Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1ec5763dce0c99f237706cf8a3a11a85Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Leia's Bikini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenJedisLady ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Leia's Bikini Reply with quote

I need in put from those who've made the costume. Note I said made Not bought. I know where I can buy it where's it screen accurate and I can customize it however I want. I want to know how to make it.

Starting with the "metal bits". What's the best materials to go about making this part? Can I use all polymer clay? Can metal actually be used? How can I go about getting the little details in the bottom plate?

Mandalorian Mercs - #0758 - Risika Skirata
Rebel Legion -
Dark Empire - FallenJedisLady -
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few thoughts

1.. Have a good freind / spouce make a mold of your upper torso..
2.. then make a cast from that mold .
3.. using clay design out the bikini on to the body bust
3.. create a mold of the bikini from that

5.. then use either a resin to make the bikini.. i was also thinking dragonskin (a very strong and durable rubber could also be used) the resin you will ahve some shaping witha hair dryer ... the dragon skin would allow for perfect flex ....

I attempted once usng a metal frame witha polymer clay on top ... te major problem with that is the weight .. it is too heavy .

Yes metal can be used but you are looking at pretty much no movement and you will need acess to some metal cuttingand shaping equipemnt

good lucko n the design
FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who works with metal on an everyday basis. So access and tools wouldn't be a problem. He even said he could make it lightweight and comfortable.

With the resin, is it just a regular average day hair dryer or would a heat gun work better?

Rebel Legion -
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have used our hair dryer to shape my wifes one ...
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neimhaille did a fantastic job making this costume and I don't think she'd mind me sharing her page. You can check it our here:
http://costumes.glittersweet.com/sci-fifantasy/slave-leia-metal-bikini/

PS: Your screenname gives me giggles...my hubby's screen name is "FallenJedi". LOL
FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha! I promise it's a play off my own fiance's thing. xD I think it's part of his screenname too.

and wow! That's an amazing cosplay! Resin's out of current price range and skill level. COuld I just stick with Polymer clay somehow?

Rebel Legion -
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Neimhaille did such an amazing job with it. I think its gorgeous work.
I don't know about the polymer clay. I made this costume several years ago. I used sintra for the front and back plates. I used puff paint to create the design and then painted over it. For the top, I used sculptey over a wire frame. The plates held up well but the top did not. It cracked the first time I wore it so I re-made it. It cracked again. Remade it again. Cracked again. I bought the costume from Jamin. LOL

But I guess if I were going to do this costume build again and wanted to do something cheap that wouldn't take months and would not require extensive skills but still look good, I would try wobla or wonderflex.
They are both really super easy to work with. My friend brought some wobla over this weekend and it's tough like sintra but can be cut with scissors and heats well for molding. I was pretty impressed with it. I can think of a million things I could make with it. She said it was around $30 for a medium size roll.

Cool forum name Cool ....I like Smile Brillant mind think alike!! LOL
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and I think the boot tops will actually be the most challenging part of this costume. THey need to some flex to them.

Personal opinion........The front and back plates are easy to make as well as the arm band and wrist cuff. So make those yourself but consider buying the top. You can buy it unpainted and then make everything match. It should run about $150 for the top. Don't know if that is withing your range on pricing but would probably save some headaches. Razz
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FallenJedisLady wrote:
Resin's out of current price range and skill level. COuld I just stick with Polymer clay somehow?

Only if you stabilize it by actually working really thick wire into it. Even then it's prone to break.

Besides, the amount of polymer clay and thick wire that you will need is probably more expensive than epoxy resin and woven fiberglass - for which there are many tutorials on the interwebs.
Believe it or not, a year ago I had never touched epoxy resin before (only polyester resin, for car repairs). If you now look through what I made... yep, my headdresses have epoxy resin involved. In other words, you get practice pretty quickly Wink
FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. Sintra's an option. A little easier on budget anyway. I've some polymer clay but it's not enough to make an entire costume out of.

Rebel Legion -
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: