About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=5d36f6c3f67f46c4a619f21c3834d2f9Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Rogue9607's Jawa WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:44 am    Post subject: Rogue9607's Jawa WIP Reply with quote

So after clearing a couple of projects off my plate, it's now time to start work on a Jawa for my mother-in-law. As I've been researching, I've come across a lot of different information that doesn't always reconcile, so I figured I'd log my progress in the hopes that anyone with more information might point me in the right direction, or that it may help someone else down the road.

I picked up the monk's cloth today (after visiting four different stores - long story) with a 50% off coupon for Joann. I'd read that I should expect shrinkage of 10-20%, so I erred on the safe side and got 7 yards, which should be more than enough but not overkill (I hope). Originally I'd hoped to get the robe out of one solid piece since my mother-in-law is only 4'11", but didn't think that'd work once the fabric shrinks.

I stitched the cut ends and set it to wash and dry. Before, it measured exactly 60". After, it measured 53", so just above 10%. I forgot to measure how much it shrank in length, but will try to look at that tomorrow. Would a second wash/dry help eliminate any more shrinkage, or does most of it come out the first time around?

Here're before and after pics of the fabric:

I've ordered the eyes and the bandolier, but still need to find the vending machine containers. I'll pick up the mask at Joann tomorrow along with some muslin to do a mock up.

I picked up the dye at WalMart and saw some boots that could work, but I'll leave the boots and gloves to her.

Thanks for looking!

Last edited by rogue9607 (Nick) on Thu May 02, 2013 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want her to be able to wash it once it's been made into the costume, then you should run the fabric through again.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amalphiea wrote:
If you want her to be able to wash it once it's been made into the costume, then you should run the fabric through again.

I'll put it through again then since I'd hate to have fit issues down the road. Thank you!
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rogue9607's Jawa WIP Reply with quote

rogue9607 wrote:

I've ordered the eyes and the bandolier, but still need to find the vending machine containers. I'll pick up the mask at Joann tomorrow along with some muslin to do a mock up.

If you're having trouble finding the capsules, I should still have some left from my build. You can pick them up at the next troop if you like. I know there are several local ones later this month.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Rogue9607's Jawa WIP Reply with quote

miralys51 wrote:
If you're having trouble finding the capsules, I should still have some left from my build. You can pick them up at the next troop if you like. I know there are several local ones later this month.

Ah, thank you! I may take you up on that if I haven't found them. Do you remember any places around here that had the machines still? I've just been looking whenever I go into stores.
miralys51 (Jackie)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Rebels 4 Japan (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was never able to find any locally that were small enough. The few stores I found that have the machines have the larger size.

In a fit of Jawa-like impatience I ended up ordering them online. They came in a package of 50 sets, so I have a few extras Laughing
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miralys51 wrote:
In a fit of Jawa-like impatience I ended up ordering them online. They came in a package of 50 sets, so I have a few extras Laughing

Hehe, that sounds like something I would do! Any idea what troop you're doing next? It may be delusional, but I'd like to get the costume made this weekend and hopefully get her pics submitted next week.

I did get the fabric run through another wash/dry last night. Before that, I measured the length and I'd gone from 7+ yards to 6 1/3 yards. After the wash, the width was 52 1/2" and I may have lost 2" in length (or my measurement wasn't consistent), so I'm hoping it's stable now.

I keep bouncing back and forth between dying then sewing, or sewing and then dying, realizing I'd need thread that took the dye for the second option. Any thoughts?

Also, where should the sleeves and bottom of the robe come to? I'm thinking to have the sleeves come to almost the end of her hand with arms hanging down, and the bottom just above the ground. Does that sound right?

Thanks!
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any pictures for the update, but I did get the muslin mock-up made tonight. Certainly doesn't look right on me, but I'm also nowhere near the right size for a Jawa. Smile

The bandolier should be here tomorrow, so I can start the weathering on that, and get the fabric dyed. Hopefully tomorrow night, or Sunday, I can do a test fit of the mock-up, make any adjustments, and get the final robe made!
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a pleasant surprise at lunch today. Went into a Chinese takeout place to pickup my food and I saw several vending machines with little capsules. I have eyes! Very Happy
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woo Hoo!!
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I dyed the fabric today. The good news is that I got a nice, consistent color. The bad news is that it's not exactly the color I'd wanted. I definitely got a brown, I was just hoping for more of a rusty-brown.

At least on my monitor, this picture is pretty accurate, though a bit dark:

I'm thinking it'll still work... any thoughts? Is it possible to dye again with orange (or another color) to shift the color a bit, or is it pretty much set?

Last edited by rogue9607 (Nick) on Thu May 02, 2013 2:49 pm; edited 2 times in total
Amalphiea ()
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can try running it through the wash again.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion PR Team

rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2013 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran it though three rinse cycles and then a full wash cycle already. I suppose I could try one more.
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got a fair amount done this weekend. I tried another wash, but that didn't seem to have any effect on the color. For reference, the first dye was 2.5 bottles of dark brown and 1.5 bottles of sunshine orange.

After doing a test, I ran the fabric through a wash with 3 packs of Rit color remover which worked pretty well.

I ran it through another wash with half a bottle of sunshine orange and one box of cocoa brown.

That got me closer, but still too light. One more wash with half a bottle of dark brown finally got me to a color I was happy with!

While I was working on this, my wife was weathering the bandolier. I think she did a great job!

I also got a start on the ion blaster with a 2" thick block of white oak that was scrap from another project.

This evening we were able to get a fitting in and the mock-up looked great. Tomorrow I'll start cutting/sewing the monk's cloth!

Last edited by rogue9607 (Nick) on Thu May 02, 2013 2:53 pm; edited 2 times in total
rogue9607 (Nick)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope to make some progress tonight on the fabric part of the costume, but I was able to spare a few minutes to tinker with the blaster. This piece is strangely appealing to me and I've been having fun with it so far. I put a pin through the dovetail (yeah, it's pretty rough since it should be covered) and got some rough shaping done.

How accurate would an ion blaster need to be to troop with? I've seen pictures of blasters based on pirate guns, so I'm guessing it doesn't have to be a perfect replica (more in the spirit of what a Jawa could scavenge/cobble together).

Last edited by rogue9607 (Nick) on Thu May 02, 2013 2:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Supporters All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: