Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=4775e83a11a537099c1bf6c2da1dcde0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

To Build or Buy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MetroJosh (Joshua)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: To Build or Buy Reply with quote

A really simple question, to buy or to build a saber? and Where and how? Looking for a saber for events and cosplay etc
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, this is a loaded question. How old are you? I need to know how many years of life you have left so I know when to stop talking! LOL Just kidding.

You’ve got two main directions to go: (1) a show ‘saber that you can do some dualing with, but…these can and will break if you’re on the abusive side or (2) a stunt ‘saber that you can abuse fairly thoroughly without fear of breaking it (too much).

Show sabers cost more than stunt sabers, whether you buy or build.

There are a number of sites where you can buy or build. Buying will definitely get you a saber quicker. You can find these for somewhere around $100-$125, depending on who you get them from (you can probably find some cheaper, and I KNOW you can find some a LOT more expensive). Building a show saber can also get up there in price. But regardless….I wouldn’t spend more than $200 on any lightsaber, period…that that’s just me.

Places like Amazon and ThinkGeeks has movie sabers that a lot of people use. Others chose to design their own at sites like customsabershop
http://www.thecustomsabershop.com/
At thecustomsabershop, be sure to click on the “Modular Hilt System” tab, then go to the MKS Builder. Take some to eat and drink….because you’ll spend HOURS there!

The main thing is (for the purchased sabers) be sure it’s not a “toy”, meaning there are some oversized lightsabers made mostly of plastic that might look okay from a distance, but are obviously toys.

Another place to visig is ultrasabers. They’ve got a HUGE range of sabers ranging from cheap stunt sabers to fancy show sabers with sound:
http://www.ultrasabers.com/

My advise…browse the Lightsaber forums and see what others have done. And be sure to ask questions and post pics of lightsabers you’re interested in buying or building.

One last thing…try to stay away from spikey, evil looking lightsabers that “scream” Sith. We’ve not really had one of these come through the cue yet…but if one comes through that is really crazy and Sithy looking, it’s conceivable that we might not allow it. What am I talking about? Something like this:
http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/stunt-darkwarglaive.htm
And this is a “reserved” lightsaber…I’ve seen some that were beyond crazy with long spikes.

And…if you keep the inner diameter of the inner tube around 1.125”, then you can build your own from plumbing parts from your local home improvement center, then have enough space inside to add an LED for a blade and sound.
MetroJosh (Joshua)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

Ha I'm 27 i just love Star Wars

Now I would prefer a stunt saber, these both have removable blades yes? i have done medeval renactment with a group and i own suits pf armor and a hand 1/2 norman sword I've been told I'm a natural swordsman done fencing before etc its been a couple of years but I can get back into the SWING of it pretty quickly again. i look at the first link and something like this

http://www.ultrasabers.com/DominixV2-p/zdiy-prophecy.htm

WOW so cool. but what else would i need to buy and would this survive as a stunt saber?
Electronically I'm abit usless i wouldn't i wouldn't know how to add the sound and led to a hilt. I own a master replica vader saber metal hilt belt clip but they dont have removable blades. So I'm looking for something not to complicated but could take a beating.
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, their stunt sabers say "stunt lightsabers" somewhere in the listing.

You can beat a non-stunt saber around a bit, but...any lightsaber, stunt or otherwise, might not hold up too well to the rigors of beating the crap out of each other like is done with real swords. I mean...we're talking plastic blades.

Most products from that vendor come with a lighted blade. They may not come with sound. And both a blade and sound are NOT required for approval with the Rebel Legion....only that you have a lightsaber hilt.

What else to buy? A covertec of clip for your belt so you can hang the lightsaber on.

Then....there's the question do you want a removable blade or not? I prefer removable blades...that way I can swing it or hang it on my belt Wink
MetroJosh (Joshua)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:02 pm    Post subject: Haha Reply with quote

Obviously I realise I would be able to swing it around like my sword. As much of a shame that is however.

From Ultra sabers? Problem is I'm in UK then shipping costs add up etc etc if only i could find a place in the UK.

Now I do have what is probably a really stupid question, I would like a removable blade but er where do you put it when your out?
MetroJosh (Joshua)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: This Reply with quote

Is this the correct clip?

http://www.jedi-robe.com/112,2444,star_wars_lightsabers.Covertec_Lightsaber_Belt_Clip.html
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's right and a good price for a covertec clip.

Now....just make sure your lightsaber is made to use one. Otherwise, your lightsaber would have a D-ring on it, and you'd have a clip on your belt. This D-ring/clip system is what Old Ben and Darth Vader used in the original trilogy films.
MetroJosh (Joshua)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: What do you think? Reply with quote

I'm extremely tight for money so how about this cheap and effective?

https://www.ultrasabers.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=INITIATEV2

£80 including shipping charges to me over here in the UK

thats with a thick blue blade, standard 32" amd i guess i need to add the covertech wheel?

Last edited by MetroJosh (Joshua) on Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
MetroJosh (Joshua)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:30 pm    Post subject: That Site Reply with quote

That jedi robe link I sent you of the clip the sell Jedi costumes. could i buy and ot and other bits from there and then dye them to my wanting or am i not allowed to do that?
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lightsaber you linked from ultrasabers is good.

Just make sure of the attachment system for the lightsaber. Many come with the little ring thingie that fits the covertec clips. But, I wouldn't buy a covertec clip until you know you can use it. Yeah, $14 (US) isn't much....but you also don't want to throw even that much money away.

As for dyeing stuff? Umm...that's in your other thread? I'll need to look at that.

Also....you're in the UK, right? You should have access to the Elstree Base forums:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=34
There's a number of exceptional Jedi at Elstree Base. You should introduce yourself there...and then try to meet up with them on a troop, to meet some folks and get some one-on-one help. It would also be good to see their Jedi costumes up close and person. I know most of the Jedi there and they're all SUPER nice Very Happy
MetroJosh (Joshua)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:24 pm    Post subject: Just Waiting Reply with quote

http://www.jedi-robe.com/49,star_wars_costumes___adult.html

I'm just waiting to be activated on the Uk forums at the mo.

I mean its a pretty simple saber but has a thick tube and will do the job for awhile right?

I'm just wondering if it will be acceptable to buy parts of my costume premade?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: