Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=1383059a77a5ad6be4aa24578405ec44Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Senatorial Leia build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: ANH Senatorial Leia build Reply with quote

Hi there! I already posted something rather similar to this over in the Echo Base build threads, but I want a more widespread opinion from some other Leias on my costume. Currently, I represent the Galactic Academy--I turn 16 next month, so I've got some time before I can join the Legion. However, I want my costume to be as accurate and as close to the standards as it can be.

It's not 100% RL standard-accurate, but it's getting there. If you've any tips, please feel free to share. I'm pretty new to all of this so I'm trying hard to get it right!

So here's the full costume:

It looks pretty good from this angle; the lack of slits in the gown is not noticable.

Two with the hood up:

Ignore the painted-black Jango blaster, I'm working on getting a DDC Defender to go with my Leia.

The back of the costume (this is a terrible angle, but it gives you an idea) :

Currently, I wear a wig with some of my hair sprayed over it to give it a natural-looking hairline. Although the costume standards state that the buns should be made from my real hair, I have shoulder-length hair and I can't really do anything with it at the moment. I've had no luck with extentions so far, so I'm sticking with the wig until my hair gets long enough to style it myself.

Any thoughts? I'm trying to get my Leia costume as accurate as possible so by the time I can switch to the Rebel Legion from the Galactic Academy, I'm all good to go.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can say that you don't need to use your natural hair for the buns. It's a natural hair color that we care about. I like what you did with your own hair to disguise the wiggy-ness of it. Though, I can't see a back part in your wig, so that could be problematic.

Parting wigs nicely is about the worst thing ever, but here's a tutorial for that: http://www.pettingzoowigs.com/wigtutorial_parting.html
Alternatively, Arda Wigs sells a really nice pre-parted wig: http://arda-wigs.com/products/leia

If you wanted to use your own hair, there are couple ways to do that. My hair is about jaw-length, so I use insta-buns. Here's how I made mine: http://silentsong.toweroftime.com/bun-tutorial.html I don't have any tutorials to point you to, but I know some folks who twist in ponytail extensions with their own hair to get the thickness required for the buns, but you need longer hair than I have now to pull that off.

Slits up the side are necessary, but that's a fairly easy fix.

If you are going for super accuracy, you should probably interface your collar so it stands up stiffer. Another fun fact is that the hood hem is actually hand sewn, though that is not a RL requirement at all.

I hope to see you joining us in a couple of years. Mr. Green

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lack of a part could possibly be from the fact that my hair is getting longer and when I pull it over the wig's hairline, it comes right over the part.

Last night, I went to an event and decided to keep my hair entirely under the wig, so these pictures show off the back part:

As for the collar and hood, I didn't make my costume. I have very minimal sewing experience, so I had it made for me by a lady online. So I don't know if she hand-sewed the hood, though that is nice to know if I grow as a seamstress and do eventually make my own costume!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, okay, I see that part now. Smile But know that if you ever want to use your real hair and not have a hot, heavy wig on your head, there are options for other buns too. I'll pester DWH to get that twisted buns tutorial up that she promised a while ago.

No time like the present to start learning to sew little by little! I started costuming seriously when I was about 16, so by the time I was old enough and found out about the Rebel Legion, I was already making some pretty decent stuff.

Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wig isn't really that bad once I have it on for a while. I think, now that I know it isn't a requirement to use your own hair, I'll wear it just in case I ever dye my hair.

Those insta-buns are an awesome idea, by the way! I bet if you sold those, you could get rich from them, LOL.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know of a couple of blond Leia's that use temporary hair spray dye in dark brown to match their hair to their buns for troops. I'm tempted to make a more Leia-accurate colored buns and spray darker brown for more formal troops, but so far no one has called me out for being a bit blonder.

Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been doing some styling on the wig (one bun is higher up than the other, I had to fix that), and I'm trying to get it to look as natural as possible. It has two hairnets (one for each bun) strategically pinned down to hold the hair in place, and I'm working on making the back blend in with my real hairline, which is pretty low so it's a good thing the wig hair matches the hair on my head.

(Pictures soon to come)

And the dress is currently being updated, too. I have a Luke that I've trooped with putting slits in it, so when he gets that done I can have a Leia that meets Legion standards!
Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the slits are in!

SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slits look great! Fantastic!

RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see that you are already planning to join the senate when the time comes Smile Smile . The academy always does a fantastic job with recruits!
Nice work on your costume.
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking at your belt and only have two notes. Also, welcome!

The first is the center front piece should be straight across at the top, not dipped in the center.

The second is that the belt overall seems very large on you. Have you considered scaling the entire thing down a small bit? The metal pieces seem large and the belt doesn't seem to fit you that well. If you're not done growing, ignore this tip. If you are (like I was at 16), then maybe look at knocking 10% off the size of all the pieces. Maybe make a paper mock up and see how it looks. Its one thing to be hyper accurate to the measurements taken from the screen used costumes, its another to scale it properly to your dimensions.
PatchworkPirate (Courtney Hudgens)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 3 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have to say I'm with the Insta-buns! I combined Jenna and Rachel's tutorials for mine and I must say I will NEVER GO BACK TO USING A WIG! Seriously, I used to use Arda's "Leia" wig and not only was it a pain to restyle (after every.single.troop.) it also weighed a ton! The instabuns weigh practically nothing. Love them.
Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Princess Leah wrote:
I'm looking at your belt and only have two notes. Also, welcome!

The first is the center front piece should be straight across at the top, not dipped in the center.

The second is that the belt overall seems very large on you. Have you considered scaling the entire thing down a small bit? The metal pieces seem large and the belt doesn't seem to fit you that well. If you're not done growing, ignore this tip. If you are (like I was at 16), then maybe look at knocking 10% off the size of all the pieces. Maybe make a paper mock up and see how it looks. Its one thing to be hyper accurate to the measurements taken from the screen used costumes, its another to scale it properly to your dimensions.

Nobody mentioned the belt to me before! I really hope I don't have to go out and get a new one just because of the dip in the front...upon further inspection, it really isn't that noticeable in a lot of pictures unless you really look for it.

At the time I had the belt made for me, my waist measurement kept changing. At first it was 24", but by the time I actually got it, it had jumped up to 26". So the belt is made to fit a 28" waist to allow wiggle-room. It's still incredibly tight on me--breathing can sometimes be a pain considering the belt is usually right across my diaphragm.

PatchworkPirate wrote:
I'd have to say I'm with the Insta-buns! I combined Jenna and Rachel's tutorials for mine and I must say I will NEVER GO BACK TO USING A WIG! Seriously, I used to use Arda's "Leia" wig and not only was it a pain to restyle (after every.single.troop.) it also weighed a ton! The instabuns weigh practically nothing. Love them.

I'm actually IN LOVE with my wig! Sometimes it gets a little heavy, but only after I've worn it for several hours at a troop. I love being able to take my hair right off at the end of the day. I'm going to stick with the wig for this one. Wink
Annie Organa ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And now I have acquired a DDC Defender to use with my costume! I don't have any photos of me, in costume, with the blaster, but here it is by itself:

All I need to do is fix the belt issue and my costume will be screen-accurate! Although the belt is low down on my list of priorities because I still have two more years until I can submit my costume.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: