Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=db6c05b7c3821ceb65e43a7c8f2cfaeaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Temple Guard WIP - Approved!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the dying info. My only experience with fabric dying was monkscloth for a Jawa robe. It turned out okay, but the dying process wasn't my favorite. Smile

I'm putting in an order from some samples of linens and microsuedes, and a good amount of raw silk (for another Jedi costume or two). The silk is coming from Dharma, so I'll add in some dyes for good measure. My hope is that the samples I'm ordering will already be the right color, but I'll get some white/natural for testing.

I think I mentioned my colored drawing (perhaps in the Satele thread). Within each color I'm pretty sure the fabrics/colors are the same, however there are some areas where I'm not sure if two segments are the same or not.

I think B and C are the same, but I'm not certain. Some images make C appear the same as A, but that could just be a shadow. A and D may be the same, but I think this will partially depend on material. If I use a microsuede for A, I think I'd want D to be a similar color but in linen/wool/something else. My intent for E is to use leather. For F, I think a bit of thin batting and then quilting the herringbone-ish pattern would give a good effect. I think F may be the same as D, but again, I think it would depend on the fabric. I'm not sure for G, but one thought would be to use the back side of the leather from E to give a contrast in color/texture.

Any thoughts/opinion?

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks fantastic! I'll have to get on my laptop to see it in full detail. I wish I had your skills at Photoshop/Illustrator! For the details on the tabbards, you might want to try Lumiere fabric paints. They're made for fabric and have a beautiful range of colors and a wonderful soft hand. I've seen them at Aaron Brothers art stores and online. Shiva Paint sticks are also awesome. Lots of brilliant metallic and non-metallic colors. They can be set with an iron and work well with stencils.
barendt ()

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it possible for you to supply the pepakura file for the rough mask?
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the fabric paint information. Some of the designs (shoulder and upper tabbard) seem painted, but the lower tabbard looks embroidered, though it looks like long stitch. I'll have to play around to see how i achieve the right look for that.

On that note, does anyone recognize the design on the shoulder? I found an image from concept art on the wall of the Jedi Temple that's close, and I'll probably use it as inspiration for the costume unless there's better reference.

barendt wrote:
Is it possible for you to supply the pepakura file for the rough mask?

My Pepakura piece isn't really accurate at all. There's so much sculpting work needed that it'd be easier to just start sculpting on a head from the craft store (what I'd do if doing it again). I do plan to use this piece as a master which I'll then either vacuform or slush cast. I've talked to a few people that would like this costume if it works out, so I want to make the helmet easy to duplicate. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My fabric pieces arrived today and I wanted to post my first impressions.

I ordered a couple of linens, a couple of tropical weight wools, and three microsuedes. The colors on the linens and wools didn't really match the Temple Guard. I really liked the wools though, and think I may have found the fabric for my next Jedi tunic (I really dislike my current one)! The microsuedes have the right look to me, for both color, weight, and texture. I know the lighting is a bit different, but these feel pretty close imo.

My fear with the microsuede is that it'll be incredibly hot. I think using the microsuede for all of the pieces would look right, but even switching the inner tunic to a more breathable fabric could help tremendously. I probably should play with dying of the wool, but I may just accept that it'll be hot and go from there. Perhaps making a portion of the inner tunic (as much as I can with the 1 yard of fabric I ordered - most pieces were 1/8 yard except for a full yard of the light microsuede), wearing it outside, and seeing if I melt would be a reasonable course. Smile
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it looks fantastic, however could you imagine SWW's in June in that material? You might not survive!
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, SWW is my main concern. For most other troops, if it was going to be outside/hot, I'd just go generic. Thankfully, SWW is very short for being in full costume. Maybe some mesh panels that would be hidden but still provide air flow could help.

Though... I can't imagine this could be any worse than Vader, even with the microsuede.
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 5 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That micro suede looks fantastic. Its very reminiscent of the original color and shadowing. Really if you only do the outside in micro and the inside in a nice thinner cotton liner you may not die so much. In the hood id do a super deep seam to fold it over nicely in the hood. I'll be honest as a customer in southern cali I only made the mistake once of using poly for a hood. It is HOT!

Please keep making posts and replies and progress on this. Its fantastic and I look forward to this every time I see you post.

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the kind words. I especially got a chuckle out of "you may not die so much." Smile

I've spent more time looking at the helmet and have come to the conclusion it's too deep. I'm estimating that I can shrink it ~2" in depth and still have plenty of room. Unfortunately, that'll require cutting it apart, modifying, and piecing back together.

Also, I've been studying the keys a bit more. It seems there are 12 in total, but as far as i can tell, only two different models. They appear in different colors and different orientations. Below is a quick sketch for one of the two.

Active Legion Member

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome work!!

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I performed a bit of surgery on the helm today. As I've been working with it, I realized that it was both too deep and too wide at the back. I cut the front off, removed about 1 1/4", then split the back and removed about a finger's width from the middle. The result is somewhat tight fight now, but once cast I'll get a bit more space where the foam currently is. I think it looks much closer to the reference now.

There are some mismatched edges now, so I'll fiberglass the inside for strength, and then work the surface flat with bondo.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW this is amazing work, I can't wait to see it finished Cool
PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing! I like the Microsuede a lot! It sounds counterintuitive but natural fabrics like wool, cotton etc breathe really well from my reenactment experience. Maybe try those fabrics close to your skin? Keep up the great work!
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the microsuede too, though my initial thought is that the close-to-skin fabrics are the same as the trim of the hood. I'm still working on helmet/patterning, but I may hold off on any fabric order until after March 7th when I'll presumably have more reference material! I have plenty of saber work to keep me busy and I have about all the reference I need there.

The progress is rather subtle, but I think I'm done with shaping the front of the mask now. I still have some depressions to fill/level and eye holes to square up, but it's now about finishing rather than shaping.

Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Every time I see this build I am blown away by the detail. Your work is outstanding, I think the fabric you have chosen is very close and while it might be hot, I think that getting the look right is more important.

Btw those keys look great! Also colour coding the costume parts is s great idea.

There are other ways of adding cooling like wearing an ice vest under your tunic for example.

Just curious would very small fans fit inside the mask?

Also have you started work on your saber?

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: