Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2b79d59ca7e699b5bf2263f8463cc6b4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

KOTOR Jedi Standards? (and WIP)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: KOTOR Jedi Standards? (and WIP) Reply with quote

Partly as a research exercise for my own costume, and partly because I've seen some interest in KOTOR-era Jedi costuming in my forum lurking, I have come up with some possible KOTOR 1 Generic Jedi standards. The KOTOR 1 Jedi are very recognizable, but do not fit the Rebel Legion Generic Jedi standards - mainly, they have no tabards or obi, and adding these items ruin the KOTOR 1 look. Keeping in mind that I am not a costume judge (or even a RL member), I have tried to write these standards to the same level as other RL costume standards. I would certainly love to hear people's feedback, as well as thoughts on whether or not this costume could be approvable as formal in the future. Thanks!

Generic Jedi Robes (Knights Of The Old Republic 1 game) (updated 7/11/13)

Required:

1. Color of all costume parts must follow one of the five set color schemes. No mixing and matching.
2. Outer Tunic with accurate and distinctive KOTOR 1 wrap style and long sleeves. Tunic should be fairly fitted, not baggy. Must be one of the following colors: earthy red, medium blue, brown, cream, or dark gray.
3. Epaulets with correct color; correct texture preferred but not required.
4. Close fitting shirt with long sleeves and rounded neckline. (Optional Inner Collar may be attached.)
5. Belt - KOTOR style preferred, Prequel-era Jedi belts acceptable
6. Pants should not be baggy or have visible pockets, and tuck into tops of boots.
7. Mid-calf to knee height boots OR game-accurate boot tops, leather or leather-like, no suede.
8. Non-toy Lightsaber. No red or black blades.

Formal Requirements:
You must have at least two of the following items to be accepted:

1. Inner Tunic Collar - wrap style, mandarin, or mock-turtleneck collar. This may be a full tunic, dickie or may be attached to the undershirt, but it is not the same color (or fabric, usually) as the undershirt.
2. Close-fitting gloves in the correct color, long enough so that there is no gap between gloves and sleeves.
3. Accurate boot tops to match the game renders. Shoes/boots worn under the boot tops must be high enough so that there is no gap at the ankle.
4. Accurate KOTOR belt - Style 1 (brown, blue and red robes) : a cross-shaped silver buckle with two small flat pouches on either side, long silver greeblies at the sides, two vertical areas with two silver snaps, and the center back has three vertical ribs on either side of an area at the center with five horizontal ribs. There may be a partial thinner belt on top of the main belt. The red robe outfit has two extra pouches over the long silver greeblies. Style 2 (cream robes) : a plain brown belt (at least 1.5" wide) with an oval ring silver buckle. Style 3 (dark robes) : a shaped black belt with a narrow vertical dark metal clasp. Belt widens to at least 2" in the back and has some detailing, though no accessories.
5. Bracers/ Gauntlets in a style from the game.

Optional Items:

1. Covertec or D-ring clip or other method of attaching lightsaber(s) to belt.
2. Headgear accurate to the game (items usable by Light Side Jedi only) - Verpine Headband, Circlet of Sareesh, etc.
3. In-game lightsaber colors are Consular Green, Guardian Blue, Sentinel Yellow, purple, Heart of the Guardian (orange) and Mantle of the Force (cyan). Red is not allowed by Rebel Legion. Single, double, or dual-wielding is allowed.
4. Other KOTOR-era weapons - the game does not allow mixing of blades and blasters though.

Costume Color Schemes:

Blue Robes:
- Tunic - muted medium blue (see the picture with the cream robes for most accurate color) with gray detailing on arms. The collar does not have a noticeable trim, though there may or may not be dark blue piping.
- Epaulets - navy top half, dark bluish gray bottom half
- Shirt - dark gray
- Inner Tunic Collar - black or very dark gray
- Belt - black
- Pants - dark gray
- Boots - black or blue-topped

Brown Robes:
- Tunic - medium brown with golden tan/brown collar detail, (optional dark brown piping on lower hem).
- Epaulets - brown with a diamond starting at neck and a chevron below
- Shirt - dark brown
- Inner Tunic Collar - bright white, cream, brown or pale sky blue
- Belt - brown
- Pants - sandy tan
- Boots - dark brown

Red Robes:
- Tunic - earthy red with wine-colored piping on hems and wine-colored basket-weave collar detail.
- Epaulets - brown or brownish gray with a double chevron
- Shirt - dark gray
- Inner Tunic Collar - pale lavender-pinkish or cream
- Belt - dark brown or dark gray
- Pants - burnt orange
- Boots - dark brown

Dark Robes (NOTE: labeled as Dark Jedi Robes in game, but not restricted to dark side.):
- Tunic - dark charcoal gray or greenish tint slate gray with maroon tint shoulder detail. The collar does not have a noticeable trim. Black piping.
- Epaulets - black with ribbed section
- Shirt - black
- Inner Tunic Collar - light-medium gray
- Belt - black
- Pants - brown tint black
- Boots - black

Cream Robes (seen on background Jedi and in cutscenes):
- Tunic - cream or sandy off white colored robe, wide self trim on collar, cut slightly differently than other robes to fall more open at the rear with pointed tails
- Epaulets - medium brown with a double rectangle
- Shirt - golden yellow, ending in a single tabard-like squared point in front and back. A seam and/or piping runs from collar down through the center of the tabards
- Inner Tunic Collar - does not have a separate collar
- Belt - brown
- Pants - off-white, pale gray or pale lavender/ pinkish tone gray
- Boots - dark brown

Star Forge Robes:

Required:

1. Robe - a long sleeved, ankle length robe made of an off-white "rustic" or textured natural fabric. Skirt should be full enough to allow for movement, but not overly pleated or gathered. Robe should have a high, closed collar. Sleeves should be relatively fitted, but not tight, and are worn pushed up slightly at the elbow due to the gauntlets. Robe has no fasteners visible outside of armor.
2. Hood / Cowl - Ideally made of horizontally textured fabric in a very slightly darker shade of pale beige than the robe, but may be made of the same fabric. Cowl has volume and reaches several inches past the point of shoulder. It blouses around the armor straps, hiding them. The hood is small and has a pointed shape. It is worn down, where it reaches to the point of the shoulder blades.
3. Armor - stiff brown leather or leather like material with accurate detailing. The front of the chest piece has a reddish tint, and some pieces are darker brown. The rest is a sandy brown color. The shoulder straps have round silver buckles in front. Armor must include both a front and back piece, and reaches to the top of the hips.
4. Belt - worn high, the belt may be used to close the armor and may or may not be attached. It has two pieces. The front is the same reddish color as the top chest piece, and has a round shape. It buckles into the back piece with two silver buckles on each side.
5. Gauntlets - brown leather with seams on the inside of the forearms. Closure method should be invisible - no laces. Medium brown.
6. Hand Armor - same color as the gauntlets. May attach to gloves.
7. Gloves - very dark brown gloves in a solid material. Must be long enough to tuck under gauntlets so that there is no skin visible at the wrist.
8. Boots - Brown leather or leather like boots with no laces or straps visible.
9. Lightsaber - any style of quality saber allowed, no toy sabers or red or black blades.
10. Pants - although they are not visible, off-white pants or leggings are suggested, worn tucked into boots.
11. No makeup, contacts, etc that would suggest the character is a Sith or aligned with the dark side.

Last edited by Jabari () on Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:20 pm; edited 6 times in total
jedimastermolina (Alan)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice i like the brown ones and the dark jedi

KJO DXO / LCJ Legion Costume Judge /
radtrinidad (Leia Askin)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You put a lot of work into this. Looks really good.
Volund Starfire (Jason Ellenburg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely think this should be elevated to the KJO forums for admission into the Generic costume standards specific to the KOTOR1 Jedi! This is amazing!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'll eventually have some better pictures of the back of the Star Forge Robes, and some more detail shots, when I get some free time. Smile
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated to add some better pictures and fix the standards for the cream robes - I forgot some of the details, and the previous pictures didn't show them well.

(Also note that the Star Forge Robes pictures show an orange saber, not a red one.)

Other comments:

- The Player Character in these pictures (short dark haired woman) is wearing the Verpine Headband in all pictures if anyone was interested. The headgear is the only customizable part of this outfit, which is why I listed it under Optional Items. (I don't remember what Jolee is wearing!)

- These robes are not customizable in any way other than you can change outfits. The outfits themselves cannot be changed (except to add head gear).

- Star Forge Robes are wearable only by Light Side Jedi, which means the Player Character and Juhani can wear them. (Bastila is dark side at this point in the game, and Jolee is a Gray Jedi.)

- Your lovely models are, in order of first appearance: The Jedi Council (NPC's), Jolee Bindo (party member), female player character, a random Jedi wandering around Dantooine (NPC), Bastila Shan (party member), Jedi on the Endar Spire (NPC), Jedi Council Member (NPC), Random Jedi (NPC). Very Happy
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...Generic Jedi costumes that are specific to KOTOR Jedi costumes would be...KOTOR Jedi costumes.

What we need is an EU Jedi category where there is a KOTOR specific "generic" Jedi costume standard. There would, of course, be categories for other EU Jedi costumes.

Will this ever happen? Yeah, probably.

For the time being, there's no reason someone could not create KOTOR Jedi costumes and be approved, formally or otherwise. Just make sure the Charter is satisfied. Rather simple, really Wink
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's my hope. Smile
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jabari wrote:
That's my hope. Smile

Very Happy Go for it!!!

Be sure to (either use this thread or) create a WIP with the ref pics you're going to use for your costume so we can see your progress Wink
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly will Smile

I'll be making the red robes - I've just started gathering items. This is the fabric I have so far: off-white crinkle cotton for the inner tunic collar, red linen for the outer tunic, and orange fabric (left side) for the pants. The piping and collar trim (a basket-weave wool, waiting for it to go on sale) will be custom dyed a wine color.

I also plan to make all items on the Formal list except boot tops (I have boots), plus the Optional gauntlets, Verpine Headband, and a Covertec. Ideally, I will also have a Shock LE Ultrasaber, though my current lightsaber meets standards.

Here are some more detail shots:

(note: color is off in the last 2 photos)
Jabari ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plan for the "KOTOR wrap":

One side of the front is split so the robe can wrap one direction on the top, and the other direction on the bottom. Split will be hidden by the belt.

The back has two tails which overlap and sew together at the waist, where the seam will be hidden by the belt.

Despite how I drew it above, the waist seam will go all the way around. So the bottom half will be two pieces that wrap from the side around:

Looking at the robe from the back, this would be the left-side tail, which is the piece that wraps on top.
1. front of robe, right hip.
2. center of left hip
3. center back of robe
4. back of robe, right hip.
The top edge is sewn to the torso of the robe at the waist from #2 to #4 on the left side piece (shown, pink/white in the top picture).

The right side piece (not shown, red in the top picture) is reversed, and sewn all the way around the waist (from #1 to #4). It goes underneath the left piece.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great with your designs and fabric so far! I have a bunch of swatches in that same color scheme that I need to follow-up on and order too.

I shall be watching your thread with great interest. Mr. Green

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Queen Apailana, Nomi Sunrider, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo

Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS FaceBook | RLGS Web Site
Starforge (Jacob Degan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 4:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, man!! Artoo alerted me to this thread, and informed me that non-customizable videogame costumes with 360-degree views no longer require additional sources. I've been running around in KotOR Jedi robes for nearly four years now, and it would be awesome to get those submitted as a formal costume and finally become an official member of the Rebel Legion! I thought I was going to have to properly finish my Zayne Carrick costume and get standards for it drawn up and approved before I could be official.

So yeah, I am all over this! I'm more than happy to help in any way I can to get standards for KotOR Jedi robes approved - and not just because that's my fastest ticket to official membership, haha. It will be hard to get new pictures of me wearing my costume due to the fact that I'm busy with work and staying in a hotel for several weeks, although on the plus side, as it so happens I *do* happen to have said costume with me despite being very far from home. Even if I can't get submission-quality pictures of me wearing it, I'll try to take and post some pictures later this week of the costume by itself that will give everyone a better idea of how I did things.

Meanwhile, there's actually a second source for the KotOR Jedi robes in addition to the game! The Knights of the Old Republic comics had a few useful pictures, though mostly they only help with the collar and inner tunic. Check out these pictures on Wookieepedia:

The collar area of the red robes as they appear in the game

The collar area of the red robes as they appear in the comic

Dantooine Jedi Enclave Council 1

Dantooine Jedi Enclave Council 2

So here's my two credits on the proposed standards as currently written:

- The epaulets (that's what I'd call them instead of shoulder tabs/armor). On my robes (brown color scheme) I did not attempt to replicate the epaulet patterns, and instead settled for some thick textured leather. Of course I agree that the costume should have the correct color of leather for these, but I didn't think the pattern was significant enough (unlike, say, the patterns on the leather parts of Bastila's costume, or the lines on Zayne Carrick's padawan belt) to be a requirement. Though for the other four color schemes, the detailing on the epaulets looks much easier to replicate... anyway, maybe epaulet pattern should be a formal item. Note how in the images from the comics, the epaulets on the red and blue versions of the robes are visible, and do not have patterns.

- The inner tunic. With the brown robes, the shirt is cream-colored on a female character but brown on a male, so I would probably make either color acceptable regardless of gender. My original inner tunic/collar was bright white, but then I found a professionally-made, screen-used costume piece from a favorite scif-fi show on Ebay that was PERFECT in collar and texture, and so I'm using that even though it's off-white or very light tan. I think what I've got is close enough to be acceptable even for formal submission, though admittedly bright white would be better. Sky blue should also be acceptable with the brown robes, because there's a special version of the robes that have that instead of white. I can't remember what the game calls that outfit, but you can view it here.
Also, I interpreted the collar as belonging to a whole separate garment, such that the dark brown shirt is a third layer of cloth between the outer robe and the white inner tunic. Your method has the advantage of fewer layers, though! My approach was influenced heavily by the headshot of Master Vrook from the comics. In the first link above, the inner tunic can easily be interpreted as having two different colors and either a turtleneck or no collar (but maybe some folds or wrinkles - probably what you meant by wrap style). However, in the second link illustrating his appearance in the comic, there is definitely something along the lines of a Mandarin style collar. Both images leave it debatable whether or not the collar is part of another single-color shirt (three total layers including outer robe) or sewn to the other-color shirt (two total layers).

- The bracers (I think this is what you referred to as armored gauntlets). They don't have to be fancy, but I think they should be required, at least as one of the choices of formal items. My bracers are currently just single pieces of leather that fasten with snaps, though I have plans and supplies for adding much more detail to replicate their in-game appearance. The great thing about the bracers is that I can use them for pockets! I usually keep my little Canon Powershot inside one and my phone inside the other, for easy access. (Unfortunately, I probably won't be able to do that anymore now that I have a Galaxy Note II, which might be too big.)

- The outer robe. Mine does not have any piping on the lower hem, although I like that interpretation. I interpreted it as a frayed or worn hem, and although it is an excellent detail, I would not make it a requirement on the brown robes. I agree that the red robes, however, definitely have piping along the hem.

Aside from those points, I think you did an excellent job in drafting the standards! How soon can we get this approved? The more people in KotOR costumes, the merrier! Razz

As a footnote until I get more pictures uploaded, here's the full-sized picture I got my current avatar from. It's one of the best pictures I have of me in my KotOR robes, although it's missing the boot cuffs (which completely fell apart as soon as I walked into the convention) and the bracers. This was taken at one of the costume contests at Celebration V.

jedimastermolina (Alan)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

impressive most impressive the only thing I would change is your boots as they have zipper in the inside

other than that it looks good

KJO DXO / LCJ Legion Costume Judge /
Starforge (Jacob Degan)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I have the cuffs attached to the top of the boots, it hides the zipper pull, and of course looks cooler and is more accurate. However, those boots will need replacing soon anyway because the soles have cracked. Where would you recommend I get suitable boots that don't cost an arm an a leg? We guys don't have near as many choices for decent Jedi boots as the ladies do.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: