Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=dd7ef0a7965fb93b05db13d5c14c9890Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mos Espa's Massiff Squadron - A-wing project
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 10:34 pm    Post subject: Mos Espa's Massiff Squadron - A-wing project Reply with quote

Rebels:

I'm just posting here the progress and eventually final photos of our group project for A-wing pilots. I'm making mine first, submitting for approval, then the other 5 from our squadron will submit as I get their gear done.

Here are a couple pieces so far:

The vest:
[img[/img]

Chest box before paint (made from sheet plastic and a handful of electrical components for greeblies):
[img[/img]

[img][/img]

Awing
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's looking pretty neat so far. Good luck.

Before you paint the chestbox you should think of making a mold of it and selling off copies. I'm sure there would be a number of people interested in buying them.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good job!

The chestbox body looks incredible good to me, waiting to seeing it finished on the costume!
Jedi Knight
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Troopers Helping Troopers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice interpretation of the chestbox, but MAN it looks thick! Shocked

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! It does look beefy, but it's only 1-3/4" deep. I just need to finish the tube assembly that goes on the bottom, and post finished pics.

Too late on the mold idea, already hit it with black. I'm totally ignorant of molding techniques, but maybe it can be done still, or in the least, I can strip the paint. We have a couple vacuform people in the base, so I'll be getting with them.
Massiff Squadron CO

Jaryn Xur (John Shrout)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil: In case you haven't seen my reply on the Bloodfin forums, I have a soft helmet for the A-wing project from Dirty Tusken to give to you.

I'll get it to you on Saturday at the parade.

By the way, the chestbox looks great. I want one!!. Gonna be getting into vacforming, and could easily mold and resin cast the greeblies.

Catch ya later!

John
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought I'd mention it, but I'll be remaking the "disc" greeblie for the B-wing pilot helmet soon and making some resin copies of it, and judging by the references I've seen it's also the same piece that goes on the A-wing pilot flak vest but is painted a different color. So if anyone wants one once I get them finished, let me know!

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John! Yes, I need to get that flight helmet from you ASAP.... I'll hit you off list.

Alex, what's this greeblie? Does it go on the box? Would be very interested in it if it's spot on to what we need. Mine of course is our prototype, so perfecting all this now with mine before I make 6 more sets, well goes without saying!

Ok, here are shots of the completed chest box/hose, belt, and ejection harness:

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

[img][/img]

As you can see on the belt and harness, there are magnetic buttons to keep the center of the belt where it should be on the harness, and the end of the hose has it too to keep it on the back-left side of the belt. I'll likely end up fitting the magnetic buttons or velcro to just above the knees on the suit, to keep the leg loops of the harness from riding down (raising them up doesn't look right to me).

I noticed as I was uploading that I forgot one detail on the cylinder under the chest box: the photos bear out some sort of thing metal band near each end of it. I'll get those on, get the leggings done, then get some proper photos with everything except the hard helmet for submission Smile

Awing
Massiff Squadron CO

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leggings/gaiters!
[img][/img]
(front side of the gaiter on the left, back on the right)

That's all the basic gear fir submission right now. Real soon, a bucket from either our man Josh or Luis. I'm also going to work up a belt box soon, add a commpad, and maybe a sidearm. But first to get this basic kit approved, so I can proceed to making more for our squadron!

Full costume pics to come....

Awing
Massiff Squadron CO

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:

Alex, what's this greeblie? Does it go on the box? Would be very interested in it if it's spot on to what we need. Mine of course is our prototype, so perfecting all this now with mine before I make 6 more sets, well goes without saying!

It actually goes on the flak vest, over/between the two bottom ribs on the right side.

There are better pictures of it than this one, but I can't find them at the moment. But you can see it in this pre-production picture. The piece in over or between the two bottom ribs on the vest opposite of the yellow arrow.

You can see it pretty clearly in the Character Encyclopedia. The image just didn't scan very well.

It looks to be the same piece as on the prototype B-wing pilot helmet below, but painted orange or red instead of blue. I wish I knew what the piece was...

And it looks like your project is coming along pretty well!

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:

It actually goes on the flak vest, over/between the two bottom ribs on the right side.

There are better pictures of it than this one, but I can't find them at the moment. But you can see it in this pre-production picture. The piece in over or between the two bottom ribs on the vest opposite of the yellow arrow.

And it looks like your project is coming along pretty well!

Man, I'm looking hard, and I can't see anything but schmutz on the gray part of the vest (I have a bigger version of this pic too). Maybe something just to the right of the white cylinder under the box, but whatever it is, it's the same schmutzy gray.

Thanks! Getting ready to resize a few pics we just took for submission Smile Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the stuff. Btw these are NOT the pics I submitted officially.... Those are against a plain wall. These are just some preliminary shots... Ahem, before I remembered that they needed to be against a better background Smile

[img][/img]

[img][/img]
Massiff Squadron CO

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice submission and you're almost perfect. You should be hearing from me shortly. Smile

Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philonius wrote:

Man, I'm looking hard, and I can't see anything but schmutz on the gray part of the vest (I have a bigger version of this pic too). Maybe something just to the right of the white cylinder under the box, but whatever it is, it's the same schmutzy gray.

Thanks! Getting ready to resize a few pics we just took for submission Smile Smile

This probably doesn't help much, but here's a cropped picture of the piece. It's still grainy as hell, but... well...
Like I said, the picture in the book is a lot clearer, so if you have a chance to look at it, do it. Razz

You can see a circular greeblie in the picture, that has another circle cut out of it. There's another, smaller circle cut in the middle and four other circles (screw holes, I'd imagine) cut around that one.

The Mon Calamari A-wing pilot figure shows this greeblie as well. But of course it isn't painted or anything.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-7NCLe80NJxk/T0gX4HZ4HXI/AAAAAAAAA10/uSSSLIpLtgg/s1600/Review_Star_Wars_VC91_Rebel_Pilot_Mon_Calamari_9.png

The LEGO mini-figure has it, too, if that says anything. Razz

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-Otldymu1aJ8/UT-kY2EB9RI/AAAAAAAACLY/hKA32a8eYBA/s1600/DSC_0486.JPG

And the outfit looks good to me. Great job with it!
The only thing I might suggest is cutting off the loose parts of the ejection harness. Those are only shown in the unfinished pre-production picture in the Character Encyclopedia, where they're held in place by big safety pins. They didn't have the loose webbing in the movie. Smile

That, and the hose connecting to the belt is something we only see on the action figures. In the movie the hose is just tucked under the flak vest, or under the side straps, and I think one pilot has it tucked under his belt but I can't swear to that.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy that, Blue leader..... Thank you! Ok, I can see that greeblie now. I would certainly be interested in those to tighten the look up! Let me know how much you need.

Jon also suggested relocating the loose ends of the hose.... I'll be fooling with that next, probably move my magnet to the vest like you said. My hose end has a small PVC plumbing cap on the end, with one half of the magnet closure fitted to it.

And DUUUUH, don't forget the gloves!! I was able mod some up quickly though.

I will also take any good suggestions on improving the chest box. This one was an amalgamation of what I saw other guys doing, plus what little details I could discern from grainy pics. I want to know now before I get a mold made and start doing them for the squadron!

Awing
Massiff Squadron CO

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> A- Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: