Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aa581d4397996963373a37a8f2ec51dfMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rogue9607's Small Saber

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration17 (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Rogue9607's Small Saber Reply with quote

After finishing the Jawa costume for my mother-in-law and getting her approved for SWW, I shifted my focus to a quick hilt build for myself. I'd been using a Mace MR that, unfortunately, does not have a removable blade. For SWW I knew I'd need something to hang from my belt, so the race against the clock began.

I designed something that would make use of my scrap aluminum. I intended it to be small and I'd eventually carry two of them. I managed to get the parts assembled for the parades last weekend, though it certainly wasn't done.

I knew I'd be working on it during the week between weekends, and this week I made good progress. The hilt is generally complete now, though there are a few things I'm considering tweaking since I'm not totally happy with the proportions. I don't have any electronics in it yet, but I do have the switch and recharge port installed.

I'm done now at least until after this weekend. I think the next step will be to add the electronics.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing around with colors for the blade holder, and am leaning towards black. I'm currently building the matching saber and will likely finalize the color/pommel etch once that's done.

KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG, that etching is amazing!!! What a gorgeous saber!!!!
Dun Got Class Costuming Creations
rotccole ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice saber!

What did you use to get the detail on there? Ink?
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you!

For the etching, I used the same process as I did for my wife's Satele saber (http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41332) with a laser printer and PnP Blue toner transfer sheets.
rotccole ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work! I am most impressed!
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rogue9607 wrote:
Thank you!

For the etching, I used the same process as I did for my wife's Satele saber (http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41332) with a laser printer and PnP Blue toner transfer sheets.

Yeah, I decided to sticky that thread Wink
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... it's been a long time with no updates. Actually, this build has been idle until the past couple of weeks with the ramp up to Dragon*Con. I decided to quickly add light to the saber so that I had something other than a Mace MR to walk around with.

It has an RGB LED (same LED as my wife's saber), li-ion battery, recharge port, and a set of piano switches in the pommel. I know the switches are a bit odd, but I wanted something that would allow me to easily to change colors, and this was how I could get it functional for the con. Plus, that bottom piece is just a thin piece of aluminum that I can replace if/when I install a more permanent solution. I'd like to add a selector dial and an activation button, and I have an idea of how I'd like to do it, but it requires time currently taken up with other projects.

With the piano switches, I can get red (don't worry, not used with my Jedi costume Smile ), green, blue, yellow, purple, cyan, and a slightly purple silver. In the photo below, the bottom saber in the upper middle/right photos is a Mace MR for comparison.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Lightsabers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: