About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5748f75c223e61df568ead7b8468a79cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Female Tusken Mask work

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dagobah Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:12 pm    Post subject: Female Tusken Mask work Reply with quote

I did a group purchase of female mask kits from DZ0437 and the first mask is complete and ready to paint/ assemble.
Here's my appraisal:

I have around six hours in the mask, bones and resin parts, a fair amount of time for cleanup and fit. The parts, other than the mask, are raw pulls. to clean each part i did the traditional "scribe and snap" with a new utility knife blade. I also worked over the bone parts with a sealing iron to improve their look, curving the top of the "bone" part down to mimic a real rib bone. Then I plate sanded the bottoms of all the parts to square them up. I drilled the rivets out to be replaced with real round head rivets, and spent some time cleaning up the definition between the bone and the bronze.

the only detail I see missing is the segmented seperation line between the upper and front half of the mask, and each side. I'll see what i can find or come up with to replicate this feature.

I would say a good, solid hour -and -a- half went into going beyond cleaning and trimming these parts. I used a round cutting ball on my dremel and did the same that tank modelers do to get cast iron texture, bouncing it on the plastic, then cleaned all that up with a sanding sponge. Each bone received scratched in detail to mimic real bone, and these scratches will hold the paint washes to come.

Each bone part was trued up on a sanding plate taped to my bench, and my standard Dremel barrel sanding drum was used to open the holes in the bottom of four of the bones, to fit the peg that sockets into place. I had to true each, and refine each, then mark them for location, top-to-bottom. This took a while but in the end, was worth it. Make sure to leave the lower surface of one bone joint completely intact, this will mount to the cup shaped piece.

For the resin parts I ground out the backside of each, then laid rough sandpaper over the forhead piece & trued the resin casting to the shape of the forehead. This and the other two dimples will be installed with E600 + small screws. Ill prime the resin parts this afternoon after i give them a final sanding to reduce thier overall height as they are too tall compared to the screen seen costume.

Each eye hole was given a football shape, and checked for alignment.

I really like the rough sand colored fabric that I got with the kit, and the two pieces of screen mesh are a nice addition as well. Two large plastic plates, and some velcro are included in the kit, as well.

In all, it will be a pretty decent kit, that with some additional time and effort spent up front will look awesome when finished.

halyonix ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is so cool! i need to get some weekends in to work on costumes
Princess Sandy ()
Legion XO
Legion XO

Medals: 2 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awesome!
www.facebook.com/PrincessSandy41280
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lady K (Karen)
Dagobah Base XO
Dagobah Base XO

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that looks awesome! Can't wait to see the finished product!

Royal Rebellion Delegation CO
reela (Jeffrey Corbello)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not criticizing but the ornament in the center of the forehead looks rather large or thick. Does that get ground down or shrunk in some way?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dagobah Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: