Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6a2e276ff5f67c5537970ed61126388bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Chefs chewbacca build
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive found out that PVA is a different type to what i thought..

Heres an interesting video

http://youtu.be/lKHGNh6UvZA
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep: PVA (polyvinyl alcohol). I'm a big fan of wax, then PVA on top. I've heard of people brushing on PVA and it working.

Also hairspray has been used as a replacement for PVA as well!
Mold release, PVA and hairspray

This is another video that explains fiberglass molds and mold release:

I think the real magic is in the wax. If you use a good wax and do a LOT of layers, I doubt anything will stick to it. Wax + PVA is a a perfect guarantee.

View my profile on: Rebel Legion - CloneTroopers.Net

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Todzilla,

I'm now awaiting the order to be sent to me.

Ive ordered this for waxing...its a high temp wax

and some pva

I'm looking forward to the next stage now....
Johnny ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good so far! I'm a bit behind you as I fiberglassed the front a couple of nights ago, hoping to fiberglass the back tonight. I made the mistake of doing it in my basement and the whole house stinks of the resin 2 days later! I didn't use PVA or wax, just acrylic spray and some release 200. I may be a couple of days getting the clay out. I am also planning to use my 2nd fiberglass coat over the clay block out as my under skull, but I'm planning on using glass cloth rather than mat, as I watched a video that said that the glass will be smoother, lighter, and just as strong. How are you planning to secure the 2nd layer after your take your clay out when injecting? It seems like it would just fall into the mould without clay in place.
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Johnny, it sounds like your doing a cracking job.

After i lay the clay in and wax the inner shell, then i will fiberglass and as soon as i pry the two apart i will replace the second half back in.
Then i will drill holes on the seams for the nuts/bolts to go through. So when injecting the silicone it all holds together.

Like you i will use the second inner shell as the unerskull, it just seems logical to do it that way.

cheers
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So while I'm awaiting for the mould release ingredients ive lined the shell with clay. As todzilla said he would lay it in thinner, ive taken that advise and laid in half of a quarter inch.(1/8th)

Ive also ordered the silicone ......

cheers

Last edited by chefhawk () on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:54 am; edited 1 time in total
gulywhumpr (James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am watching this thread with great interest because my own Wookie mask build is on the horizon. I am really afraid of this step. Like, having nightmares at night about building the mask. There is still one point that I am very unsure of, and that is how you make the latex mask. I understand that you make a cast of your face, that you build up the wookie in clay and then make a cast of that. What I don't quite get is do you make a mold of both your face (without any buildup) and a mold of the wookie built-up face and then clamp them both together so there is a space in the center with your face on one side and the wookie face on the other? Then fill that space with the latex so you have a mask with your impression on the bottom and the wookie face on the top? Is that right? I have looked at several of these threads and that has not been super clear to me.

I am at the early thinking stage of the mask build and will get a book and watch some youtube videos on mask making, but it would help me see the future if someone could clarify this in a basic/simple overview.

thanks.
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James...
Heres my way of doing it. The reason is because i'm using silicone as opposed to using latex.

which one will you be using?

I would do different steps for latex.

Let me know and i will try to help.

cheers
gulywhumpr (James)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chefhawk wrote:
Hi James...
Heres my way of doing it. The reason is because i'm using silicone as opposed to using latex.

Is there a link missing?

chefhawk wrote:

cheers

I think I might have read your, or someone else's, post on silicone, and I was thinking of using silicone for its durability. Sorry, I used latex in the general form for mask making. This step scares the bejesus out of me, but you guys have a lot of great info that makes me feel like I can do it.
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gulywhumpr wrote:
chefhawk wrote:
Hi James...

Is there a link missing?

chefhawk wrote:

cheers

I think I might have read your, or someone else's, post on silicone, and I was thinking of using silicone for its durability. Sorry, I used latex in the general form for mask making. This step scares the bejesus out of me, but you guys have a lot of great info that makes me feel like I can do it.

sorry..my mistake, i was going to list the stages, but then i thought it would be easier to find out what product your going to use.

I was going to use latex myself(as i was comfortable using it, as i have previously made a mask using it in the past), but i decided i wanted to try silicone.
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so the stages for my build are...

1) lifecast my face only
2) use life cast on a board/wood to sculpt chewie onto..leaving my eye sockets untouched and free from any clay
3) prep the sculpt of chewbacca for moulding (partially filling in the nostrils,filling the gap in the mouth area, making sure theres no undercuts, use some wax as a release agent)
4) paint on two layers of gelcoat - waiting 20 mins before layers
5)layer up with fiberglass and resin paying attention to making a strong edge for drilling later
6)leave for two days to cure
7)remove the sculpt/clay and lifecast from fiberglass shell - took about 4 hours
Cool check fiberglass shell for any weak spots and repair
9) lay in/spread clay the thickness i want the silicone to be.
10)wax inside of the fiberglass shell about 5 times (wax on - wax off)
11) spray on two coats of pva fiberglass release
...tbc

hope that helps...
cheers
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..I wasnt happy with the clay at the sides, so i added more.

Then it was a case of waxing coats or release (Honey plus wax - hi temp)

It took about twenty/thirty mins between each waxing. You can tell its ready when its set hard.

Today ive done two coats of PVA release..that take about 40 mins to an hour to set between coats.

I haven't got a spray compressor , so i painted it on.

here it is after one coat

then after two..

Thats all for tonight.

cheers

Last edited by chefhawk () on Sun Aug 06, 2017 10:57 am; edited 1 time in total
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last coat before gellcoating and fiberglassing.

I will do a couple of thin gellcoats and then two layers of mat with the second layer that will be close to my skin in fiberglass tissue, then a gellcoat on top.

heres what i will be using

cheers

Last edited by chefhawk () on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
chefhawk ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after the wax and pva have dried, it was time to cut the fiberglass to size and arrange it accordingly

I didnt go with a gelcoat as planned, i went straight into laying up the fiberglass matting

always where protection, these fumes are a killer

Then i did a gellcoat which is made of 1 part resin to 1 part bond/bodyfiller and with the corresponding setting agents for each

then i finished with three layers of tissue.

Dont forget this is not a victimless crime!...many bothan spies died (cheap paintbrushes and rollers) Shocked

next step...leave for 24 hours and then drill holes in outer flange for nuts/washers and bolts.

cheers

Last edited by chefhawk () on Sun Aug 06, 2017 11:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! I'm curious to know how your PVA and wax works out. Remember you will probably have "vacuum lock" so don't panic if it's hard to pry apart at first. I used Popsicle sticks. As I started to pry, I pop a stick in, and then move down the line.

Just pray you made the seams where you are prying apart from thick. I didn't Sad and has some cracking. It's all good because you can go back, glue it, and add more fiberglass. But the better it's done the first time, the less chance you have to redo.

Looks great so far! Your build thread is a blessing and a curse to me. I like seeing it to remind me of what I had to go through. But I'm glad those days are behind me Wink !!!

View my profile on: Rebel Legion - CloneTroopers.Net

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Page 2 of 18

Jump to: