About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e362c5e36a394e607db606fc3c1f775dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Tatooine Pod Racing Anakin Footwear Question
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker
View previous topic :: View next topic  
n0c00lgamertag (David Sage)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:42 am    Post subject: Tatooine Pod Racing Anakin Footwear Question Reply with quote

I am currently in the process of putting together a slave Anakin costume for my son to wear with me on troops. I'm having all of the soft parts made and I am gathering the rest myself. The only thing I could not find a reference for was the boots and/or shoes. I have screen accurate parts coming for most of the costume, but I don't know what to do for boots. In some pictures his boots almost look like Uggs, but I'm thinking that may be too hot for trooping in summer months. Has anyone done an Anakin costume that can point me in the right direction of some reasonably screen accurate, but not too hot footwear? I have one lead so far but was looking for other suggestions.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David.

My son Jesse was the young Anakin used by LFL at the world premier EP1 3D.

I made all of his costume so might be able to assist. Take a look at the pic below ( this was at a recent troop ) if that is the sort of thing you had in mind, let me know and I will take you through the build of the footwear.

Regards,

Shay.

" Another happy landing "
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some have used ugg boots if it helps

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
Hi David.

My son Jesse was the young Anakin used by LFL at the world premier EP1 3D.

I made all of his costume so might be able to assist. Take a look at the pic below ( this was at a recent troop ) if that is the sort of thing you had in mind, let me know and I will take you through the build of the footwear.

Regards,

Shay.

That is what I was looking for thanks. Any help would be appreciated since it is the last component I need...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave..

The way I made them is a smaller boot ( for the shoe part ) and a “pull on “ type section from the ankle to just below the knee with all the wrapping. If you take a look at any of the reference shots, this is definitely how it was done in the movie as well.

My son has had a couple of different boots now ( little boys grow fast Smile ) but I started looking in Target or your Walmart for any kind of “earthy” coloured suede type boot. You are only going to find them in the girls section ( don’t tell your son Wink ) or young ladies section. They may have bling or straps or frills that are usually quite easy to remove leaving a short plain boot. You should also look for a very flat sole option staying true to the movie. Then take some sand paper and rough up the areas that would normal take a beating living out there on Tatooine.

I thought about just wrapping the legs with the material but realised that this wouldn’t give the same look as the screen item and secondly, can you imagine asking your son to stand still before every gig while you spend 15 mins wrapping carefully to try to get a consistent look, only to have them come undone half way through the troop? Laughing
I wanted something that would look the same every time and could be pulled on and off.

I took a piece of high density foam about a centimetre or so thick and measured one end to fit around his ankle the other around is calf then cut it out. You will have an odd shaped piece of foam. I then thought about gluing the edges together to form the “ cylinder” but it would never have held. I put the entire piece of foam into a cotton case ( just sew like a pillow case ) and sewed all around the edge. The cotton “case' was only just slightly bigger than the foam except for about a centimetre extra at the ends that would ultimately join up. Then sew those ends together thus joining either end of the foam to form the cylinder shape. Now turn the whole thing inside out so the cross section now looks more circular then “ teardrop”. Pretty much hard bit done. Now get some samples of material that tie the colours of the boots and tunic together and hand tear into strips. ( I just found hand tearing gave nice frayed edges and looked more authentic then cutting with scissors.) Place the “leggin” over a piece of pipe or something to keep it still and “expanded” then with some material glue, just start wrapping and gluing a layer at a time. Leave it all to dry well ( a day ) and there you have it

You will now have something that looks solid and consistent on the outside but the inside will still be comfortable for your son as the foam will give just enough.

As far as the heat issue goes, Jess always wears a super thin sock and I think the area from your ankle to calf is not really that prone to overheating. It will be warmer than just shoes but nothing like Uggs or fur boots. He is dressed as a Star Wars character he will be having too much fun to think about his feet . Laughing Laughing Laughing

The hardest thing with this build is just making sure you have the size right. If too big, they will slip on easily but look too chunky and wide possibly “flopping” around his shins as he moves. Too small and you have trouble getting them on and it will add to the heat issue if too snug.

Overall a fun exercise however for Dad and son to make this part of the costume. Hope all of that makes sense Dave and has helped. Let me know if you have any other questions. If you are interested in more ref photos and a funny lttle story about the rise of Young Anakin Skywalker, visit our forum ( Thython - last base on the list ) and there is a "sticky" titled Galactic Academy. Ihe second post has proved quite entertaining. Smile

Kind regards,

Shay.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time to explain how you did that. I wouldn't have thought to make a fake boot/shoe combo, even though that is how the lower leg of my TK is. I was thinking I was going to have to find a smooth boot and cover it with faux suede. Your way seems far easier and much more practical. Off to find the shoes. Thanks again!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found these. Would this work for the base shoe???

http://www.payless.com/store/product/detail.jsp?catId=&subCatId=&skuId=098921110&productId=70864&lotId=098921&category=&catdisplayName=Boys
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey David.

Yes and no. Of course it would actually work but I think the very chunky black sole would give an inaccurate appearance and the low cut ankle would reveal your sons sock if the " leggin" rides up or isn't pulled down far enough. The beauty of having a boot is that, even if the covering rides up or your son squats down, it still looks right.

I am away from home at the moment but later today I will take photos of just the boots I used and post pictures

Shay..

Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi David,

Just took some pictures of the boots for you..

This was the first boot my son had. Originally this had a couple strands of jewel type beads and suede straps that were easily removed with razor knife ( stanley knife )

These are the new ones since his foot keeps growing so fast. I couldnt find the original so went with these. The sole isnt quite as flat but is still very low. The overall colour is better than the first. These also had some sort of adornment / straps that were easily removed. They were also about knee high. You dont want that interference with the ' leggins" so I just went up about 6 or 7 inches ( just above a cross seam ) and with a sharp pair of scissors, cut the whole boot off.

Here are a couple of shots I took of the "leggins" for you to help visualise what I had written before...

Dave if you have trouble locating anything close, and like the second pair above, I would be happy to see if the store here in Australia has your son's size. I will be in the US early next week so could post them to you from there if its the way you want to go.

Anyway, all the best with finishing your Son's costume, we need more Anakins Smile Smile

Hope this has helped.

Regards,

Shay.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does help very much, and thanks for be offer to check there. Now that I have a better idea I can go scouting for a pair but will certainly let you know if I come up empty handed. Thanks again for the photos and guides. Will certainly help. He is very excited to be able to come along on some events!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after what seemed like hours of searching the web, I came across these and thought they would work well so I went ahead and ordered them.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00529Q54O/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will have to take off the buckles and rough them up a bit. Should look good with the rest when done. Thanks again.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the hours we spend looking for bits of kit Laughing

You have done a great job Dave, it will look fantastic! Very Happy

Its a wonderful thing to do this for your son. The younglings are who are important Wink . I look forward to photos of the two of you trooping together soon.

All the best,

Shay.

JedHead (Matt Tolosa)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if you have this, but here's a close-up of the real boot for reference.

http://www.endorbase.org/
https://www.facebook.com/#!/jedhead1

In Loving Memory of Chanel Vanecek, aka "Padme_Skywalkr" (Feb. 7, 1980 - Oct. 25, 2003) xoxo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thx. The boot I have coming looks similar, although the color seems a bit off. I think I can work it over though...
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a great photo Matt, where did it come from?

The leg wraps look really dishevelled though ??? Interesting shot.

This is the one I worked from where the wraps werent so "used".

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Anakin Skywalker All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: