Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=905d3fde073cac1e89b44c3e11999825Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Hoth Trooper WIP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Hoth Trooper WIP Reply with quote

Figured I should start a new WIP for my Hoth Trooper.

What I have so far:
Hat & Vest patterns from the Yahoo group.
Tons of Ecru denim for the jacket, vest, & hat.
Light grey leather driving gloves and medium grey duck cloth for the gloves & cuff.
Commercially bought ecru/eggshell pants.
Pre-quilted fabric in ecru and khaki for the shoulders, knees, and hat.
DH-17, ANH version.
A pair of airsoft goggles that should work with modifications.

I had started on trying to make my gaiters, but I ran into issues. Namely, once I had it at the correct print size, it refused to go together correctly. So, I have plan B. In this case, Butterick pattern number B5233, view G.
http://butterick.mccall.com/b5233-products-7495.php?page_id=916

More updates to come later.

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update number one: The vest/backpack carrier is almost done. I just need to add the quilting lines on the shoulders and get the parachute buckles for the backpack frame to attach to. I also need to order my rank bar and comm gear from our supplier.

The jacket is about half done. I've been modifying a nightshirt pattern so I can go with the smock look that seems to be screen accurate. I also have the screen-accurate "double layer" quilted yolk. I still need to raid work for a couple of sharpies to do the squares for the sleeve tab and attach the sleeves.

The hat is cut out and ready to be assembled, except for the tabs and one key piece. It looks like the pattern doesn't include a vertical crown band. Anyone else run into this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Pants still need the quilted knees added, I've been avoiding that because my quilting isn't an exact colour match, but I think a bit of weathering might take care of that.

Gloves are still in need of getting the cuffs added. I'm waiting till the jacket is finished to do those so I can make sure that the cuffs fit over the sleeves.

Boots are....yeah. Still figuring out what the best way of doing them is. My seamstress is trying to find her moccasin pattern to use. Still have plan B, which I may do anyway. I do have a pair of base shoes to use, since I don't want to kill my feet.

Once payday comes, I'm going to see about working on getting the backpack frame done, even though it isn't strictly required.

Also, how wide have people been making their web belts? And how have you been doing your buckles? I have a couple ideas, but I wanted to make sure first.

Edit: Here's a photo of the PFD/Vest. http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7301/10895611806_0a9e891b57.jpg

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 4 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KA-513 wrote:

The hat is cut out and ready to be assembled, except for the tabs and one key piece. It looks like the pattern doesn't include a vertical crown band. Anyone else run into this issue? If so, how did you resolve it?

Can you post a reference picture of what you're referring to?

Quote:
Also, how wide have people been making their web belts? And how have you been doing your buckles? I have a couple ideas, but I wanted to make sure first.

I used white duct cloth, 2 layers of fabric stiffener, and one layer of batting. Measured it out to be 2" wide (not including seam allowance) and sewed it together. You'll want to make sure it's a bit loose because it will be fitting around your mid-section (on top of the jacket and below the vest).

This belt will also be supporting the DH-17 holster and weapon, so it will need the stiffener for internal support.
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I'm referring to is the piece highlighted by the red arrow
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/10904500485_25e51e03b0_o.gif
(photo borrowed from Phyllis' build thread)

Commander Cody (Jason R.)

Medals: 4 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KA-513 wrote:
What I'm referring to is the piece highlighted by the red arrow
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7434/10904500485_25e51e03b0_o.gif
(photo borrowed from Phyllis' build thread)

Ah, okay.

If you don't have a pattern to use, it might be best to drawn one out yourself (or your seamstress). Make sure you have the goggles handy, because the goggles will be your reference point if the top brim is too tall/short/whatever.
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, thanks.

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

another possibility for the belt is to cover a nylon belt with fabric...

I can tell you from my experience anyway is that after you wear the belt a couple times that no matter what you do...the fabric belts just don't hold up well...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Alliance Infantry Detachment -> Empire Strikes Back All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: