Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5a13de6dd650bd96b1fd93e3c12d8d8dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Jedi Face Character "pouch/box" Requirements
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Jedi Face Character "pouch/box" Requirements Reply with quote

The Costuming Standards Committee (consisting of the committee members themselves, the DCOs, the LMO team and the LCJs) are constantly upgrading and clarifying our costume standards so that our applicants can have the best information for building any of our costumes.

Something that Jedi part of the CSC has been meaning to change for some time is the standards for Jedi “pouches” for our face characters. Naturally, we hold our face characters to a higher standard when approving these costumes. With this in mind, it’s important for the utility pouches/boxes to be as screen accurate as possible. We’ve not approved any of the costumebase or other pouches most commonly purchased from ebay in recent memory. Sadly, getting the more screen accurate pouches/boxes is more difficult as the folks that make them are often not in “business” of making them…though they are available once you know where to look.

So…we will be updating our face character Jedi costume standards as time permits. Until then, this thread serves as a notice to our costumers who are building Jedi costumes of the type of pouches/boxes that are required for formal status with our face character Jedi.

These pouches are NOT acceptable for FACE CHARACTER Jedi:

These ARE okay for Generic Jedi costumes.

The kinds of leather pouches the LCJs are looking for with our Face Character Jedi are similar to this pouch (which is an OWK leather pouch):

(Obviously, the Anakin pouch is different.)

The resin cast utility belt “boxes” that the LCJs are looking for with our Face Character Jedi are similar these:

(Note: these boxes pictured are specific for ROTS. The type and number of resin boxes for OWK, Anakin and for other face character Jedi are different for each film. Please refer to each costume standard for the desired/required combination.)

So, over the next few days to a week or two, we hope to update the “pouch” section of the Face Character Jedi Costume Standards.

Finally, I need to say that this is not a new ruling. This policy has been in place for some time (at least for more than a year).

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base

Last edited by SithariRog (Roger Allen) on Mon May 27, 2013 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog, what are your thoughts on these leather pouches from Civilized Galactic Gear?

I for one severely object to having a useless block of plastic on my belt when a functional and beautiful leather equivalent that looks identical is available.

Tython Base Facebook Page
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pictured are okay for face characters.

The small and tall look good (the right and middle boxes pictured) and are close to screen accurate.

The wide ribbed box (pictured on the left) is NOT screen accurate, but is of a good enough quality and reasonable look to pass for those face characters who use it (Anakin, Bultar Swan, to name two).

Regarding the functionality of these resin boxes...that is not a requirement for formal approval...and is a matter of preference. My Jedi pants have pockets, so I don't need functional boxes. My leather pouch is, of course functional.

lgtsbr ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger I have to respectfully disagree with you, the pictures you show and how you label them are correct for ROTS only. The wide pouch you show as common between Anakin and Obi Wan is, to my knowledge, only used in ROTS. I believe the wide ribbed pouch was used by Obi Wan and Anakin in AOTC as well as Obi Wan and Qui Gon in TPM.

So, the wide ribbed pouch should be considered accurate depending on what face costume people are trying to do.

as a matter of fact, the Visual Dictionary for AOTC shows Anakin's belt with the Tall, Wide, and Short ribbed pouches on it, shouldn't that be considered semi accurate source material?

I also have imagery showing Obi wearing all ribbed pouches in AOTC and TPM.

The smooth side wide pouch didn't show up until ROTS, same with the slim line leather.

I agree with you that we have to hold costume standards high for face characters, but we need to consider what face character it is and judge from there, IE if it is Anakin then the belt and pouch setup should match the movie that the costumer is going for, make sense?

I managed to get my hands on a complete set of functional, resin pouches from when Diego did them, so that answered the concern of useless blocks of plastic. If/when I ever get around to doing a face character, I will be set. That's not to discount Civilized Galactic Gear, I for one think those are fantastic looking Fry Mureys, I would wear them proudly Smile

Dave
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave, you are correct in that the resin boxes I pictured in the OP are for ROTS, and that the number and style of resin boxes are different for each prequel film, but...debating which resin box goes with which character is not the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is to show the quality and over all look of the resin boxes that are required for face character Jedi. Each costume standard is specific for which actual resin boxes (and leather pouch) is required for each of the face character Jedi.

jedimastermolina (Alan)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fyr Mureys wrote:
SithariRog, what are your thoughts on these leather pouches from Civilized Galactic Gear?

I for one severely object to having a useless block of plastic on my belt when a functional and beautiful leather equivalent that looks identical is available.

are this resin or leather?

LCJ / Legion Costume Judge /Charter Committee/
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jedimastermolina wrote:
Fyr Mureys wrote:

are this resin or leather?

They are leather, and they are awesome. I have a set in black (see my profile). Tom makes some reaaly sweet leather armor & stuff as well AND is a heck of a nice guy to deal with

Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lgtsbr wrote:
I managed to get my hands on a complete set of functional, resin pouches from when Diego did them, so that answered the concern of useless blocks of plastic. If/when I ever get around to doing a face character, I will be set. That's not to discount Civilized Galactic Gear, I for one think those are fantastic looking Fry Mureys, I would wear them proudly Smile

Dave

Thanks Dave. I've seen the "functional" resin pouches, and I don't consider them all that functional... Wink But better than a solid block. I don't have the civilised ones, but one of my members does, and if I needed this type of pouch I wouldn't consider anything else while there is a chance they would be approved. They're worth the price!

Tython Base Facebook Page
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm...didn't realize anyone was making the non-functional resin boxes solid? That would suck and make for a heavy belt :O

Mine are hollow...and rather light.

lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
Dave, you are correct in that the resin boxes I pictured in the OP are for ROTS, and that the number and style of resin boxes are different for each prequel film, but...debating which resin box goes with which character is not the point of this thread.

The point of this thread is to show the quality and over all look of the resin boxes that are required for face character Jedi. Each costume standard is specific for which actual resin boxes (and leather pouch) is required for each of the face character Jedi.

Then I misread your post and apologize, I thought you were saying those were the only 2 setups that were being considered for face characters.

Dave
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry SithariRog, you said the pouch on the left is NOT screen accurate? I do have that complete set and believe the pouch on the left is a VERY screen accurate version of OWK 's AOTC setup ( in fact the picture of the 3 pouches shown, is the complete Episode 2 OWK setup) I agree with Fyr, they are worth every cent and also with Daddy Solo - Tom is a really nice guy to deal with.

I will shortly be presenting an OWK AOTC for approval so I need to get it right. Can you just confirm for me that you DON'T think the pouch on the left is screen accurate?

" Another happy landing "
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I said it is not (I'll add the word "wholly") screen accurate, but...I also said it was good quality and that it will pass for face character Jedi.

Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry this photo isnt the best, I am running out the door and just had to grab a screen shot. Its the bar scene EP2 and was very dark. I had to lighten it significantly to see the pouch in question.

It looks very accurate to me? What part would you change Roger ? Do you have a better photo then mine so you can show me what you mean?

Regards,

Shay..

SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay, I already gave pics of what the face character costume standards and the LCJs require for face character Jedi, AND Fur Mureys offered some pics if pouches that I confirmed that are also acceptable.

In comparing the Fur pics with the ref pic you added, it should be clear that the film box is wider, the depressions of the design and the color is different than the commercially available real leather pouch.

But this doesn't matter, because...as I've stated twice already, this pouch is okay for the face character Jedi. If you already have this pouch...use it, you will be okay.

Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey you know what Roger, you said it was acceptable BUT it wasnt screen accurate. I would prefer to present something that WAS screen accurate so asked for your expert guidance as to what would make it screen accurate. Nothing more. I can assure you if the difference was obvious to me, I wouldnt have wasted your time.

Im sorry you seem frustrated by this question but thank you for the answer.

Regards,

Shay.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: