Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=beea66f0e4754834adb8e9c5bbc6d04aMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ep. II Senate Gown, done
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2013 4:44 am    Post subject: Ep. II Senate Gown, done Reply with quote

I've been tossing around a few ideas and while I am likely going to dip my toes in the Star Wars costuming pool with an attempt at a Sabe battle outfit I want to make the Amidala senate gown from EpII someday. I think it would be an amazing challenge that is still in the doable realm for my skillset.

My question is the velvet fabric. My research leads me to believe a perfect version of the fabric was once sold by Silk Connection but it has long since sold out. So where's a girl who's new to the scene likely to find herself some "flame" burnout velvet. I'm not really looking forward to burning out the entire jacket by hand.

Sorry if this has been asked an answered in the past. I did a search but didn't come up with much.

Last edited by Kahna () on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:12 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)
Assistant Membership Officer
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge hello and welcome!

I LOVE this dress, but enough about my opinions.

Yes, They stopped producing this particular material a number of years ago, which leads me to say to you that in the circumstance that you just happen to find that material second hand.There is probably not going to be enough to make the gown (and if you buy just a yard or two here and there, or have to make some and use some of the real stuff, it might end up looking to patchy). Burning your own velvet is totally doable. A number of us have attempted it in the past.

Your best bet might be to find the nearest shade of purple velvet (buy a yard) and just plain practice. Smile I feel like this could be stamped with some burn out fluid and a couple of home made stamps and turn out just beautifully! Would be nice to just plain find some rather than going to such measures!
Good luck to you!

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Wed Nov 13, 2013 3:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa apparently found some fabric, if you read her thread here - http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=52489
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fabric pops up once in a while. Just keep looking.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any excuse to go to the fashion district is fine by me- the store where I got mine has had it consistently stocked for a year now. It's polyester and will be harder to dye, but it's $5/yd.

Shoot me a PM if you want me to pick it up for you!

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooo. Thank you so much for the offer. 5$ a yard is too good to pass up. Shipping to hawaii could be a problem. Would the amount needed fit in a large flat rate box you think? I heard 13 yards is enough. Hmmmmm.
Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, even without the velvet in hand I've started to work on this project. I am on my third and hopefully final iteration of bodice mockups, and I have the inner and outer sleeves almost done. I think the outer one needs a bit of adjustment.

I also managed to find a nice dark purple fabric but I'm not 100% happy with it. I may just end up using it as mockup fabric. My mother had a very good point when I spoke with her about fabric choices. She said if I'm going to spend hours upon hours making this gorgeous costume I owed it to myself to get really quality fabric, even if it means adjusting my budget.

I've also done a bit of beading. I plan on using a tambour hook to secure the cording for the embroidery, as it promises to be much faster than a crouching stitch. In anticipation of that I have been practicing with the hook while I bead. It's hard. Really hard. Mostly because the fabric I am using isn't sheer. Fortunately when I practiced tacking down some cording it was much easier. I only needed to see one side of the fabric to ensure I didn't drop any stitches.

My bead work so far. Most of the sead beads have been tacked down using a tambour hook. The bugle and sequins were done wih a beading needle.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking gorgeous so far! I can't wait to see further progress. This costume is really in the fine details.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, dilemma. . .

I want to have the bodice as finished as possible before I go visit the in-laws on the 18th of this month. I have the bodice and inner sleeves all good to go, but I don't want to cut out the outer sleeve until I finish the embroidery. My problem is that I can't even start the embroidery unit after Christmas, since I couldn't find anyone who would ship the cording I needed to Hawaii. I ended up shipping it to my parent's house and I will be picking it up when we visit them after Christmas with the in-laws.

Why the big rush to get it almost finished before Christmas? Because my mother-in-law is a seamstress, and I really wanted to get her help with the final fitting of the bodice. Both to ensure a nice fit, and for a little mother-in-law, daughter-in-law bonding time. I did marry the woman's only son and then make him move half way across the world. I need all the brownie points I can get, and I'm hoping sharing her interests can net me some.

I'm thinking I will get it all done up with just the inner sleeves, then have my mother-in-law help me fit it. When I get back I can finished the outer sleeves and sew them on by hand. It might not be super pretty, but you shouldn't be able to tell underneath the coat. Good idea? Bad idea?

In related news, the sequined appliqué is about 1/3rd of the way done. I will probably save the rest for the plane. I am finding just sewing rows of sequins is far more boring than making the pretty brooch, and it may require a captive audience, so to speak.
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the out sleeves can be added later.

Sounds like some great family time. Let us know what progress is made and good luck!
padme9055 (Tabitha McCurdy)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could also attach the outer sleeves to the coat if you need to.

Tabitha: a daughter, big sister, screenwriter, costumer, seamstress.
Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the bodice is sewn together. It does need a nice pressing though

I still need to add a zipper and the sleeves are just folded under, not sewn yet. I think the sleeves may still need a bit of fussing with. They could probably fit snugger. They also look very blue in these pictures but I swear they are dark purple.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The iron is a stitcher's best friend. Mr. Green That will make it look a ton sharper, but I am liking your seamlines already. I look forward to seeing how your fittings work out.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Kahna ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On vacation, so I haven't made much progress.

I am 60% done with the appliqué for the bodice. Those sequins are the devil.
I ordered the coat fabric today. The fabric shop will be shipping it off on Monday. I got 10 yards, hope that's enough. I'm going to have to make sure my mock ups are perfect.
The cording is at my parents house awaiting my arrival.
I am preeeety sure "Santa" is getting me a dress form for Christmas. At least that is what his amazon account is hinting at. (I wasn't snooping, it just happened to be on his computer when I went to look up something else...honest...)

Now to study up on dying polyester fabric.

A million thanks to Lisa for sharing the name of the shop that carries the velvet. I am so excited and can't wait to get it.
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us posted.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: