Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=aae0eb79c09f18230ff68c21b1d72223Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Ben Kenobi Belt pictures Part 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:26 pm    Post subject: ANH Ben Kenobi Belt pictures Part 3 Reply with quote

This thread is intended to address the issue of whether or not the front right greeblie is metal or leather. There is a topic on the RPF that shows a Ben Kenobi belt with a metal greeblie in the front. I can show you the scenes where that idea came from and will go into a little more depth here to let you decide if it is leather or metal.

First and foremost I took another look at the Magic of Myth (MoM) pictures we are all familiar with. I took three of those pictures and adjusted the exposure and brightness to bring out more detail.

The first picture is one of those pics unadjusted. The next pictures are cropped and adjusted. You can see the edge to the greeblie. In my opinion these show pretty clearly a thick piece of leather that has a varying thickness to the edge just as leather would do as it ages, flexes and absorbs moisture. A metal piece would have a consistent thickness to the entire piece. The leather also seems to be warping in the area of the stud creating what appears to be a reflective ridge that starts at the front stud and extends to the upper left along the upper right 45 degree edge of the greeblies as you look at the picture (which also follows with the leather warping with age). Finally of significant note - the greeblie is much darker than the belt and appears to be more reflective compared to the surface of the belt. Keep these points in mind as you look at the pictures that follow.

[img]

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

Following are pictures from three scenes that contributed to the idea that this greeblie could be metal.

The first series are from the scene where Ben and Luke are in Ben's hut. Ben has just given Anakin's lightsaber to Luke and is in the process of sitting down while Luke casually waves this awesome weapon around (that can cut through metal like it is soft butter) as if it were simply a broom handle. And Ben's not even concerned he could possible destroy everything in the immediate area. including him (but I digress).

The following pictures are step motion pics grabbed from this scene to show the progression of the reflection on the greeblie.

First note the position of Ben's arm next to the greeblie (no reflection), and the position of Ben's belt.

[/img]

Now - Ben's belt position has changed because he is in the process of turning to his right as he gets ready to sit. The greeblie is picking up a reflection (Ben's arm? or something).

[img]

In this pic - Ben has actually stopped turning to his right (belt is in the same position), and his arm is still in the same relative position compared to the greeblie (pretty much the same reflection).

[/img]

Now his belt is in the same position but the arm has moved backwards relative to the greeblie yet there is the same reflection on the greeblie. So the reflection is apparently not Ben's arm but something bright off camera.

[img]

The next pic is the same as the last one but Ben's arm has dropped more away from the greeblie with no change to the reflection. My point here is - if the greeblie was metal I believe it would pick up the reflection of the arm but it is not. The reflection is something off camera that is bright enough to show against the leather. Also note that the reflection is following the line of the ridge I pointed out in the MoM pictures (a ridge that I believe is more likely on leather than on metal - but not impossible).

[/img]

In this last pic Ben has straightened up his body just before sitting down and rotated more to his right. This movement has the result of eliminating the reflection completely. I believe if the greeblie was metal we would still see a difference in the reflectivity of the greeblie compared to the belt.

[img]

I did not want to use a picture from the RPF without the permission of the owner but if you go the RPF and do a search for "Kenobi Belt" you should find a listing for the belt with a metal greeblie. Please note the stark difference in the reflectivity of the ENTIRE greeblie and the belt. I have not seen that difference in any of the scenes I grabbed except where it is apparent there is a bright light source nearby that only seems to reflect off the ridge on the greeblie, not necessarily the entire greeblie.

These next four pictures are from the scene where Ben senses the destruction of Alderaan and is in the process of sitting down.

Note the reflection on the greeblie making it appear metallic.

[/img]

In this next step picture Ben's arm has dropped away from the greeblie. Notice the reflection BEHIND the first connection of the pouch that also looks like it is metallic. We know that area is not metal yet it has the same appearance as the greeblie.

[img]

This still shows a metallic reflection behind the front pouch connection.

[/img]

Lastly Ben's arm has moved forward again relative to the pouch and blocked the light that caused the metallic reflection behind the front pouch connection. Notice again the reflection seems to follow mainly the ridge on the greeblie rather than the entire greeblie. I believe if the greeblie was metal we would see the light reflecting over more of the area of the greeblie.

[img]

This final series is from the scene in the death star where Ben has deactivated the tractor beam and is hurrying down the walkway away from the stormtroopers standing nearby.

Again - I believe this is an illusion of metallic reflections due to the bright light sources to Ben's right combined with the reflective surface of the greeblie being more so than the belt. as indicated earlier. If this greeblie was metal the entire greeblie would be reflecting all these light sources and the entire greeblie would be lighter that the belt as its background.

[/img]

[img]

[/img]

[img]

A couple more observations before I wrap this up.

The next two pics are of Ben at ready to do battle with Darth Vader.

In this first pic I think we should be able to see the greeblie if it were metal because of the bright diffused light in this area of the Death Star. But I will concede that the shadow of Ben's sleeve might be blocking some of the light. Before we go to the next pic - notice how close the greeblie is to his belt buckle.

[/img]

In this next picture the shadow of Ben's sleeve is moved away from at least part of the greeblie and we still do not see any reflection on the greeblie. Again I believe if it were metal we would see SOME reflections here. Again I refer to the RPF picture.

[img]

And finally, in this last picture - we are back in Ben's hut where he is getting Anakin's lightsabe for Luke. Notice the metallic reflection off Ben's pouch by his side. I did not adjust this picture for exposure or brightness - this is how it is in the movie. Just an example of how leather can appear metallic.

[/img]

Just like the referees in football reviewing a replay, I don't see enough compelling evidence to overturn what has been accepted to this point as the material make-up of this greeblie. To the contrary - I have shown several pics that indicate more that it is leather (be it a little more reflective leather than the belt). One final thought - I don't think a metal greeblie on this belt is consistent with the overall look. It just seems too out of place You need to make your own determination, but if I want an ANH Ben Kenobi belt I will not be ordering it with a metal greeblie on the front. I suppose the final say would come from the costume judges on whether or not this issue is important enough to make it a determining factor for approval for the Ben Kenobi costume.

I apologize for the length of the post but I thought it was important to show the context of where the pictures fit into the overall scene.

Paul ōæō
lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

at least I got something right on this belt Razz

I have to agree, that looks leather. Also, on the pictures right before the Lightsaber duel, that buckle looks very silver and, you are right, that greeblie is real close to the buckle. 2 different belts or just a trick of light?

This is good stuff!

Dave
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may very well be two belts. The distance between the buckle and the greeblie in the Vader duel pic is quite different from that of all the other pics shown. That might also explain why in some pics the buckle has a brassy tone to it and in others (like the duel scene) where it looks silver. I think I need to look closely at the weathering patterns on the belt and buckle in the various scenes and see if there are any obvious differences.

Paul
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: