Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9ae90d8c926f29bd611780de877c42a2Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

BCO election 2013/14: Answers from Anna (Mara Skywalker)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave -> Nordic Archive
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question too. How are you bringing all the information together and make NB an active club? Active, meaning active as our counter part NG is. Meaning also that what is your aim to get the members to put their NB costume on more often than NG one. I hope you understand the point of the question.

Well, I feel like we are slowly getting there. When I joined, we weren't many in Denmark, but now, we're are a total of 11 members! That's impressive, and it goes to show how much it does to be open and honest. When I joined, I talked to some of the other girls, saying: "Well, I wasn't sure if I should join, because, well, there's not really much happening, but well, then I figured, I might as well join and try to do something about that"
Then another one joined. And another one. Then, they got interested in Legoland, and another one joined too.

And suddenly we were enough members to have our own little activity at Star Wars weekend.

But getting members active is a hard task, and one that is not easily solved, as there are many aspects to it: We need to get a sense of equality with the NG - we wont truly get active in NB, I feel, until we are fully acknowledged in our sister group. We need to be able to speak openly with each other, and stop the trash talk and secretive behaviour. Why do we need to hide things from each other?

I'm not saying we should see each other's elections or things like that, but lots more could be out in the open I feel.

Also, we need to start taking pride in being who we are! The good guys. I've mentioned our friendly faces before, and I kid you not. I really think we should use this more.

And again, if we get good RCs, they will help in at least making sure the members voices are heard.

Then, of course, we need to be on the same page - and I mean that both figuratively and literally speaking. We need to find the direction we wish to go and then go there together. And we need to be on the same forum. Again, something we will look into soon after the election, and NOTHING is set in stone, I tell you that.

As for getting members to put on their NB costumes more often?

well, I do that all the time Wink

Again, I do think putting on the NB costumes will be a lot easier if we get some sense of pride. Some sense of: hey! I'm a Rebel, and that's GREAT! I'm the HERO! Kids love me!

Maybe we should try think of things like a child would: Truly wonderful the mind of a child is. Children love the good guys.

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. In the beginning of the week I asked you to list a SWOT of the whole base. Our base though is divided and could please give me a short description of strengths and weaknesses of each country in the base, and what you think should be the focus of each country in order for the base to grow.

Well, I will start with Denmark:

our strenght I believe is also our weakness: While we've grown a lot the last 1½, we've ended up being almost the same bunch as the "skywalker girls" - this means most of us know each other very well, and we work very well together, both at our sewing weekends, but also when out doing events, and in regards to who's good at what

But being such a group of close friends can also easily scare other people off. It might seem like we've known each other forever, and it can get intimidating getting into the group - even if we see ourselves as quite open and easygoing.

As for the other countries: I am going to be completely honest here, as I believe that IS the way to go. I wouldn't know. That is what I mean, when I say we need to be better at informing the rest of the base of what is going on. Strength in Norway? I wouldn't know? Weaknesses in Sweden? I have no idea. I could guess that the distances to travel to some events might prevent people from going, but I don't know for certain.
I can take a guess and say I think Finland is having a very strong camaraderie, but I wouldn't know for certain. I do know the Fins are SUPER at getting great events together and building awesome stuff. But I don't know much more than that.

There. I said it. I would like to know much more, though Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2. None of you have presented an XO, which I think is bad. The CO and XO are supposed to function as a team and it would be nice to know the other part of the team that will get your vote. Also since we all knew when the elections were going to be it makes me wonder how much you have thought about this, since you haven't had time to find an XO. Do you feel prepared for the role of CO?

Well, I can start by rectifying this:

I have asked Jazz to be my XO, and he has accepted. I am very happy to have Jazz on board, and look forward to working with him.

As for how much I have thought about this: I do hope it shows in my answers, that this is not a position and just woke up one morning and figured I'd go for. I have actually put a lot of thought into this. It's not that I haven't had the time to find and XO. I wanted to be sure I had taken the right decision. As I've said several times before, I think you're all very nice people. But many of you I don't know that well, which makes it kinda hard to find the right person for the job, when you know you will be looking outside of your own country.

I feel prepared, yes.

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3a. Anna, you have been XO for more than half a year. Why haven't you started implementing your plans for the base already? How can we as members trust that you are actually going to accomplish your goals, and that it's not just promises in order to get elected.

I know more could have happened. I know more could have been done. If there is one thing I learned from this year, it is that one person cannot do this job alone. There need to be more people involved.

Camilla posted this, and it may, may not explain some of it:

Quote:
I read this question from Johanna, and I feel the need to say something. The XO and CO are supposed to be a team and yes, things were promised last time that may not have been fulfilled. Unfortunately, things happened in my life that made it difficult for this to work. School completely overwhelmed me, and I should have asked Anna to take over the role of CO, but, being in the midst of things, I wasn't able to see things clearly. Hindsight is unbearably clear sometimes. I want to sincerely apologize for this, and let you know that Anna sure doesn't carry all the blame for things not happening in the base during the last year.

Camilla has had a hard time this year, and has sometimes been hard to reach in regards to NB business. Does this excuse anything? maybe, maybe not. I guess I could have pushed harder and tried harder to get things through, but there's a fine line between taking control and making mutiny, and granted. I was afraid of crossing that line.

This is what you call learning from experience. I should probably have faced Camilla head on and told her things weren't going the right way. I didn't. I kept having this thought that "I'm only the XO, so, I can't really do anything", which was wrong of me. And something I truly regret.

so, how can you trust me? Well, trust is a thing not easily earned. But I will in return ask you this: If I didn't think I could do it, why would I run for CO? To hold a fancy title and do nothing with it, except making people mad at me? Well, what good will that do me? Believe it or not: I don't like people being mad at me. It's not nice Razz

I should have tried pushing Camilla harder, and by not doing so, I am guilty of things going the way they are. I can only ask that you see the logic in me not wanting to run, if I didn't think I could do something while being CO. As I said. I actually don't like people being mad at me Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What will you do to bring us all together and make us stronger as a group?

Will you travel to each country or will that job fall on the CR and will that person have free raines to bring the group together or will you draw up a generic model to follow?

I would if I could, but in reality, I might not be able to travel too much, if it means taking fridays and mondays off from work. One of the downsides of working at a school, is, you kinda need to be there, when the kids are there.
As for making a generic model, no, I will not do such a thing. There should be some common ground as to what the CRs (or RCs) should do - such as making sure information is read and asking the members for their opinions on this and that, but as far as what kinds of things should be done in each country for making that country stronger as a group, that will be up to the RC - who, hopefully, knows those members better than I do Smile

As it is, each country have only a small amount of events every year.
What can you do to find more events and get our foot in their doors in the future?

again, visibility. We should always make it known that NB is at events too. Flyers and business cards are the easiest, cheapest way to get started.

And my last question!
What do you think are your own greatest strength and weakness when it comes to this job?

uh, tough question Smile
My strenght, I believe is that I want this. I want to help NB become a better, more active, tightly knit together bunch of people Smile
Weakness: uhm, I can get sorta emotional and I'd like to please everyone. That is not doable while being the CO, and that can be a bit hard sometimes.

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had all the questions copied to a word document to answer them, and I just realized I forgot to copy and paste an answer to one of Lora's questions in here. I hope you wont hold it against me Wink There's been so many really good and constructive questions, and I've really had to think about some of them Smile

How do you plan on financing PR and stand material? In my brief time as XO I looked at the possibility of getting a way to finance those things and found a lot of walls in the RL.

This is a tricky question, and no easy answer comes to mind here. As you do know, Lora, the two of us have talked a lot about this when I took over your role of XO.

The rules of RL are very strict as to what we can, or cannot do in regards to getting any funds.

We are allowed to make special runs of merchandise, with the cost being a little higher, so that we may raise a little that way. However, it wont get us anywhere near any banners for a long time

There is also the possibility of members donating money for material, but, we aren't that many members, and I am not as naive as to think everyone would want to chip in with say 100 dkr to get us a banner.

one way to go could be this:

We need to find local sponsors: Get out there, get ourselves visible contact graphic schools in our local areas, try to get their help. If they wont donate anything, they might be willing to at least give us a discounted price. And who knows, if we find the right contacts, we might be able to find someone in each country who'd be willing to sponsor our base. We are after all doing charity work Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe it is time for my final statement:

I hope my answers show that this is something I want. This is not something I came up with over night. I've spent a huge amount of time pondering and answering your questions, and I really hope you will give me a chance to show what I can do.

I have high hopes for NB in the next year, and I believe I can help make a difference in getting a better working base for all of us.

I hope you trust me when I say that I would not have run for this position, if I didn't think I could make it. It is a huge responsibility to take on, and one I am willing to deal with.

I can do this.

Mynocks deliver Babies
Suzijedi (Suzanne Stelling)
LCJ Support Staff
LCJ Support Staff

Medals: 13 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Answer thread closed and locked.
RL Photoshop Team
Rebel Legion UK
501st UK Garrison #4696
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases Europe -> Nordic Base - Wampa's Cave -> Nordic Archive All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: