Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8c508f628d0075f1011f614a612f5ed9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Temple Guard WIP - Approved!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ardavenport (Anne Davenport)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks really fabulous. Smile I'm sorry I missed you. But there will be other events in the future.

How did you protect that helmet in your luggage? And how much room/weight did it take? My CVII luggage was maxed out -- fortunately I didn't really need to buy anything for this trip.

Your focus determines who you are.

Last edited by ardavenport (Anne Davenport) on Thu Apr 30, 2015 1:48 am; edited 1 time in total
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! And, I must say, your costume looked amazing. Congratulations on the win!

The helmet was wrapped in a shirt which was wrapped in the belt in one of my carry-on bags. (my other carry-on item was my Stealth Clone Pilot Rainbow Dash helmet) We splurged/got a really good deal on first class tickets with sky miles, which came with three checked bags of up to 75 lbs each, so we had plenty of room to pack though it was a pain getting around the airports.
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got to see this in person at Celebration. The workmanship is outstanding.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been recovering from Celebration and haven't done anything on this build since I got back other than unpack. I should be back at it soon, but I just realized I never posted any of the other pics that I collected from various people at SWCA.

I don't have the photo credits handy, but I do have them somewhere. To those that shared pictures with me, THANK YOU!

The only two problems I had with this costume were with the temporary parts. The forearm/hand plates were the pieces for my wife's costume and were a bit small (and as a result had a fastener fail). The keys/rings were tacked on and occasionally didn't hold up to the con (small fingers, sitting, crowds, etc).

Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 4)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simply amazing...
and I am sure you got some very enthusiastic reviews by the con-going public

Very Happy

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2015 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even tell what's temporary and wouldn't have had a clue if you hadn't told us. This looks so good! biker

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really awesome work. Amazing job. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Furiafelina (Ineabelle Rodriguez)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 12 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How could I miss this!

Such beautiful work. Wow! just wow!
DrakeTarrant ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reading all 14 pages I found myself having to pick up my jaw every now and then as making a Temple guard kit as my first kit kept crossing into my mind, and having this to guide me step by step is going to make that so much easier for me.

however sadly for me I am cursed with having to wear glasses as i'm short sighted and I was hoping to make the mask one that I could wear while fighting and not have any breathing problems.

this is an out of the blue question but could you think of any way that I might be able to use this: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Combat_Gear_Masks_Glasses_TMC_V1_Strike_Steel_Half_Face_Mask_Tan.htm

as a base structure to the mask to aid in breathing and being able to talk clearly to those around me, while at the same time being the frame for me to make the mask possibly out of craft foam to make it light but still retain its shape (hopefully)
Convictions unwavering
I am me, and me alone
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrakeTarrant wrote:
reading all 14 pages I found myself having to pick up my jaw every now and then as making a Temple guard kit as my first kit kept crossing into my mind, and having this to guide me step by step is going to make that so much easier for me.

however sadly for me I am cursed with having to wear glasses as i'm short sighted and I was hoping to make the mask one that I could wear while fighting and not have any breathing problems.

this is an out of the blue question but could you think of any way that I might be able to use this: http://www.redwolfairsoft.com/redwolf/airsoft/Combat_Gear_Masks_Glasses_TMC_V1_Strike_Steel_Half_Face_Mask_Tan.htm

as a base structure to the mask to aid in breathing and being able to talk clearly to those around me, while at the same time being the frame for me to make the mask possibly out of craft foam to make it light but still retain its shape (hopefully)

Personally, I wouldn't be too concerned with the glasses component unless you are significantly limited by the type of glasses you can wear. My mask doesn't have lenses yet (may never), and instead I'm wearing sunglasses behind the mask to obscure my eyes.

While it may be possible, I think the mask you linked would impose significant challenges to getting the right look. With my resin mask, I'm able to hear quite well, though other's have difficulty hearing me and it can get hot. My plan as I finish this costume is to put in a couple of fans for air circulation as well as a mic/speaker (similar to what's used by TK's) so that I can be heard.
Rebel Legion Reserve

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a very ambitious project for a first attempt, DrakeTarrant. Usually I suggest to new members to break down the components and see if you can do something like;

Generic Jedi > Jedi General > Temple Guard

As most of the components are approvable for generic and are add-ons, that way you have a wearable costume at the different stages, as well as a cooler costume for hot weather.

It's a great looking costume, and I don't want to discourage you, I'm just thinking of cutting it down to bite-size pieces... Wink

Best of luck!

Tython Base Facebook Page
Tython Base Membership Officer
Tython Base founding Commanding Officer 2013-2014
DrakeTarrant ()

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I thought about it, the more I realised that it would have been to much of a hassle to try and get it to sit right, so yeah, that idea is now scrapped.

thought now I have 2 more question and again, sorry if these are rookie questions as there is A LOT of information on the forums I have yet to read, but in terms of the mask, can it be made out of a combination of craft foam and wire mesh so long as its painted correctly? or are there material restrictions?

the second question is in regards to the lightsaber, though it is in 2 parts,
1: in lieu of me attempting to acquire an exact replica of the Temple guards lightsaber I'm looking at the Apprentice V4 staff and the Phantasm Initiate V4, from Ultrasabers (stunt section, i have 2 consulars with sound already for my base Jedi kit) both of which have gold trimmings on a silver base, I am wondering which of the 2 would be more acceptable for the costume?

2: would the Fire Orange color offered by Ultrasabers be classified as yellow?
Convictions unwavering
I am me, and me alone
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrakeTarrant wrote:
thought now I have 2 more question and again, sorry if these are rookie questions as there is A LOT of information on the forums I have yet to read, but in terms of the mask, can it be made out of a combination of craft foam and wire mesh so long as its painted correctly? or are there material restrictions?

There wouldn't be any material restrictions necessarily, but the look would need to be appropriate. Personally, I don't think I'd be able to make the mask smooth/stiff enough with craft foam without coating in resin anyway. I do love craft foam, but it has limitations.

Quote:
the second question is in regards to the lightsaber, though it is in 2 parts,
1: in lieu of me attempting to acquire an exact replica of the Temple guards lightsaber I'm looking at the Apprentice V4 staff and the Phantasm Initiate V4, from Ultrasabers (stunt section, i have 2 consulars with sound already for my base Jedi kit) both of which have gold trimmings on a silver base, I am wondering which of the 2 would be more acceptable for the costume?

While this costume hasn't gone through the approval process yet and doesn't have a finalized standard, I expect an accurate saber will be required since every Temple Guard is shown with a specific/identical saber. This would be similar to a face character where a specific saber is required.

Quote:
2: would the Fire Orange color offered by Ultrasabers be classified as yellow?

I'm not familiar with this color, though I'd also imagine that there would be no requirement for the saber to be bladed. (It should be yellow if used that way though.)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... seems I need to get on the ball and finish this version up so I can start working on version 2!

Rebel Legion Reserve

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2016 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fire Orange is a distinctly orange colour. The best way to get yellow from Ultrasabers is by using white blades with colour discs.

Face characters have often been approved with Ultrasabers that are roughly similar to their character Saber, Ahsoka in particular has difficult sabers that are very expensive to custom make, and I've seen plenty of Ahsoka's approved with simple sabers. It would be a pity if the Legion specifies a custom staff instead of, say, an Aeon LE staff that looks great and is considerably more affordable than a custom.

Tython Base Facebook Page
Tython Base Membership Officer
Tython Base founding Commanding Officer 2013-2014
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: