About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=47dfad9147e2d272b57c96457a8f01aeMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Looking for Jedi costume advice
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Obi-Wan Kenobi 91 (James Cooke)

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Looking for Jedi costume advice Reply with quote

Hello, I'm looking for help with my jedi costume. I want to do an Episode II Obi-Wan, but am willing to be a generic jedi if my costume doesn't meet the standards. I have bought most parts already, I just need more food capsules, a lightsaber, another strap for the boots and maybe new pouches. Here is what I have already:

Full costume (without robes)

Tunic

Tabbards

Trousers

Belt and parts

Boots

Robe
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, first of all, when taking pictures make sure everything's straightened and ironed.

Second of all, I would personally aim for a Generic Jedi.
The Costumebase outfit, while an acceptable base for a Gen Jedi,
would require a lot of modification to be accepted as Obi-Wan.

And lastly, I would make sure you simply meet the formal requirements.
The robe might not be 'full' enough to qualify as one though...
KA-513 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I wouldn't use the shoe spats. They look a bit wonky. Secondly, since you have the undertunic, pouches, and food caps, you don't necessarily need the robe for formal status.

Definitely iron your costume before you take your photos for submission, as well as any troops. Other than that, it looks good to me.

They came to fight for glory in the thousands.
Young men with their dreams.
They died before the guns in the hundreds.
A book of faded pictures, broken dreams.
Where are they now? The broken heroes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Suzijedi (Suzanne Stelling)
Base Command Liaison

Medals: 7 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi James and welcome to Rebel Legion. I've noticed your location and some of our guys are appearing at Intech Science Centre & Planetarium in Winchester on Sunday. If that's near to you and you fancy meeting them I'm sure they'll be happy to have a chat with you about your costume and RL. Very Happy
Rebel Legion UK
501st UK Garrison
This bounty hunter is my kind of scum....fearless and inventive.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello James,

Like Jermain said, the costumebase costumes are rarely acceptable for face characters without modification (and sometimes a LOT of modifications). I think your costume would be good for Generic Jedi. You can upgrade to OWK Ep. II (ATOC) in the future when you’re able.

I’m not trying to be mean, but would like to give you a quick and dirty breakdown (and off the top of my head…meaning there may be other things to consider) for why this costume won’t pass for OWK Ep.II:
(And…I’m wondering if you meant OWK Ep. III (ROTS) since some of your costume components are more appropriate for ROTS rather than ATOC?)

1. The Outer tunic isn’t bad, though the sleeves appear to long and would need hemmed.
2. Your Inner tunic is dark brown. The OWK ATOC inner tunic is a light beige.
3. The Tabards aren’t bad, but there’s an obvious stitch running around the border that would not be allowed.
4. The Obi isn’t bad either, but again, there’s that border stitch that shouldn’t be there.
5. You pants are the mustard khakis. The OWK ATOC is more beige than mustard. The pants you have are more correct for the OWK ROTS (or Ep. III).
6. You belt is fine, but I would recommend fixing is so that the Velcro on the back isn’t visible.
7. Covertec is okay.
8. You’re short four food capsules. The costume standards call for eight, and you only have four. The capsules you have look okay, though.
9, 10, 11. You have two pouches, and they are not screen accurate. You would need the three (small, tall and wide (all) ribbed resin boxes).
12. Your pictures don’t show a lightsaber. You’ll need one, of course Wink
13. Once you have the right belt components, they need to be in the correct order.
14. The spats on the front of the boots is not screen accurate. The color of the boots are okay. And, the three straps you have are in the wrong position.
15. Your hair isn’t styled like OWK and you don’t have a beard.

Finally, your robe is not screen accurate. It’s not full enough (both the hood and sleeves), the sleeves are too long and there are no shoulder tucks.

So…with ALL of that said, I’d really recommend you iron and straighten your costume and apply for Generic Jedi…without the robe (as the robe would not be allowed as one of the three optional for formal status. BUT…you’ve got an inner tunic, two pouches and four food capsules, so….you’re good for approval without the robe!!!).

Present some good pictures (high resolution with good lighting), iron that costume and make sure everything looks proper and….I assure you…you’ll be approved Wink

Hope this helps,

Roger

PS (You can wear your robe when you troop, just be sure to hem the sleeves to fit you better. Just don't bother applying with it, because the LCJs won't use it for the judging.)

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all I like to thank everyone who gave me the advice secondly I jest what to let everyone know that I knew it needed ironing and that I will do that thirdly Roger can you give me any more advice on how I can sort my costume out with out start from scratch so like add stuff or on taking stuff away so I can be obi wan now I don't mind being obi wan from episode 3 fourthly I will style my hair and grow the beard I was planning on that but I wanted to sort my costume out and I am ordering my lightsaber from UltraSabers.com next week but other than that thought that was not mean and it was not so much of a dirty breakdown it was good advice jest need a little more advice like I said at the top of this message after all we are jedi so once again thank hope to hear from you soon and hope to see you as a Generic Jedi at the star wars celebration Europe 2 in Essen and may the force be with us all

James
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

First...go generic! You can do that now. The only thing I'd recommend is hem the sleeves of your outer tunic to a better length.

Then...I think this costume would be much easier to upgrade to OWK ROTS than for Ep. II. I'll PM you some thoughts on this. If you don't hear from me soon...remind me.

Rog

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

roger are you going to the star wars celebration Europe 2 in essen
sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you install shoulder tucks in the tunic then this will shorten the sleeves.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:51 am    Post subject: working on my costume and lightsaber Reply with quote

first of all how short should I make the tunic with the shoulder tucks and secondly Roger I am getting my lightsaber from ultra sabers could I get away with buying a type of designed lightsaber for become obi-wan Kenobi in episode 3 or would I have to get the same style lightsaber has obi wan has in episode 3 if you all someone else could let me know about my lightsaber as I what to get it this week.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although not wholly screen accurate (the brass/copper section is too thick, because of the installed blade), it is acceptable for a formal Obi-wan Kenobi:

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/16827155015256046565?q=obiwan%20kenobi%20lightsaber&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_cp.r_qf.&bvm=bv.45512109,d.eWU&biw=1311&bih=986&sa=X&ei=AuRzUbXWF4rm9ASajIDoBA&ved=0CGoQ8wIwAQ

And...it's not terribly expensive.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: costume and lightsabers Reply with quote

if I am can get in as obi wan with this lightsaber that would be great but if not i jest go in as a generic Jedi instead http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/sound-guardian.htm also I would like to do some lightsaber fighting at the star wars celebration Europe 2 in Germany if someone could help me arrange it
SithariRog (Roger Allen)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: costume and lightsabers Reply with quote

Obi-Wan Kenobi 91 wrote:
if I am can get in as obi wan with this lightsaber that would be great but if not i jest go in as a generic Jedi instead http://www.ultrasabers.com/product-p/sound-guardian.htm also I would like to do some lightsaber fighting at the star wars celebration Europe 2 in Germany if someone could help me arrange it

That lightsaber is OWK, Ep. I and II, but not for Eps III or IV.
(Edited from original statement where it said Ep I and II were not the same)

Regarding lightsaber fighting...two things to consider:

1. Lightsabers break, even the stunt ones, though they hold up better.

and

more importantly...

2. The Rebel Legion generally does not support lightsaber fighting. Why? Because of liability issues...we don't want to be responsible for someone getting hurt or for property damage that might occur.

Can you lightsaber dual with your friends? Of course! But I would advise against it if you are representing the Rebel Legion.

Last edited by SithariRog (Roger Allen) on Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Lightsabers Reply with quote

First of all in regards of obi-wan Kenobi's lightsaber I will go as a generic secondly is there any way I could a range some thing with duelling I know now rebel legion does not do duelling but if there was a way I could do it I would like to do that because I have done a lot or preparation in lightsaber training and I jest don't what to waste the time and effort that I put in to do it and can I use my boots that I have got and jest modify them obi wan from episode 3 or would I have to get a new pair of boots.
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rog what are you saying? If the saber is OWK's EP1 ( and would be approved for that costume ) but would NOT be approved for EP2, what is the difference between Obi Wan's saber from Ep1 and Ep2 ? I thought they were one and the same - identical saber ???

" Another happy landing "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: