Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3d9af19e5b349a97794269b52f796d95Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Black invasion gown WIP
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also made this costume. Very Happy

While I currently do not have a tutorial, I did quite a lot of research on it before creating it. I would also like to contribute to this if possible.
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course and thank you so much Rachel I am honored!! Very Happy

I have two comments about the hoop. I originally owned the 9. HOWEVER. I troop a (2-6x a month or more) Which means my dress is getting a TON Of use. I found the following issues with 9.

#9 Drags on the floor in the back and is really wide on the sides, and while its a lot more "correct"...and its beautiful. you get STEPPED ON. A LOT. I can not stress this enough. While trying to navigate a con you literally have to have a steam train of Jedi to protect you from getting stepped on (you are 5 feet wide and 8 feet long lol) I call myself a Parade float. I hate having to take an entourage of Jedi with me (and not trip the storm troopers) hehe.

Iwent back and bought the 5 My dress now drags only in the back by a few 8-10 inches? I rarely get stepped on now.
PS- Also the hoop showed out the back to much and I ended up with the hoop showing all the time poking out under the dress.
I even tried a bustle for awhile. It made me look frumpy and have since stopped using it. It just looks "off" The correct hoop shirt is called a Carolina Hoop (Very VERY VERRY Expensive) They have a pattern for it (from Simplicity I think?) I dont even want to waste time making a hoop shirt (for a dress I made to not even fit that shape) so I never did it. You have the chance to do it from scratch. But its going to raise your cost by around 70$ after you get done either buying it or buying the pattern, then the materials then the time to make it :/

End of story. 5 works just dandy.

PS- I even have had to replace my hoop 2x now because the dragging wears on the hoop. Frankly id rather spend 20$ on a hoop than 100$ Wink

Hope this helps!!

LMO 501st Legion ALMO Rebel Legion

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you LaVonne and Dawn :-)
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaV317 wrote:

While I currently do not have a tutorial, I did quite a lot of research on it before creating it. I would also like to contribute to this if possible.

Please share your knowledge in this thread :-)
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=658698#658698
LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
LaV317 wrote:

Please share your knowledge in this thread :-)
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=658698#658698

Will do - thank you!

As I stated in my build thread, this is by far my favorite costume of the prequels. I wanted to build it from the moment I saw it in 1999.
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amidalas wrote:

I have two comments about the hoop. I originally owned the 9. HOWEVER. I troop a (2-6x a month or more) Which means my dress is getting a TON Of use. I found the following issues with 9.

#9 Drags on the floor in the back and is really wide on the sides, and while its a lot more "correct"...and its beautiful. you get STEPPED ON. A LOT. I can not stress this enough. While trying to navigate a con you literally have to have a steam train of Jedi to protect you from getting stepped on (you are 5 feet wide and 8 feet long lol) I call myself a Parade float. I hate having to take an entourage of Jedi with me (and not trip the storm troopers) hehe.

Iwent back and bought the 5 My dress now drags only in the back by a few 8-10 inches? I rarely get stepped on now.
PS- Also the hoop showed out the back to much and I ended up with the hoop showing all the time poking out under the dress.
I even tried a bustle for awhile. It made me look frumpy and have since stopped using it. It just looks "off" The correct hoop shirt is called a Carolina Hoop (Very VERY VERRY Expensive) They have a pattern for it (from Simplicity I think?) I dont even want to waste time making a hoop shirt (for a dress I made to not even fit that shape) so I never did it. You have the chance to do it from scratch. But its going to raise your cost by around 70$ after you get done either buying it or buying the pattern, then the materials then the time to make it :/

End of story. 5 works just dandy.

PS- I even have had to replace my hoop 2x now because the dragging wears on the hoop. Frankly id rather spend 20$ on a hoop than 100$ Wink

Hope this helps!!

Thank you so much, Dawn! Very Happy I appreciate your advice, it's a great help!
Bloody87 (Karen Ravn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aaand I'm back. I have started to collect the different materials needed for the dress.

I have found a satin fabric for the inner dress, but I'm having trouble deciding whether it's the right colour. I would hate to order the wrong colour.

http://www.stofkiosken.dk/81-3395-781_polyestersatin-36.html?q=satin

Any thoughts?
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comment on the colour, but my experience with that fabric is that it's awful to work with. I would go with the "brudesatin" they also stock, it's a bit more expensive but not too much.
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again! A mistake I feel that I made on mine is that its to shiny and the original is a lot more muted.^.^

Here are some photos of the original

I myself want to go back and change my original material. See how flat the original is?
Ive seen a couple of folks use material like you are looking at and the shine does really protrude through. (myself included btw)

Original

Yours

Last edited by Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright) on Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:01 pm; edited 3 times in total
Bloody87 (Karen Ravn)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow o_O That's some... shiny difference! It's hard to tell from the pictures and screen shots, so thank you again Amadalia
Kylo Ren (Dawn Bright)

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep!and look at the dress and you can see it flat now huh? Very Happy I would have saved myself a LOT of money looking into a NON-Shiny fabric... hahaha
You are so welcome!!

Ps- I also second that the material you posted IS annoying to no end to work with x,x!

LaV317 (LaVonne)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the original used a reddish-goldish "shot" fabric. (The fabric I used was found in the drapery section of Hancock Fabric store. I'm not sure if they still have it in their stores as our HF was closed several years ago.)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RebelSenator wrote:
Amidalas wrote:
I tried 3 different materials.
I started with something like this.

PLEASE go to my invasion gown guide. I just made mine in April.

Its got the most up to date prices * feel*. (because I literally just finished it)

Very Happy

http://queenamidalasabe.blogspot.com/

That is an awesome tutorial! Amazing! Do you mind if we post a thread with a link to it in our tutorial section located here http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=252

Dawn, your tutorial is very well organized - nicely done! I haven't had the time to write one yet, but I have kept all of my research notes in a file folder and sketch book. This is definitely a bear of a costume, but so rewarding when you actually see the final product. Amadalia

Karen: Keep up the great work! Can't wait to see the progress photos!
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could order a swatch, and see if the wrong side of the fabric has the right colour, but less shine. I've used wrong sides of satin sometimes when I wanted a duller shade.
Mara Skywalker (Anna)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We ordered a swatch for Karen yesterday, so, now we'll see how the colour looks Smile

Mynocks deliver Babies
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: