Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5cafd266915cf5fa44b88caa3bd00451Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Y-Wing attempt

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: New Y-Wing attempt Reply with quote

Greetings all!

I decided to put together a build thread this morning as it is pouring down rain and inhibiting me from doing much else.

The Helmet:

Seemed like a reasonable place to start. Looking thru the threads and doing some research, it seemed that alot of people used Richies helmet and had to modify it heavily as it is not quite correct. The other option seems to be pepakura. Having found the pepakura file some time ago, I decided to try that as it would allow me to size the bucket to fit my big coconut head. Most people go the normal pepakura route of paper, resin, bondo etc, I opted to work with something I am more familiar with... foam. Now I know foam is NOT acceptable for costume parts... but wait and see....

To start, I opened Pepakura Designer and resized the helmet to what I thought was good proportions and reworked the pattern pieces to fit on tabloid size paper. I removed all of the tabs and the small trim pieces that I would not need. I only wanted the main pieces that I would cut from the foam.

Once I had my pattern printed, I could start cutting out the parts that I needed. Using EVA foam floor mats, I layed out my parts and started cutting them on my bandsaw. Some people use exacto knives for this... but I like the cut I get with my fine tooth blade. After getting all of the parts cut, it was time to break out the hot glue and assemble.

After assembling the front face ring and ear covers, I realized I was a touch too large. Only 4 pieces cut out so no worries... rescaled and started it again... second time was the charm!

This version fit much better and I also changed a few things in the pattern cutout to keep from having lines down the center of the chin. It makes the front face look a little cleaner. The image above is of the entire helmet excluding the top and back curved panel.

For those panels, I did not want a bunch of splice lines and such that I would get from the pepakura file, so I instead used a heat gun to bend and form the panels to get the correct shape that wanted in one solid piece.

Here is the finished foam helmet with the top and back panel now in place.
Some of my glue lines will need to be cleaned up before the next step and you'll also notice that I took the heat gun, hated up the foam around the "ear hole" and then used a spoon to give the edge a fillet or more softened edge.

And with that... The foam portion of the build for now is complete.

Cujo
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Helmet Stage II

Now I know that a helmet just of foam is not allowed. The helmet itself is pretty flexible and needs something to make it more rigid. So again, more research and talk with friends at the 405th and online. I got several good suggestions... and here is what I went with...

Step 1

I took my helmet and began covering it with PVA glue (regular white school glue). This glue adheres wonderfully to the EVA foam padding and creates a nice "primer" for the next step. I put on 3 complete coats of PVA glue allowing it to completely dry between coats. I extended the PVA glue to all edges and about 1" around the edge on the inside of the helmet (hope that makes sense). When the glue is completely dry, it will go back to a clear look and will make the helmet semi-glossy.

***Sorry I did not take a pic of this before beginning the next stage***

Stage 2

I read that several people have had luck with getting Smooth-on to stick to foam after coating it with the PVA. This sounded like a great trick... but being on a tight budget, I didn't want to have to order and wait for Smooth-on. So I went back to a product I used some time ago in my Halo build called Styrospray 1000. This is a 2 part epoxy/resin that is used in the industry to cover styrofoam sculptures and make them hard enough to put outdoors. Things like statues, 3D signage, etc. If put on in thin coats and allowed to set properly, this will create a VERY hard shell. Exactly what I want for my helmet. The finish is sandable and takes all manner of paints easily including automotive paints.

So off to the the first coat... brushed on as think as possible. I didn't worry about brush strokes because this stuff "flattens" out and really takes care of that. The only thing I would caution is watch how much you put on... it can run and pool in pockets. The great thing about this stuff is that it has a HUGE "work life" needing about 3 hours to set... much better than the few minutes youget before most resins "kick." I found myself applying a coat in the morning... letting it dry thru the day... and doing another coat in the evening. When applying with a brush, the fumes are almost unnoticeable and no respirator is needed... just a good ventilated work space.

1 Coat:

2 Coats

With coat #2, you can already feel the foam stiffening and the helmet starting to get that hard shell kinda feel. Sanding lightly at this point in between coats with 220 grit sandpaper just to get out high spots and keep things even.

3 Coats

At this point, the coatings are maybe a 1/16" in thickness and I am able to do a little more sanding to get rid of some ridges etc from the folds in the pep file that I don't want. At this point, I think 6 coats is going to my target and give me a nice overall hardness to the helmet.

I will keep you posted!

Cujo
[/url]
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see nothing wrong with using foam, so long as you can paint it and what-not so it doesn't scream "I'm made of foam!" when you're finished.

I think you've got a good start on this, but I do see one thing... The shape isn't quite right. Your helmet looks more like an astronaut helmet than a Y-wing pilot helmet. The chin part of it just doesn't seem like it's long enough... Or something... I'm having a hard time explaining it for some reason... >>;;

Though it could be the angle the pictures were taken, because your first couple pictures look just fine.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,

Thanks for the input. I see what you mean in the pics... It does look more rounded "space helmety" than long Y-wing like... I think part of the issue is that the sides widened as I was putting on the resin (i.e. ears area moved out). After taking the heat gun and reworking the form some, it looks alot better I think and more ovalish...

Excuse the crappy cell-phone pics... but here is the helmet on me...
Left - plain and right - with leather chin protector (taped in place)

It looks to be about right... though having a visor would really make it easier to tell....

Cujo[/img]
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, I think that's looking pretty good, actually. Nice job. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you sir!

I have 2 more coats of resin to do on the main helmet and then I need to seal the edges and do those as well... after that, I can give her a shot of primer and see where she needs a good sanding and go from there...

I am also working on designing the greeblies in Solidworks so that I can 3D print those at the correct scale. I have seen detailed pics of the earhole greeblies... the one in the long slot I am not so sure of....

I'll post up what I come up with....

Cujo
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided tonight to work in Solidworks and work up the ear greeblie to see if I could possibly print it on our 3D printer... I know it is a found piece of curcuit board and some Yamaha model parts... but here is my mock up of the part. will post pics tomorrow if I get the chance to print it....

Whatya think? am I close?

cujo
DroidWelder ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not bad Matt!
I have to wonder if the "Yamaha" on the cycle model part should be modified in some way so that it's not easily recognisable as an Earth name.

Maybe just break up each letter so it is incomplete. (in other words: Erase a little part of the Y so it doesn't look like a Y, and so on...)
Or simply do the Yamaha in aurobesh or something.

What is the opinion(s) of the LCJ's on doing something like that?

David L.
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its honestly not something we'd dock for, so you can go either way with it.

What does the top of the helmet look like when you're wearing it? It looks very "flat" in most of your pictures for a lack of a better term.
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DroidWelder wrote:
Not bad Matt!
I have to wonder if the "Yamaha" on the cycle model part should be modified in some way so that it's not easily recognisable as an Earth name.

Maybe just break up each letter so it is incomplete. (in other words: Erase a little part of the Y so it doesn't look like a Y, and so on...)
Or simply do the Yamaha in aurobesh or something.

What is the opinion(s) of the LCJ's on doing something like that?

David L.

Thanks for the shout back David,

I get what your saying to make it less recognizeable... I was just using the reference images that I have seen of screen used buckets.... i.e. below:

So therefore I was trying to go as precise as possible... however the devil is in the details and I am not sure how this will print on my 3D printer... so we shall see... it is a smaller greeblie.

@ James... the top of the helmet looks flat, but does have a gentle curve to it... not as much as my reference... but it is not totally flat either...

Hope that makes sense... again.. any feedback before I continue would be greatly appreciated!

Cujo
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great project! One thing I notice in the comparison pic above is that the back panel is more rounded on the screen version. Yours seems to come pretty straight down.

cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Great project! One thing I notice in the comparison pic above is that the back panel is more rounded on the screen version. Yours seems to come pretty straight down.

Yeah.... I noticed that too... I tried REALLY hard to get that curve to work and just could not get the foam to work with me... May try to hit it with the heatgun again and see if I can get a little more bend in it...

On another note... I did make a little progress tonight...

whatya think??

Still have to do some weathering washes to wash out some of the color and make it look a little more worn and dirty... but like it so far.

Cujo
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good to me. Nice job. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Okami Dai ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Matt,
you´re making really nice things!

I´ve never seen this "foam mats way" before, impressive, very impressive!
Good luck for your further work!
Jedi Knight
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

I appreciate it!

Do any of you know what model plantronic mic is used on the y-wing helmet????

Matt
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: