Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=93eb6fbe3c3f2c743114d5a7ae28aba0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Padme's Lake Dress Hair
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:27 pm    Post subject: Padme's Lake Dress Hair Reply with quote

I am looking into doing Padme's lake dress. I think my main issue right now is properly executing this hairstyle. If anyone has done a lake dress Padme before, I would really appreciate some tips on doing the hair Smile Thanks!
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a bit of hunting and both of these threads have some discussion that might help you figure it out:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=27659&highlight=lake
http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=42788&highlight=lake+dress+hair

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site

Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:47 am    Post subject: Thank you! Reply with quote

Thank you Song of Amazon! Beautiful costumes by the way..you are very talented!!
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 3:46 am    Post subject: Tutorials with pictures Reply with quote

Are there any tutorials that have step-by-step pictures on how to do the hair?
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Padawan's guide has a Making of-page for this dress, with tutorials for the hair as well. Scroll to the bottom of this page - http://www.padawansguide.com/pastel_makingof.shtml
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this tutorial a while back

http://tracyscostumingworld.weebly.com/making-the-lake-dress-wig.html
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also working on this at the moment. I am a bit confused on how to use the napkin rings suggested to loop around the hair. Has anyone else had this issue? Suggestions on how to fix it?

I took three bridal headbands and painted them lilac and attached the pearls but I have no clue how to proceed from here. I have a hair piece that matches my hair and can make the cornucopia bottom of the hair but the smaller ties are really boggling my mind.

[/code]
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above tutorials have some tips on how to do it. I also just found this quick tutorial on youtube, if it helps: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbmV_MASjtE

You should note that the standards require that the headbands be covered in a silk/silk-like/brocade fabric rather than just painted, with the pearls sewn on. The front-most headband is wider than the others, so you may want to stuff the wrapping with a little quilt batting or something when you wrap the headbands in fabric.

LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SongofAmazon wrote:

You should note that the standards require that the headbands be covered in a silk/silk-like/brocade fabric rather than just painted, with the pearls sewn on. The front-most headband is wider than the others, so you may want to stuff the wrapping with a little quilt batting or something when you wrap the headbands in fabric.

So I can use bridal headbands and just paint them & then sew the pearls? They are satin, if I am not mistaken. Also, in a previous comment you mentioned a site that gives details on how to do the hair. It suggests using pipe cleaners and "wadding". Would doing it that way be approved?

This would all be experimenting as I have never attempted what they suggest but if it would be approved in that style, I can have a go at it.
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the bridal headbands are already satin, they should work, as long as they look big enough compared to your hair.

What it comes down to, both for the headbands and the hair, is not what you use, but how it looks when it is all together. I encourage you to try out those techniques and see what works best for you.

lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!! Sorry for jumping in on this, but here's also my work in progress for this hairstyle.

I still need the headbands (already have them - just need to cover them with the satin ribbon that matches the liliac of my dress and add pearls), but the base is complete.

It looks kinda weird without the headbands, but hopefully I'll be able to post updates with the final look very soon Smile

~ RLGS Member
LeiaAurora ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lalalorhen wrote:
Hello!! Sorry for jumping in on this, but here's also my work in progress for this hairstyle.

I still need the headbands (already have them - just need to cover them with the satin ribbon that matches the liliac of my dress and add pearls), but the base is complete.

It looks kinda weird without the headbands, but hopefully I'll be able to post updates with the final look very soon Smile

Is that your real hair? It looks fantastic!
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope lol it's just a wig. It matches my hair color perfectly, so I can pull out a few strands of my own and blend it with the wig, in order to make it look more natural. But hey, thanks!

~ RLGS Member
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little update - trying to figure out whether I got the proportions right: first headband a little larger than the second one, third is going to be same as second, then gradually smaller as they wrap along the cornucopia.
Would it work?

~ RLGS Member
lalalorhen (Loren)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2016 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry - double post - my phone messed up

~ RLGS Member
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: