Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=ff26c821e3cd86fad5c12ce045bef1efMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Amidala red invasion gown...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:12 pm    Post subject: Amidala red invasion gown... Reply with quote

Hi Guys.

Could I please ask your advice on something as I am totally out of my depth on this.

My partner Jacqui recently helped out with a charity event for children in an Amidala costume that she has. The kids loved it and she was asked if she would consider joining the RL as Amidala.

I had a read of the costume standards and the first sentence talks about " matte red colour" Well the costume is of the silk like material asked for, but it has a little sheen to it when photographed with a flash.

Would this slight sheen under flash prevent the costume ever receiving approval?

If the Amidala gurus could take a look at the picture below and pass on an opinion, it would certainly be appreciated Smile Thanks so much,

Shay.

" Another happy landing "
Naergi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 2:07 am    Post subject: Re: Amidala red invasion gown... Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
Would this slight sheen under flash prevent the costume ever receiving approval?

Probably not if she would apply using photos that were taken without a flash Wink

There are however some other issues, which I would like to address:

- from the photo I cannot see if she has the "triple sleeves". She definitely does have the large outer trumpet sleeve, but what about the wide middle sleeve and the very narrow inner sleeve?

- From the photo I cannot see if the skirt (and conclusively the hoopskirt beneath it) is trumpet shaped. It looks as if it was A-shaped. But that (maybe wrong) impression can be solved with better pics in which the skirt doesn't bend against another person Wink

- the golden embroideries look very nice; but they're a bit small and the tabard they're sewn to is too short. Said tabard should end between the end of the outer sleeves and the skirt hem.

- The headdress looks very nice and proportional. Most headdresses are not proportional (with most of those being too large); so that's a very good thing. Would love to see closeup pictures to see if all the filigree work is there.

- the eggs (which I personally call "maribugs" because that's what they actually resemble much more than eggs on the original gown) on the skirt would probably need work. In the photo they look yellow and orange, while they should be "golden" yellow and brown / black. Do they light up?

- Last not least, the fur on the gown looks black. That can be an issue of the photo; but it should be brown.

All those issues (if I see the "can't see that from the photo" stuff as issues too) seen as *single* issues on *several* gowns would probably not be so much of a problem; but all together on a single gown I would see as a problem for formal approval.

Don't get me wrong. It's a really nice costume (particularly the headdress!) and extremely recognizable; but it will probably need a bit of improvement work to be able to pass as a formal costume.

We would need to see better pictures (best taken by daylight without a flash) to be able to really give advice on what should be improved. But as far as I can tell, the sheen of the fabric would not be a showstopper.

Hope that helps Smile
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Naergi.

You have been a wonderful help, thank you so much. Smile

You, better then most, would appreciate that a truely accurate costume ( especially an Amidala gown ) is a real work of art and can take months and many hundreds of hours to create.

This costume, while very identifiable as what it is, was never created with such accuracy in mind and without the intention of passing the formal costume standards of the Legion.

I think your assessment is a very good one. Smile Initially, after reading your comments I thought we might just have too much work to get this one over the line and should let it go. But then I thought about what would have to change.

The fur isn’t black but a dark brownish ( looks a little more like its actual colour just near Anakin’s boot ) but perhaps not the brown that was envisaged for the accurate costume. I think it would be fairly easy to replace the trim with a more reddish brown fur though ?

The sleeves do have the triple layer already. The embroidery however, would be a lot harder to correct if it is too short. I had a close look at some other Amidalas and some reference pics and whilst you are right with your assessment, I think the sleeves are actually a bit too long, accentuating the length issue, again, fixable ?

If the shape is a bit more A then trumpet, could taking the garment in correct this?

The colour of the orbs is clearly wrong but I think that could be easily fixed with a repaint.The orbs did light up initially but I didn’t like the set up and removed it planning a better system down the track.
Initially it was small lights fed through the inside of the dress into the orbs ( like little fairy lights ). There was a battery pack powering 2 of the orbs, so 3 packs in total. They were quite heavy and were pinned to the inside of the dress, pulling it down in 3 places. I thought there must be a better way.

I am glad you like the headress. We recently had it modified to fit better so Jacqui could wear it with confidence to the charity event. Having said that, Im sure that its construction was only intended to be representative of Amidalas costume and not screen identical. How exact does the headress have to be for approval?

I guess almost all of the above points you have highlighted are do able, without starting from scratch but could I ask you two last questions? Remember I am just a guy that has no sewing experience so please forgive me if they are obvious to most Wink but 1) the corded embroidery of the shoulder saddle, is that a material that can be purchased or is it something that has to be created? ( Our costume has a cord pattern as such stitched onto the material but certainly no where near as intensely as Amidalas. I have seen some costumes that don’t have this feature at all – just red smooth material. Is it required? )
And 2) what do yourself or others doing the invasion gown use to light the orbs around the dress? Is there a standard / common idea for the setup or all individual setups and solutions?

Sorry for the " war and peace " response but you have already been very helpful and I certainly appreciate your time. Thank you again.
I would love to have this costume approved as formal and arent quite ready to relegate it to the bottom of the cupboard Smile

Kind regards,

Shay

Naergi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
You, better then most, would appreciate that a truely accurate costume ( especially an Amidala gown ) is a real work of art and can take months and many hundreds of hours to create.

I'll take that as a compliment, so thank you Wink

Quote:
The fur isn’t black but a dark brownish ( looks a little more like its actual colour just near Anakin’s boot ) but perhaps not the brown that was envisaged for the accurate costume. I think it would be fairly easy to replace the trim with a more reddish brown fur though ?

As long as it's 'brown' it will probably be okay. As I said, it's difficult to see in the photo. That's why it's best to always use photos that were taken outside in daylight (particularly for applications!), because the colors will show best in those.

Quote:
The embroidery however, would be a lot harder to correct if it is too short. I had a close look at some other Amidalas and some reference pics and whilst you are right with your assessment, I think the sleeves are actually a bit too long, accentuating the length issue, again, fixable ?

I've quickly photoshopped something for you:

As you can see, the heads and skirt hems line up. See how the tabard on the original gown is quite a bit longer?

Quote:
If the shape is a bit more A then trumpet, could taking the garment in correct this?

Why yes, if the skirt is long enough. If the sewn together panels of the dress are changed from an A-to a trumpet shape, that could be solved.
Personally I would start by constructing a trumpet shaped hoopskirt, though - that is much more difficult than changing the shape of the already existing dress.

Quote:
How exact does the headress have to be for approval?

That is always a tough question. It should not look 'halloween'. It should really be "pretty". It's difficult to say where the line between 'approvable' and 'will be denied' is. Personally I think that the headdress in the photo looks pretty good, but of course I would love to see a closeup.

Quote:
1) the corded embroidery of the shoulder saddle, is that a material that can be purchased or is it something that has to be created?

I have just once in my life (and that wasn't recently!) seen such a fabric available 'off the bolt'. Keep in mind that I've been scavenging fabrics for over 35 years; so that should tell you something about the availability of that kind of fabric... Wink
But it's pretty simple to make - all you need is the outer red fabric, some quilt wadding and a more sturdy fabric beneath that; and then you can stitch the cording on top of those three layers. If you have a pearl- or cording foot, you can even do it by machine Wink

Quote:
( Our costume has a cord pattern as such stitched onto the material but certainly no where near as intensely as Amidalas. I have seen some costumes that don’t have this feature at all – just red smooth material. Is it required? )

According to the standards (which can be found here), yes:
"Over yoke of a matte red silk or silk-like fabric sculpted over the shoulders with a tall notched collar and an appliqué of fine satin rope twist cord in a vermicelli design and a short pointed tabard reaching just below the bust embroidered or finely painted in a long gold ornate motif and trimmed in brown fur. The yoke/tabard should have structure and not be limp.

Quote:
And 2) what do yourself or others doing the invasion gown use to light the orbs around the dress? Is there a standard / common idea for the setup or all individual setups and solutions?

As usual, there is no "standard". I'm still working on my gown, but I will use LED lights, powered with batteries.... and...

Quote:
Initially it was small lights fed through the inside of the dress into the orbs ( like little fairy lights ). There was a battery pack powering 2 of the orbs, so 3 packs in total. They were quite heavy and were pinned to the inside of the dress, pulling it down in 3 places. I thought there must be a better way.

...yes. Personally I will store my battery packs in pouches that are sewn to the inside of the hoopskirt. The hoopskirt IS already very stable, so there's not a single chance that the pouches will pull it down.
So maybe that could be a solution for you as well?
Shay Kenobi ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Naergi.

Yes, it was meant as a compliment. Your costumes and attention to detail is fantastic -really impressive.

What a great comparison. It shows up a lot of differences, thank you so much. You are dead right about the gold embroidery – accurate in its design but probably needs to be about 40% larger. Can you see what I meant about the sleeves? They are way too long. Crying or Very sad

I don’t know much about hoop skirts but I will do some research. Wink

I now think that we will retain the headdress, but perhaps the dress will require a “start from scratch” approach. Care to take on a commission ? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Thanks again for the feedback Naergi, you have been very helpful Smile

Regards,

Shay.

Naergi ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Shay,
Shay Kenobi wrote:
What a great comparison. It shows up a lot of differences, thank you so much. You are dead right about the gold embroidery – accurate in its design but probably needs to be about 40% larger.

This is why I really like those photoshopped comparisons. They show even minor differences in proportion very clearly; and I use them for my own costumes as well; so I wholeheartedly recommend them to everyone.

Quote:
Can you see what I meant about the sleeves? They are way too long. Crying or Very sad

The really good thing about clothing that is too long is... it can be shortened Smile It's just difficult if something is too short since lengthening doesn't work as quick as shortening.

Quote:
I now think that we will retain the headdress, but perhaps the dress will require a “start from scratch” approach. Care to take on a commission ? Laughing Laughing Laughing

Be assured that even I find headdresses so difficult and annoying that I would never ever in my life take a commission for a headdress Mr. Green Razz

Quote:
Thanks again for the feedback Naergi, you have been very helpful Smile

You're welcome. And thank you for taking my constructive criticism so well; it's not something I always experience when giving it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Padme All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: