Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90c51182e67f16e336ea3dc01bb675d1Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Green Cut Velvet Padme

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:12 pm    Post subject: Green Cut Velvet Padme Reply with quote

So since they have announced a date for the next celebration I now have a deadline for my next Rebel costume which is the Green cut/devore velvet gown from Ep III.
I have pretty much worked out I will need to Custom Double dye the Velvet to get the black backing with the green bronze colour. but this i'm not overly worried about as I want to make a toile of the dress in something like velveteen or some other non stretch pile so I can get an idea of how many metres I will need.

My first big question is on the sleeve lining fabric.
I'm thinking of getting the design printed but I'm having issues working out the scale of the diamond design from the images on the net. Does anyone have the Swatch in the Dressing a Galaxy book, who can give me an idea of the size of the design so I can play with it in something to come up with the repeat (I have the standard edition of the book but I believe this dress was one of the swatch cards in the limited edition)

This is going to be a SLOW project as will work on it when I have the time and funds but hoping this thread will help me retain some focus (and hey if I put it out there there is a better chance of me actually making it in time to take with me)

for those needing a reminder of the dress (image from Padawans Guide)

Edit to Fix grammar and spelling to make some of it make actually sense

Last edited by Jedi Kat (Katherine) on Tue May 13, 2014 11:01 am; edited 1 time in total
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Green Cut Velvet Padme - sleeve lining ? Reply with quote

Jedi Kat wrote:
My first big question is on the sleeve lining fabric.
I'm thinking of getting the design printed but I'm having issues working out the scale of the diamond design from the images on the net.

If you look at the fourth picture on this page, you can see the pattern scale pretty clearly near the (image-wise) right arm. Each diamond is approximately as high as "the link of the mannequin's middle finger that's closest to the hand" and "as wide as one and a half fingers" of the mannequin.
It would probably help to photoshop yourself into that particular exhibit image, overlaying yourself with the mannequin (or vice versa) so that eyes, shoulders and waist (just a tad beneath the purple sash) match. If you would hold up a ruler in that photo, you would be very easily able to exactly tell which diamond size you would proportionally need.
Padme of Hidden Lake ()
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago we did a massive group run of this fabric. Jenn (I'm spacing on her last name but she does the amazing drawings as well - DeVolle? something like that.) spent months figuring it out and ordering it with a printer who required something like 50-100 yards to be ordered to print it. And most of us only need 4 or 5 to line the sleeves so we all put in to reach the minimum. I'm sure she still has all the information she used to create it (she drew up the mock up for him) and could possibly have extra yardage that no one bought at the time.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the info.

I have started but mostly currently working on the under dress - trying to work out how to make the hoops removable to make it easier to transport especially internationally. pretty sure I have worked out the design and will post a image of it when I have a better drawing.
At the moment this has been put aside for other projects I need to finish in the next couple of months but will be a focus project for next year.
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this got put on hold over last few months due to cons and birthday's and Christmas but now I plan to get started on it. I contacted Jenn who was an amazing lady who gave me some ideas on yardages and the sleeve lining pattern.
I brought the Spoonflower swatch book as thats where I'm looking at getting it printed most likely on the cotton silk. But need to play with getting a repeat pattern that I can upload befor I order swatch.
I spent a couple of hours last night working out velvet as going to custom dye it so I can get the black backing but not sure on colour mix for the green so will order a green brown and yellow and do a couple of test dyes to see what looks best- should order everything for that buy end of this month.
And today I'm finally going to make a step I should have 6 months ago and buy a roll of drafting paper and maybe some block card but hopefully will have actual process by end of Jan.
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally actual having done stuff on this costume.

using the sleeve lining pattern image that Jenn sent me and images of the original fabric, i worked out part of the design was missing so being crazy and having only rarely used photo shop I decided to try to come up with a closer repeat to have printed

and after about 3 hours work I have a clean repeat with the little triangle bits added. (writing is due to it being hosted online and I want to be able to keep track of which version it is)
origanal Swatch

Crop of Image taken by KayDee at FIDM

I still need to do more work on it (I think I need to adjust the aspect ratio and make the diamonds not so square but that was the easiest way to create them and alter the colours a bit, green needs a bit more yellow and purple maybe a little lighter or more pink not sure which yet)
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I have a "bit" of Spoonflower experience, I think I can offer some input...

First, your design repeat looks great; but the colors will have to be lighter. As in: Quite a bit lighter. The way they are now, that design, depending on the fabric it's printed on, will look almost black and close to non-saturated.

When designing for Spoonflower, please do keep in mind that the screen you look at while designing is backlit, meaning your monitor emits light to display colors.
Fabric, on the other hand, is NOT backlit. So the light emitted by your screen, which makes colors brighter, is missing from the fabric print; and you have to design brighter than what you see on screen to actually make it print that way.

Second, and I already mentioned that, how the colors print greatly depends on the fabric they're printed on at Spoonflower. To have dark, vibrant colors print properly (= "as seen on screen"), your best bet is to have the design printed on one of Spoonflower's polyester fabrics, i. e. the Silky Faille.

If I can help with possible RGB codes for the colors, please let me know; but for that I would also have to know which fabric you plan to have the design printed on.
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now down to just over 11 months to have this done so I pulled it out again. I'm having issues with this project as others keep getting put in front of it for local cons (we have have 3). I also was having issues with Corel photo shop and the way it was saving the file I'm using for the sleeve pattern as it losing crispness of the 2 colours and I would need to go back to clean it up AGAIN every time i was trying to modify it. Not sure what I did differently this week but it's now staying exactly as I want it and i have resized and recoloured it (may still need to go lighter but this is much much lighter than last version). I'm going to get this printed on the cotton silk as I home this will have some sheen but should have enough weight to it and test swatch is ordered

I have started on the math for the under dress, but I wasn't sure if the bottom hoop was to big so I pulled out a roll of lace I was given a while ago and some tubing I had on hand. turns out the plastic was too light

I threaded the tubing with wire which helped a enough to tell that at 330 cm circumference the bottom hoop was too big but the second hoop at 300 cm circumference works out much better

I don't have a photo with it on me. I'll start drafting the pattern hopefully this weekend around events.
Jedi Kat (Katherine)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so I started on the patterning and sewing
I found black irrigation tubing as a better hoop, it's still flexible but holds it's shape better.
I made a toile with a 3m hoop

but we decided it was way to small, so a new hoop (which is the black ring on floor) was made. The new hoop is just over 4m. Today I redrafted the the shirt but I still have to mode the bodice (decreasing amount taken out in dart and moving side seams further forward and lowering V) slow progress but progress.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your new hoop looks a lot better. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress on this!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: