Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=0acd1b58efb68d683cb3dfa7e8aeed6bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

KotOR-Inspired Generic Jedi
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Star Wars Reads Day 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jenna....PM sent Wink
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Green I'll give that a thorough look-over and dig out all the references I have lying around early next week once my guest leaves.

This adds to the list of modifications to make, but I am excited about this possibility, as we have seen people pop in over the last couple of years inquiring about this style of robe.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, this is exciting! And I appreciate your efforts.

And this goes to show that the LCJs and the LMO listen to our members, and act 😉
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A thought: you could try tea-dyeing the orange tunic to tone down the colors a bit. I'd test it on a scrap first, if you can, but all you need is a big box of cheap tea and a large pot of boiling water. And don't wash the final product with detergent that has oxy cleaners, as that will remove the tea "stain". Smile
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Jabari, I may do that with my pants when they get here, to tone them down a bit. I'm just way too in love with my red-orange to want to dull it down unless I really have to.

So, with actual generic KotOR I standards in the works, I have started adjusting what I have to fit those standards. While none of that is finalized yet, I do know I need to reverse the wrap direction on my costume, and acquire a different shaped under-tunic. So, here's a Jedi-selfie with a bit of progress on that:

I'd love to get more of the knit fabrci I used for the original under-tunic when I get back to the US in the fall and have access to a machine that can handle knits again. For the time being, a simple scoop-neck shirt in the right color will fit the bill.

I spent the afternoon pulling off all of my old snaps, so I have a bit of work to put the new ones back on, but the fitting so far went well. Both the outer tunic and dickie need to be reversed. Then there's the skirt bit, which needs to be totally ripped apart for me to be able to reverse it, so that's next on the list after I fix my closures.

I won't be needing the obi or the under-tabbard any more either, though I think I may need some kind of clever system with the belt to make sure it doesn't slip away from the waistband and reveal that I'm wearing a 2-piece robe.

I know of a place in Osaka that sells leather by the strip, so I will need to be making a trip there in the near future to invest in some of that for wrist guards and epaulets.

I've got a new KotOR-style belt on order and the actual pants should come along with it.

This does mean I have a full belt and accessories as well as a blue under tunic I can't use for this costume any more. Clearly that means I need another generic Jedi. :p I've got a design sketched up and patterns drafted already (in creams and grays with a bit of blue, more normal colors, I promise), but starting that will have to wait until I get my next stipend payment in May.

I also realized I never did show photos of the boyfriend's tunic in action:

He will also need a different under tunic and will have to lose the obi and the under-tabbard. Fortunately, I did wrap his in the right direction, so no need to fix that part at least. He still needs boots, belt, wrist-guards, epaulets, and his own lightsaber though. Still trying to convince him he wants to get this finished up before the Kobe Matsuri Parade in May.

PernillaPalpatine (Lisa Klassen)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the proliferation of new games and EU time periods, I would love to see some new generic standards for the different eras. I like your costume. I'm jealous you're in Japan!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The detachment has been discussing making formal KotOR standards for the past couple months, so I'm really looking forward to getting those ironed out.

And living in Japan has its ups and downs as much as any place does, but a definite bonus is the monthly flee market of random things that happens outside my language school every 25th. This month's awesome find was a guy that makes leather bags and sells his extra scraps:

I picked up two dark brown scraps to match my belt and boots for the wrist guards and epaulets. I haven't figured out how exactly I'll be attaching my epaulets to the shoulders yet, but that's a project for after my research trip. I'm just relieved that finding nice leather was so serendipitously easy.

Edit: And bonus dry-run of everything with the closures reversed direction. The skirt was a pain, but it's all back together. I'm not in love with the way the snaps lay on the outer tunic, so I'll probably adjust those some more.

So, what's still missing are my actual orange pants, wrist guards, epaulets, and a game-accurate belt. Putting it on all together, I can see I will want a darker brown belt to match the rest of the leather that is slightly wider so as to cover the skirt waistband completely.

And I'll need a new Jedi costume to go with the awesome belt I already have. :p

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years later, I have progress!

I finally put together the pants and took in the sleeves to reflect the standards. The pants still need a zipper and some finishing, but I am pretty happy with how they fit.

I also decided to go with black leather after all. I found a source of soft black leather here in Japan for the wrist guards, but I think I'm going to have to order from Tandy online to get a wide enough belt blank for the KotOR jedi belt.

As you can see from the photo in the last post, the top fits me really differently two years later than it did previously. I may have gotten chestier or something, but the fit isn't that great any more. I will try to wear a sports bra or bind myself down next time I do a fitting to see if I can get it fit better.

Although I initially got the under-shirt to go with this costume, I am not happy with how it lays in relation to the dickie, so I think I'm going to make my own faux blue under-shirt.

I still need to take in my husband's (right, we got engaged and married since that last photo was taken Shocked) sleeves, but I need to run out for some more thread for that.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2016 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Better late, than never. Smile You're not the only one with epicly long wip threads. Wink

Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ That's the truth! Very Happy
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2016 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back at it again, I finished the pants!

I am really pleased with the fit. At least those, after two years, still fit like a glove.

I also played with the fit more of the top. I found that a sports bra did wonders in making it fit better, but the other issue was actually the blue under-shirt itself. When I narrowed the tunic sleeves, they were catching on the t-shirt sleeves, causing the sleeves to sag down my shoulders. Without the under-shirt, it fits a lot better.

I think the next step is making a triangular dickie for the inner tunic, that just snaps into the collar. I've also moved the snaps so that they aren't in places that pull so badly.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good that the sports bra is helpful to you. Smile

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to rush and finish this for a non-Legion parade with the Japan Jedi Order next weekend, and it's getting really close! The main labor of this week has been my belt and the epaulets. I also made a new blue false inner tunic that works much better than the earlier shirt.

All the remains is the closure on the belt and a little more tweaking with the metal parts.

My husband is away for quite a long time, so I don't think I'll be finishing his costume soon. I want to be able to try the various parts on him as I work.

Lora Skywalker ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! I hope you get it done. Smile

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's done! I'm really pleased with how the belt turned out, as terrified as I was of leather working when I started.

I may yet redo the wrist guards at some point. These are super snug at the moment.

I did a short write-up with lots of photos on how I put the belt together, in case anyone is curious. Part 1 & Part 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: