About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=8fff6fa1d1fadde2050c868943699666Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

First Generic Jedi with skirt
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stardancer1914 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: First Generic Jedi with skirt Reply with quote

I have decided that my first formal generic Jedi outfit will be with a skirt. So have a couple questions: How long should the outer tunic be to go with a floor length skirt. I am asking since all the Jedi pictures I have seen with that length skirt don't look like they have an outer tunic. Is the outer tunic floor length as well? Or can the outer tunic be short in the front and full length in the back? I am assuming the tabards should go the full length of the skirt as well? Also, I am going with a cloak and not a robe - does Simplicity pattern 5794 work with making the hood larger (wider)? Finally, how wide is a wide leather belt? I am short and short-waisted so anything wider than 1.5" looks weird on me. (I am going with a Luke style belt for that reason as well) thanks!
stardancer1914 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks that is helpful. Is the skirt in your picture a wrap around? I am asking because I see two hem lengths in front. I was planning on just using a gored or circle skirt but a wrap around might be easier to move around in.
stardancer1914 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the what I am thinking for fabrics for the skirt, long sleeve inner tunic, cloak and tabards :

And this is what I am debating about for the outer sleeveless tunic and Obi - can't decide between the black or the gray. Almost like the idea of gray tunic with black obi.

Boots and Leather belt are black if that helps

If the images don't appear here are the links to the pinterest board
Cloak, skirt, tabard, inner tunic: https://pinterest.com/pin/394839092301359352/
Outer tunic, obi: https://pinterest.com/pin/394839092301359354/
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the outer tunic can be of varying lengths with a floor length skirt. My only advice on length (for the outer tunic) is to make sure the outer tunic isn’t so short that it looks like a shirt. I would recommend something at or longer than Jocasta Nu’s (which Jason pictured).

I do think the tabards should be fairly long (from an esthetic opinion and point of view). I’d recommend to the knee or longer or even to the floor. Any length in that range, to MY eye, will look good. Tabards that would stop mid-thigh or higher would look weird to me. But again, I’d need to see it to tell you my final opinion.

I do think that the tabards on the back should either end at the obi OR be as long as those in the front. When the front and back tabards are mismatched on length, it looks weird to me.

Never seen an outer tunic that had a variable length (short in front, long in back). I don’t know…to me, that might look weird. I’d just need to see it.

As for the belt? Well, there’s about to be a significant update to the Generic Jedi costume standards. We’re really not changing much, but rather clarifying the components. We’re offering suggested lengths/widths/heights for some of the costume components. While these are actual numbers, some level of common sense must be used when making a costume. The costume must fit the body and look proportional. Sadly, I’m sure some folks will misinterpret these suggested measurements, thinking they’re set in stone…and will start screaming. Oh well….I’ll deal with that when it happens. But…I digress…

For the belt? Well, the Generic Jedi Costume Standards will say something like this:

a. Belts are generally two inches to two and a half inches wide, but the width should be in proportion to the wearer. Very tall or large costumers may need a wider belt. Very short people may need a narrower belt.

So…while it is generally accepted that the majority of Jedi Style A (Prequel) (inner or wider) belts are 2.25” in width (with an inner or thinner belt being roughly 0.5” (maybe as much as 0.75”), they could range from (I’m guessing) 1.75” to maybe 3” wide, depending on the costumer’s height and girth. Again….gotta use common sense, and…make it look like the belts seen in the films AND make it fit your body type.

As for a belt that is 1.5” wide (Style B, or “Luke” style)….if you’re really short, then that might be okay….again, it needs to look right for your body type. You might want to get a black strip of construction or poster paper and try some widths with your costume before you purchase or actually make your belt. Even if you’re really short, I think 1.75” wide belt should look good. And yeah, 2” or more might look too wide for you.

About Simplicity 5794?
The design of that robe or cloak looks good.
And we are defining it like this:
Robe = sleeves
Cloak (or cape) = no sleeves

Here’s what the new Generic Jedi Costume Standards will say about robes/cloaks(capes):
Large Jedi robe or cloak (cape) with attached over-sized hood, similar to movie canon robes/cloaks, in the same color scheme as listed for the main costume.
a. A hooded cape with side splits similar in construction that worn by Anakin in Attack of the Clones, is permitted.
b. The hood should be large enough so that (1) when the hood is up, the sides of the hood drape to cover the shoulders and (2) when down, the tip of the hood should fall near the small of the back (or lower).
c. The sleeves should be full and, when closed (at the hand end) be at least half the length of the costumers arm (or longer).
d. The sleeves should have a wide hem (four inches to six inches) and fall to the knuckles when the arm is at rest at the costumer’s side.
e. The overall body of the robe or cloak/cape should be full.
f. The length of the robe or cloak/cape should be hemmed no shorter than two inches off the floor.
g. Face character robes/cloaks from the Original Trilogy (Luke, Old Ben) or from a non-Jedi characters (Count Dookoo) are not permitted (although these can be worn with the costume once the base costume is approved).

So…if you want your cloak/cape to be one of your three optional items for formal status….then stick with this description of what the updated costume standards say (which will likely be posted this weekend), and you’ll be good. Otherwise, if you’ve got enough optionals for formal status without the cloak/cape, then it doesn’t matter so much. An insufficient robe or cloak/cape would be ignored in the judging, but you can still wear it.

Finally…Fabrics of choice?

I think you’re good. Honestly though…I’m not a fan of light blue (or light green, for that matter). This is NOT my opinion as an LCJ (not active) or as the Assistant LMO or even as the DCO of the KJO…this is just my opinion regarding light blue for Jedi. I don’t mind blue, in general (it’s my favorite color, actually), but for Jedi, I prefer subdued colors. So darker blues (for Jedi), look good. Not so much for lighter blues. And the standards say “no bright” colors.

Oh…and I tweaked your post and made the pics show up…hope you don’t mind Wink

Well…there’s my two credits worth of an opinion. Keep asking questions…and keep posting pics of your progress Very Happy

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
stardancer1914 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for making the pictures show up! I looked all over on how to do it but could not find anything. I want to post the costume as I go along so I can get input and fix anything before final submission.

The blue is actually a dull light blue - it looks bright in the photo because the flash went off. The actual color is closer in the second photo - no flash.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then...for the light blue, with it being "darker" without the flash....good! Very Happy

In your case, I believe you copies the url for the whole page and not just the picture. What I did was click on the picture itself to make it the only thing in the window, THEN copied the url or link and insert it between:
[img]...[/img]

sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

questions:

"c" calls for the sleeve length to be half the length of the costumer's arm.
"d" calls for the sleeve to be longer than the knuckles.

if the sleeve length were to fall 1/2 way between the elbow and the wrist (for example),
this would be acceptable under "c" but not acceptable under "d".

these two points seem to contradict each other, re: sleeve length.
some clarification would be appreciated. thanks.

also,

a. A hooded cape with side splits

- Anakin wore a semi circle cape with attached preacher-style (around-the-neck/under-the-hood) "tabbards".

there were no side splits on anakin's cape;
(these tabbards are ~10-12 inches shorter than the cape itself --- they are not part of the cape).

- in Return of the Jedi, Luke wore a semi-circle cape with NO tabbards at all (nor side splits of any kind).

- in the clone wars feature film, Ahsoka wore a semi-circle cape with NO tabbards at all (nor side splits of any kind).

this rule seems to exclude both anakin & luke's capes. (as well as Ahsoka's).

are these "side splits" really necessary? (they did not appear in either trilogy;
there is no precedent for "Side Splits" in a "cape", anywhere in the SW universe).

also,

f. The length of the robe or cloak/cape should be hemmed no shorter than two inches off the floor.

Qui-gon's robe is approximately 6 inches off the floor.
does this mean that Qui-gon's (screen-used, screen-accurate) costume,
would be disallowed in the rebel legion?

some clarification on these points would be appreciated. Smile
(also, exactly "when" are these new rules coming into effect?) thanks.

Last edited by sze-wan () on Wed May 29, 2013 7:47 pm; edited 6 times in total
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

p.s: it suddenly dawned on me that "c" is (probably?) referring to "1/2 the circumference of the cuff"(?)

This was not apparent, from the way it's been worded.
(try: "the circumference of the cuff should be as long as the costumer's arm, or longer")

Again, some clarification would be appreciated. thanks.

Last edited by sze-wan () on Wed May 29, 2013 7:05 pm; edited 5 times in total
Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The outer tunic should be long enough to completely cover your buttocks, at least...

In my opinion, it looks so much nicer to have it fall smoothy over the backside.
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if that's a wrap around skirt or not. It might just be a double skirt, one slightly shorter than the other, to give it a fuller look. Hard to tell. Would probably have to find more pictures of that costume to get a better idea. But I would think a wrap around skirt would work too.

I'm actually working on a generic jedi with an outer tunic that has a skirt that's short in front, long in back. I'll be wearing boots and breeches under mine (will have pictures of the whole thing on as soon as I get the inner tunic finished up), but I would think you could use a floor length skirt under something similar as well.

Grab some colored pencils or something and sketch out some ideas and see what you think. Even if you're not that great at drawing, you can get the basic idea down to see what you like or don't like.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sze-wan wrote:
p.s: it suddenly dawned on me that "c" is (probably?) referring to "1/2 the circumference of the cuff"(?)

This was not apparent, from the way it's been worded.
(try: "the circumference of the cuff should be as long as the costumer's arm, or longer")

Again, some clarification would be appreciated. thanks.

Yes, you are exactly correct! Thumbs up

Granny-Wan wrote:
The outer tunic should be long enough to completely cover your buttocks, at least...

In my opinion, it looks so much nicer to have it fall smoothy over the backside.

Thumbs up

Exactly what I was thinking. Sometimes I talk to much and cloud the issue, lol

Granny-Wan (Marie Cannon)
Mos Eisley Base XO
Mos Eisley Base  XO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrisAntilles wrote:
Not sure if that's a wrap around skirt or not. It might just be a double skirt, one slightly shorter than the other, to give it a fuller look. Hard to tell. Would probably have to find more pictures of that costume to get a better idea. But I would think a wrap around skirt would work too.

I'm actually working on a generic jedi with an outer tunic that has a skirt that's short in front, long in back. I'll be wearing boots and breeches under mine (will have pictures of the whole thing on as soon as I get the inner tunic finished up), but I would think you could use a floor length skirt under something similar as well.

Grab some colored pencils or something and sketch out some ideas and see what you think. Even if you're not that great at drawing, you can get the basic idea down to see what you like or don't like.

That tunic is STUNNING!
stardancer1914 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, appreciate all the input but some of sze-wan's comments might be better posted on the generic jedi costume requirements board and not here. I am really looking for help with my costume so I have a better chance of it being approved when I am done. And Granny Wan - totally agree with you and I think you are my base when I get approved as I live in Mesa! Kris - your outfit is what gave me the idea to go shorter in front and longer in back but I think with the full skirt I am going to go the same length all the way around since I am short. After washing the fabrics and seeing them shrink (always wash your fabrics before cutting!) I am going to go with the gray for the tunic and black for the obi. Since my boots are black and the leather belt is black it should all blend in nicely - which will be a plus since I am so short-waisted. I think I have the pouches almost done and will post the pictures when they get done. I am going to work on the cloak next since SithariRog was so kind to post the new generic jedi robe/cloak requirements ahead of time. Will wait till the rest are posted to work on the tunics and obi - just in case there are any changes.

Oh and since my outer tunic will be sleeveless (since the inner tunic is long-sleeved) I am assuming that the typical sleeve-hole facing is what is done and no sleeve shoulder tucks are needed?
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha...there are no "Generic Jedi" forums. These forums are it for discussing Jedi costumes (other than the face characters). Threads to get "hijacked", from time to time though. It's unavoidable. No harm done. And I'm not calling this a hijacking...we're still on track with discussing your costume Wink

Anyway...

Shoulder tucks are not required for Generic Jedi. They are uber sexy (in my opinion) and I LOVE seeing them, but they're not necessary. Some costumes (like yours) might be better without them. Plus...without sleeves on your OT, you really can't do them anyway.

I don't know...you might play around with the sleeve hole design. Maybe a rolled border or a short hem. What ever you do should be fine...and should not effect the judging.

As for the size of the hood that we're looking for with our Generic Jedi costumes, if you haven't already, have a look at this thread:
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=36267

Of course, you'll need to make it porportional to your body size and to blend with the cloak/cape you're making.

Again, a porportional costume (fitting your body) is more important than exact measurements that you might hear from others...or even read this coming weekend when we post the latest update to the Generic Jedi Costume Standards.

stardancer1914 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the Scarf style tabard still ok? Thinking of doing that just to cut down on the fabric I will be wearing. Have to deal with 110 degree weather at times.

Thanks again for all the input. Especially the hood dimensions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: