Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=2de330851ff13f40b237bf15c2f05809Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Possible B-wing Pilot Helmets...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Possible B-wing Pilot Helmets... Reply with quote

So I'm thinking of giving a try to making a few copies of my screen-accurate B-wing pilot helmets (made from the molds used in the movie). I'll probably do this the way I made my second scratch-built helmet by making a rubber mothermold, and then constructing the helmet by pouring resin in it, and layering sheets of fiberglass. At least unless I can find an easier way to do it-- which I'm hoping I can, this way is a bit time-consuming and the fiberglass sheets make my hands break out something bad... But unfortunately I don't have access to a vacuform or anything similar.

Anyway, I have a question for y'all. If I did this, would you guys rather have the helmet as it comes exactly from the movie mold without any modifications, which would mean you would have to widen the back edge and even out the top yourself? Or would you prefer that the helmet come already with the edges widened and evened, which would be more screen-accurate but would not be how the original mold was made?

In other words, would you prefer the helmet to be like this, with the thinner back top edge and where the top left edge is wider than the right, which is how the mold is made originally... Or like this where the back is widened and the top left and right sides are even, which is how it appears in the movie?

It's not that hard for me to make the modifications to it, but I was curious as to which people would prefer.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for the record, if I do make the helmets, they will not come with the chin cup. The chin cup wasn't used, as far as I can tell, for them movie helmets... and I don't have it, anyway...

I will be making the greeblies, however. I already have them made for all styles of the B-wing pilot helmets. I also have the flak vest and chestbox greeblies, but that's for a different discussion.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would prefer the screen accurate version. If you start offering B-wing helmet and chest box kits, let me know before anyone else! Just kidding ... but not really ...
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birgle38 wrote:
I would prefer the screen accurate version. If you start offering B-wing helmet and chest box kits, let me know before anyone else! Just kidding ... but not really ...

If I do, I'll probably start with the helmet, as I already have that. The chestbox will take longer because I'll have to scratch-build another first (I don't have one from the movie). But I've been planning to make another chestbox, anyway, because I want to have both styles of it... So I'll just make a mothermold of it before I paint it.

The chestbox I'm actually thinking of combining both known versions, and people can modify it to fit their needs... Such as having the square cut portion of the style with the black boxes, but also having the cut circle of the version with the red square button... Then people can just fill in the areas they don't want to make one version or the other.
At least that's what I'm thinking of doing, anyway. I wont start the chestbox until sometime this Summer, and may not start the helmets until Summer as well when I'll have a lot more free time.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I definitely don't have the time or resources to scratch build helmets and such, which is why I'm so thankful for the kit makers. I was debating getting an A-Wing bucket now that they're available, but the B-Wing is my favorite starfighter, so the prospect of a helmet kit is very exciting! Take your time, and when it's ready, you call me!
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Alex,I would prefer the screen accurate version! Put me on your list for one.Work on a pepakura B-Wing Helmet but a cast of a screen used helmet is much better.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure thing. I'll let y'all know what happens.

I think I will go ahead and fill in the areas (widen the edges) before making any mold.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex, you´re going to make many people veeeeeeery happy with this project! Very Happy

Best wishes for your efforts!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup ...screen accurate! Wink

Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger roger!

...I wonder if there's some sort of resin (or something similar) that I can pour into the rubber molds once they're made, but that will dry hard enough and solid enough that it wont need the extra support of the fiberglass sheets?
Or maybe there's some sort of fiberglass that I could kind of "blow in" or "spray in" without having to handle it so much? Like having it in small strands or fibers rather than sheets? Hmm...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Domino (Kristian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yaay!

Kristian "Domino" Goree
Wampa 9
Hoth Base
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know home depot sells fiberglass not it cloth form. It looks like a bag of fiberglass shreds. I've never used it, but it might be better for getting into all of those nooks and crannies. Combined with a plastic resin, like we see with the Fett helmets, it may work well.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Birgle38 wrote:
I know home depot sells fiberglass not it cloth form. It looks like a bag of fiberglass shreds. I've never used it, but it might be better for getting into all of those nooks and crannies. Combined with a plastic resin, like we see with the Fett helmets, it may work well.

I'll have to look into that and see.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Soraken Bolt ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried any of the Smooth-On products? They make a two part resin that you combine by volume and once cured is a hard plastic. I believe the Smooth Cast 65D can be used to slush cast helmets. I have used other Smooth -On products with good results. Their website is smooth-on.com.

Hope that helps.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soraken Bolt wrote:
Have you tried any of the Smooth-On products? They make a two part resin that you combine by volume and once cured is a hard plastic. I believe the Smooth Cast 65D can be used to slush cast helmets. I have used other Smooth -On products with good results. Their website is smooth-on.com.

Hope that helps.

No, I haven't tried any of their stuff yet. Would it dry solid enough, and sturdy enough, that it wouldn't need to be lined with fiberglass sheets (or something else) to support it?

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: