Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8f8bd6e2f5969b3a780ce2fce675fdc4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

KotOR-Inspired Generic Jedi
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:16 am    Post subject: KotOR-Inspired Generic Jedi Reply with quote

As I am moving to Japan in the fall, and it looks like Jedi get to do more things there than face characters, I figured it was about time for me to get myself a not obscure EU, generic Jedi. I still have this problem where I love the obscure and the unique, and the Jedi robes I like best are the KotOR-style wrap robes.

I love Juhani and her color scheme, but I do not want to put that head on on a regular basis, so I'm going generic rather than trying to emulate her costume exactly.

I would also rather blend some elements of movie generic Jedi with the KotOR Jedi. While I love the shape of the robes, I am not keen on the leather bracers or epaulets. Here's my sketch of what I am aiming for.

Now, I realize that in stepping away from doing a face character, I subject myself to the generic standards. I plan to use food capsules, a comlink, and belt pouches as my three formality items. I am still a bit stuck on how to incorporate tabbards in a way that I like, but more brainstorming on that later.

I finally finished my mockup (the real thing will be in similar colors to Juhani with a brown belt to match the boots instead of black) of the outer robe and the dickey with mandarin collar. The inner shirt will be knit, and here is just represented by one of my kimono scarves I had lying around. I will be making a matching pair of pants as well, but just making-do for a fitting.

It will be a two-piece top and skirt that will be made to look like they are one, the overlap hidden by a matching obi and the belt.

I'm excited to get this thing rolling!

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden, Sache

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site | She/Her
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 18 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a nice project jenna!!!! And a great start rock

Former: LCO | LCJ | KJO DXO | WH DXO | PRBase CO | UCGR DXO

Last edited by RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez) on Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting design. The colors and style remind me of Katara from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Razz

But yeah, tabards... Hmm, what that design that will be a challenge. If you wouldn't have made the edges out of that lighter blue you could have made the tabards out of it and kind of wrapped them somewhat similarly to how you have the tunic. But I can't think of anything else.
You could always have one long tabard going from the bottom of the obi, the end of a Y-shaped tabard. But the two front, back and shoulder parts of the tabard... Hmm...

Is there a set standard for how wide the tabards must be? Maybe you could make two thin tabards, almost with a harness look, in a way, which might flow better with the outfit than the standard wide tabards.

Or maybe have thinner tabards hanging a little loosely from the shoulders, and then tuck under your obi, sort of forming a loose rounded shape from the shoulders to the obi. Hard to explain. I have it pictured in my mind, but I can't seem to explain it right.
But that may not look like a tabard, either...

By the way, I'm jealous that you get to go to Japan. I've always wanted to go there...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Interesting design. The colors and style remind me of Katara from Avatar: The Last Airbender. Razz

Haha. When I put it on and looked in the mirror for the first time, that's exactly what I thought. All of my mockup cotton just so happens to be blue. The final version will be a lot closer to the Juhani color scheme, in rust-orange and so on. And yes, the bottom skirt piece will have contrasting edging on it, so you can see the shape of the overlapping wrap better.

I like the idea you have there on the Y-tabbards or curved tabbards. I think I will play with both ideas. The other idea I've been sitting on is is that the only thing resembling tabbards on Jedi in KotOR is a sort of under-tabbard:

Don't ask me why they also put that particular Jedi robe on Bastila's mom, but this is the best screenshot of it I could find.

Maybe I could pull something more like Ki-al-mundi with tabbards under the outer robe.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, maybe. I'm sure there's some way to figure out the tabards. May not be formal acceptance and informal instead, but who cares? Razz

And I don't assume your Jedi is going to waterbend? Laughing

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one could move water around with the Force... Mr. Green

I am shooting for full formal approval as this is the only costume I'll have with me over in Japan, so I'd hate to be shut out of high-profile events... though I'm not entirely sure they have high-profile events. Hm.

Antar Bolt ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Dragon Con Planning Team Volunteer (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a look at the revised Generic Jedi Standards, you will see that a single tabard hanging down from the belt in now an allowed option. That would get you close to the look seen in the most recent game screen shot you posted. That might be a better option than trying to re design the normal tabard designs. Other than that I really like the look of your costume.

Bespin Base Temple Master
KA-513 ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be watching this build with great interest, since this particular costume is on my list of things to do.

Out of curiosity, how are you doing the reverse overlap with the skirting of the tunic?

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will also be watching this thread, as I am building this too and hope to make it formal someday!

If it helps, here's how I'm planning to do the wrap:
So, one side of the front is solid (red) and one side is split (white). That way the top and bottom can wrap in different directions. The split will be hidden by the belt. In the back, the "tails" will be two overlapping pieces, sewn together at the waist where the seam will be hidden by the belt.

I'd love to see if the "under-tabard" will count for formal, I didn't think about that since I'm doing the red robes, and they're only seen on the cream ones. If not, I'd suggest doing a thin scarf-style tabard. Here is my WIP thread, I have lots of reference pictures including a good one of the "under-tabard" : http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=48289 Good luck!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jubari! I'll be watching your thread carefully as well. Smile As you see, I'm sort of blending styles myself, using the Kotor robes as an example.

My thought for the reverse wrap is that I'm going to actually do it as a shirt and a skirt, two separate pieces. I've got pretty substantial hips, so that also allows for me to neatly deal with gathering and bring it in at the waist. We'll see how that turns out.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, progress! This weekend I made an orange mess of my bathroom and dyed some fabrics:

I am SUPER pleased with how the tunic fabric came out. That is exactly the Juhani color I was going for. The more textured collar/trim fabric did not hold the dye as well and still needs to be darker and pinker, so I ordered some more brown and fuchsia dye. You can see my dickie pink fabric and swatches of the blue undershirt fabric and orange twill for the pants, both of which are on order in full right now.

However happy I am with my dye job I have this feeling that my color scheme (obscurely canon as it is) is a bit too bright for a Jedi. Any LCJ thoughts on this? I could also use the brown dye I just ordered to dull that awesome red-orange down a bit.

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the colors by Angel and he said I was good to go, so progress:

The belt and pants are a stand-in until I get my real ones here. I've got some great orange twill pants half-done and I am commissioning a belt and pouches from the lovely and talented DWH. Food capsules are on the way too.

In that lighting, contrasted with those pants, the tunic looks frighteningly bright. Shocked I swear it's not that bad in daylight.

I don't have an ironing board yet, but this whole thing needs a good ironing. There's quite a bit of hand sewing and closures to put in yet, but I mainly put this on for photos because I don't have a big mirror in my new places and I am still trying to decide if I should put bias tape on the sleeves. Thoughts?

I'm actually pretty happy with the under-tabbard, if that will pass through the standards.

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is looking bright the photos Surprised perhaps is the flash?

We recently approved a kotor jedi sentinel... u have a reference photo for your color scheme. Are you making the shoulder pads?

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thought I had was that I wanted to blend the KOtoR designs with our generic standards, thus skipping the shoulder pads and gauntlets, and adding the tabbard and other generic requirements.

If it turns out looking too bright in the end, I did find a source of dye over here so I could dull it down some more, but I'd really rather not do that. If it comes to that, could this color scheme be accepted as informal, or if it's too bright, it will be too bright even for that?

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before making any changes I would suggest a photo in better lighting and we can start moving from there....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> EU Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: