About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f4b0467be3d07339e0818bd5567aa161Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Young Anakin Skywalker WIP (mostly done actually)!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0c00lgamertag (David Sage)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 11:41 pm    Post subject: Young Anakin Skywalker WIP (mostly done actually)! Reply with quote

So I decided to make my son his very own costume to wear when he tags along with me for events. We didn't want to be limited to Jawas, Ewoks and various Droids, so I went with the Young Anakin Skywalker getup since I hadn't seen many.

The first thing I located was a Don Post Pod Racer helmet on eBay. The flip down lenses and retaining rod were broken so I got if for crazy cheap. $15 including shipping.

I had to make one of the lens frames out of left over TK ABS, and make a new rod out of a hanger. The helmet had to come apart first to get some of the old broken pieces out...

Repaired and reassembled helmet. I left the plastic lenses out since my son wears glasses. Thank you E-6000!

My biggest problem believe it or not was the boots. I finally settled on a super cheap pair off of Amazon that needed some work. They were a $23 girls boot with straps, but I didn't tell my son that.

I took off the straps and painted the boots using a tutorial for Sandtrooper and cheap Generic Jedi boots. I used sand colored fabric paint from Jo Ann's, put my hand inside and bent the boot as if a foot were in it and painted over the high spots. This left the darker boot color inside of the creases, giving it a weathered look. I think they turned out well. Can't tell they are the same boot.

Using the vast resources of knowledge we have here, I found out what the screen accurate Anakin pouches were. They are a double WW2 Italian Military Ammo pouch that I found on eBay for $20. It was cut in half, sanded and redyed brown just like Uncle George did it.

I left some of the green to give the pouches an uneven worn look.

Next I got a standard, military brass buckle for the belt. This isin't that interesting. I weathered it in a salt water vinegar bath for a day or so, then kicked it around in the driveway.

I took an old belt of mine and cut it down to size. I then scrapped it over rough concrete until it was worn down to nearly the leather's original color.

Next came the soft parts. I had previously ordered my awesome Generic Jedi stuff from AlienArms Dealer/Warp'd Costumes right here on the forums. I was so happy with it that of course I went back for the Anakin stuff. It was there first as far as I know, and it turned out just as great as my first order. The box came covered in stickers as did my first.

The costume quality was top notch to be sure. They sewed in the leg wraps for ease, and made slip on arm wraps too.

Test fits before the weathering of the garments began... I ordered a replica necklace off of eBay too. That was a whole $5...

For the weathering, I first took watered down leather dye and applied it all over paying extra attention to the seams and edges. I did this once, let it dry then did it again. After the second application I went crazy with a Dremmel. I nearly wore through the material in some spots. I hit the edges especially hard. It is hard to make out in the following pictures because of the lighting, but it looks great.

I have since tailored the leg wraps to be tighter at the top so they look more like wraps. I may hit the costume with a third weathering application but don't want to over do it either. Other than that it is basically done!

All in all it has been a fun experience putting together something not made of plastic. The unveiling of the costume will be at MotorCity ComiCon later in May.

Thanks to all those who helped put this together with advice, references or construction.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey dave.

FANTASTIC job mate! looks amazing. Congratulations.

Cant wait to see some trooping photos of the pair of you together.

Smile Smile Smile

" Another happy landing "
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great job! Ben

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Brack Daddy (Brack Lee)
Mountain Base XO
Mountain Base XO

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great!
My son wears this same costume.
We had to go the route of girls boots as well.

Here's a pic with Anakin's future wife from May the 4th at the Wings Over The Rockies museum.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice little Ani

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: