Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c7cff208e1b25148e59edfc02bcfa85bMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ewok Village Leia Build

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:16 am    Post subject: Ewok Village Leia Build Reply with quote

I need opinions.

This build is a commission by a fellow Rebel Legion member.

I haven't worked on the sleeves at all yet.

I have mocked this up in linen. I forgot to re-size the dummy before taking the photo. x.x

Images have been taken done due to theft

Last edited by Eiyame (Freya) on Fri May 23, 2014 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Maumi (Dena Maumi Curtis)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far to me the mock up is looking good.
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2013 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to work on it a bit more this weekend. I think I need to cut the main skirt a bit longer. But I'll have to review my ref images
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay SO. I kinda forgot about this thread until about a minute ago. lol oops

Before anyone says something about the color of the sleeves not being white. Hear my logic first.

1. Ewoks wouldn't have had pure white fabric at hand.
2. White linen as a contrast to the light brown moleskin is ugly.
3. White is hard on the camera and the eye, with it being such a harsh contrast it draws the eye to the sleeves of the dress instead of letting your eye wander to take in all the details.
4. White is hard to keep clean.

Those are the 4 main reasons why I used a lovely soft ivory linen for the sleeves instead of white.

PLEASE DO NOT RE-POST THESE IMAGES WITHOUT PERMISSION.[/b]

Last edited by Eiyame (Freya) on Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, first of all...are you making this for the RL person because they want RL approval? Your line of logic is fine for just a costume, but if you're trying for RL approval, the standards are what you should base the costume on:

Required Items:

Tan suede or suedecloth A-line dress reaching to the shins with a multi-length, multi-paneled skirt and princess seams. Short sleeved with a V-neck decorated with matching thin suede lacing crisscrossing down the lower half of the V-neck and tied. Matching thin suede lacing in crosses on the princess seams following along the whole length of the seam (to the waist) and the armhole seams. No grommets.
Tan suede or suedecloth sash tied around the waist and dangling down the middle.
White long sleeves of a natural-looking but crisp fabric and thin dark brown, charcoal gray or black suede or suede-like lace tied at the wrists. Long sleeves can be attached to the upper short sleeve of the dress but must be under the finished edge of the short sleeve with no visible stitching.
Flat tailored tan sandals (multi-strap or multi-lacing sandal styles preferred).
Long wavy hair (achieved on your own, or by extensions or a wig), pulled back off the face with a long braid that has thin tan suede lacing crossed around the braid. Naturally-occurring hair color only; no bangs.

Just a heads up. I don't want your client to get rejected because you didn't like the way white sleeves look.

Wink
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to come of like female puppeh!! or anything but I know what the standards are and I have read over them enough that I have them memorized and I also have looked at 90% of the Ewok Dress that are in the data base. Not all of them have 100% pure snow white sleeves, there are a few of them that are off white.

Ivory is a shade of white. They didn't stay it had to be 100% pure white, if they wanted 100% pure white sleeves they need to be more specific in their costume standards.

And if you reference this image: http://www.rebelshaven.com/SWFFAQ/images/ewok/screen08.jpg

Her sleeves look like they are off white.

And honestly because of the lighting in my sewing room the sleeves look WAY more yellow than they really are in the daylight.

Last edited by Eiyame (Freya) on Fri May 23, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiyame wrote:
Not to come of like mother-in-law or anything but I know what the standards are and I have read over them enough that I have them memorized and I also have looked at 90% of the Ewok Dress that are in the data base. Not all of them have 100% pure snow white sleeves, there are a few of them that are off white.
Ivory is a shade of white.

Ivory (depending on what your perception of color is) should be a more 'yellowish' white, bordering to beige. It's definitely not 'white`'.
However, there are a gazillion shades of 'white'. I do agree that Ewoks wouldn't have access to 'optical white' fabric (which is actually not just bleached but *dyed white*, and some of those dyes are SO optical white that they almost glow in the dark). However, from the pictures of the original costume, the sleeves seem to be a considerably 'bright' white; but bordering to grayish opposed to yellowish.
If you look at this picture:

you can see that color very well.

Having shown that picture, I have to say that I'm not exactly impressed with your 'drawstring tunnel solution' for the sleeves - compare your sleeves to the picture above:

- see the difference? That's NOT a drawstring / tunnel on Leia's sleeves. It's a considerably short string of grey leather, going through holes on the pintucks of the sleeves.
So maybe that's something you want to improve.
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naergi wrote:
- see the difference? That's NOT a drawstring / tunnel on Leia's sleeves. It's a considerably short string of grey leather, going through holes on the pintucks of the sleeves.

It's worth noting that it's not written that way in the standards, so that's not something that should need to be changed, as it is indeed a "suede or suede like lace tied at the wrists." If the LCJs want the standard to be different, the words need to be changed to be more specific. Though, on the grand scale of things, I don't see that the drawstring-tunnel method detracts from the overall costume. But those are just my two cents.

I think the costume looks great so far- excellent work!

Sew Corellian
KJO DCO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
corellianfive ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

both are arguments are right actually.

We do need to balance between making accurate RL costume and becoming costume Nazis as is so often the term used.

Let me explain,

We cannot list every part of a costume, we simply cannot & then do you measure everything too ? Where do you draw the line ? I don't think we should need to have things laid out in such detail, there is a certain level of research that needs to be done by the applicant when making a costume.

However............

If it looks genuinely right then it should pass. We need to find that balance & that is where it gets tricky.

Judges do have the ability to interpret whether something is close enough to what it should look like or not, but they should do it with an open mind as to "is this an easy fix and would make the costume look a lot better"? or would the whole thing need to be binned & start again for something minor anyway.

For the record- the sleeves are fine in the "white"you used, it is clearly white in nature Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Naergi wrote:

It's worth noting that it's not written that way in the standards, so that's not something that should need to be changed, as it is indeed a "suede or suede like lace tied at the wrists." If the LCJs want the standard to be different, the words need to be changed to be more specific. Though, on the grand scale of things, I don't see that the drawstring-tunnel method detracts from the overall costume. But those are just my two cents.

I think the costume looks great so far- excellent work!

_Master_Skywalker_ wrote:
both are arguments are right actually.

We do need to balance between making accurate RL costume and becoming costume Nazis as is so often the term used.

Let me explain,

We cannot list every part of a costume, we simply cannot & then do you measure everything too ? Where do you draw the line ? I don't think we should need to have things laid out in such detail, there is a certain level of research that needs to be done by the applicant when making a costume.

However............

If it looks genuinely right then it should pass. We need to find that balance & that is where it gets tricky.

Judges do have the ability to interpret whether something is close enough to what it should look like or not, but they should do it with an open mind as to "is this an easy fix and would make the costume look a lot better"? or would the whole thing need to be binned & start again for something minor anyway.

For the record- the sleeves are fine in the "white"you used, it is clearly white in nature Wink

Thank you guys for your support. I'm going to send the costume as is. And if the LCJ's want to be a pain about it, I'll have my client send the dress back and I'll redo the sleeves for free. Smile
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JediDWH wrote:
Naergi wrote:

It's worth noting that it's not written that way in the standards, so that's not something that should need to be changed, as it is indeed a "suede or suede like lace tied at the wrists."

You are correct - the type of wrist closure is not mentioned in the standards. But please re-read my posting. In no way, shape or form did I say that this was required for formal approval; I just hinted that it may be something that could be improved, since Eiyame asked for opinions; so I added my opinion.
Since she was so picky about the sleeve color ('Ewoks wouldn't have access to pure white'), I thought she may be picky about the sleeve closure as well and may have missed how the original sleeve is tied up, so I pointed it out.
It's not a difficult closure to make and - with the pintucks that runs down the sleeve to make that kind of closure possible - looks way more interesting than just a drawstring tunnel. But again, that is just my opinion, not a must-have, according to standards.
I know I can be obsessed about details; but then again, isn't it those tiny details that make a costume stand out? Smile
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The standards are just that... standard. The standards are a great way to assist people in making a formal costume, but only are the beggining of what it is we should be doing as costumers. The RL goal is to improve our costumes to movie quality grade.

If there is information out there that can be given to a new costumer to make their costume closer to movie accuracy then that is the information we should give... not just what is in standards.

Far too often we settle for minimum standards when making the costume right is just as easy if not easier... as the leather strap on the wrist shows. Making a channel would be harder for some tbh... then to do it like it is in the movie.

Information is power.... let share what we know!

My 2 cents...

Bob
JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I'm all about accuracy and spreading information, but there's encouraging accuracy, and saying, "I don't like the way you did this." It's off-putting and rude. There are ways to say the exact same thing without sounding so discouraging. And as a royalty LCJ, you have to be especially careful about the tone of your comments, because someone could easily interpret what you said as "I probably wouldn't approve this."

That's where my problem lies. There's a long way between "Hey, have you seen this photo of the wrist closures?" and "I'm not a fan of the way you did this."

Sew Corellian
KJO DCO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Naergi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If there is information out there that can be given to a new costumer to make their costume closer to movie accuracy then that is the information we should give... not just what is in standards.

Thank you. That is exactly my opinion as well. But this is just my opinion for MYSELF, no one needs to adopt it.

JediDWH wrote:
See, I'm all about accuracy and spreading information, but there's encouraging accuracy, and saying, "I don't like the way you did this." It's off-putting and rude. There are ways to say the exact same thing without sounding so discouraging. And as a royalty LCJ, you have to be especially careful about the tone of your comments, because someone could easily interpret what you said as "I probably wouldn't approve this."

See how that interpretation differs from your first reply to my posting?
So... you interpreted something into my posting that wasn't there (namely, my opinion as a judge - and you should know me by now, if I want to say that a costume probably won't be approved because of certain details, I won't sugarcoat it...), and in return expected me to do the same with your posting (namely that my wording might have been bad)?

Quote:
That's where my problem lies. There's a long way between "Hey, have you seen this photo of the wrist closures?" and "I'm not a fan of the way you did this."

"I'm not a fan of the way you do this" just says that it would not be my own, personally preferred way of making it.
It's not even indicating that "it can't be done this way" or "you can't do it like that" - that's just something you, again, interpret into my posting - however it definitely IS saying "I would not do it like this".
That, however, is not a bad thing; every person has their own methods and standards of working and that is perfectly okay.

Same for methods and standards of replying to posts. I always try and get straight to the point, without packing my words in fluffy other words before doing so.

Some find that "off-putting"... I call it "time-saving":
My time to write and your time to read those extra fluffy words is being saved.
I seriously, seriously hope that others treat me exactly the same way - get to the point soon and clearly point out if something is very right or very wrong about one of the costumes I create, because such input actually helps me to improve them (or be proud of what I created).

But this is getting WAY off topic now because it deals with something that has nothing to do with an Ewok Village Leia building thread. Again, just my opinion Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: