Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=be7510de23e10a947fdbbe6ebfaa9cccMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Capital City Garrison Chewie build
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RC1320 (Luc Lavictoire)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:03 am    Post subject: Capital City Garrison Chewie build Reply with quote

After getting some awesome inspiration from Andy's (aka Berserker of the forums) Snoova build, I embarked in making Chewie.

It's been an interesting journey so far. I flipped back and forth between making my own platform shoes and doing stilts. After trying Andy's stilts and tweaking my springs, I went ahead with the stilts.

First thing was to change the bolts at the top of the stilts to avoid it grabbing the mesh suit - Again kudos go to Andy here. The left stilt is sporting the new bolts, the right side the old ones.

I started by making a bigger foot pad, increasing my stability on the stilts by a huge factor.

At the recommendation of Andy, I split the front and back of the foot platform. It makes it easier to walk as it has a more natural flex. Wood was sealed with a lacquer to avoid it rotting should water get to it.

I built up the foot with some hard insulation foam. It was glued to the wood using a special glue that bonds the wood and the foam without melting it. Once sanded to the shape I wanted, I attached the toes to the foot base. All was covered with gorilla tape in order to seal everything properly.

I used a foam mattress from Walmart in order to build up the calf. Once happy with the shape, I finished with gorilla tape.

RC1320 (Luc Lavictoire)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy (Berserker) helped me making the calf mesh covers and showed me how to start latching. After 5 strands, I was set free on my journey.

I'm mixing some strawberry blonde (#27), some light brown (#6) and some dark brown (#4).

After a few hours of latching; my first foot started taking shape.

After getting more confortable in working with the hair and having a system down pat, my wife joined the latching party. and we make quick work of the feet.

After the feet were finished, I had Rob help me assemble my mesh suit. We dropped the crotch area of the suit to enable to make the proportions work.

Now that I'm picking up speed in latching, I was able to make the bottom part of the pants in a relative short amount of time (a few hours only).

Wife has started latching the shirt portion. Need to poke her a bit more often for her to get to it! LOL.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great pictures!! just what I needed to get going on my chewy feet

I am no expert, but its looking good to me!

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe its just my view of the pictures, but the hair does not seem to be straightened enough.

Before getting too far into the latch hooking I would recommend straightening the hair a bit more. Its much easier to straighten the hair first rather than later.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He needs to hair dry the krimpiness out of the hair some more. Also the sleeves should be a little longer.. Im seeing short arm syndrome in the future. Even if long hair is latched to the ends. You should extend the sleeve 3 inches more. Then latch the shorter hair to make it easier tho grip things. Chewies hands were rarely if ever seen in the movies. Keep up the good work.....

Chewy Layers snow to print
RC1320 (Luc Lavictoire)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips.

Some of the packs of hair is a lot easier to straighten then others. One pack I just couldn't get it to straighten properly. I left it aside, then used another set

I also dropped my crotch about 6-8 inches to offset the "T-Rex" effect. I started latching that part last night, and hope to be able to finish it tonight to see how it looks.

The "crinkling" effect, if I can call it that, for some odd reason, is harder to see than with the camera.

I may use a straightening iron just to see if that will work.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my hair dryer works awesome.

step on one end, pull tight, blow hot air on it.. maybe 1 min or so.. done

here's a pic, half heated half not.

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work! Keep it up and post, post, post progress!
RC1320 (Luc Lavictoire)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More latching. My goal tonight was to finish the crotch area and the front of the pants.

Mission accomplished.

Next up; I'll have to bring up the hair on right side (and a bit of the left). Also have to build up my shins to avoid the bump where my shoes are. I want it to look a bit more nautral and I have just the idea on how I will do that. More on that this weekend.
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff! Lookout for that ceiling!
My past two troops have been with low ceilings. Getting out of a hockey locker room and low ceiling under the seats and a hotel with chandeliers was not fun!
RC1320 (Luc Lavictoire)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 03, 2013 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'll be very close to the 8ft with the mask.

I'm noticing that the strawberry blonde is a bit too wide at the front... I'll have to unlatch a bit to make it thinner and have more grey there.
RC1320 (Luc Lavictoire)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I better update this thread.

I had to order from California the grey required for the suit as my local source could not get it. I got something different from Kanekalon. I'ts called Afrelle (made by Kanekalon). I find even easier to use than the regular kanekalon as it feels thinner / softer.

Latching is obviously the longest part of it. Here is a picture of the pants finished.

Once the pants finished, I went for a walk around my house. I got a lot of curious looks and talked to a lot of people about the suit.

I worked the back of the skull. Took a few hours.

I punched the face in less than 25 hours. I was expecting a much longer process, but somehow I breezed through it.
Here is a picture in the home stretch.

I wet the hair with very hot water to try and get the bend on the hair right. It worked well.

Once satisfied with the face hair, I glued the silicone mask to the skull with this:

It was stressful because you have to be careful the hair doesn't get trapped in the adhesive.

Quick test after it had set overnight.

Did another test outside and noticed I really needed help with the stylizing of the face.

I got a family friend to help out with it, a day before my first appearance.

When I got dressed, I put my hands on the side of the face, screwing up the hairspray. It will need more work. This was at the official media launch for the Star Wars Identities exhibit. I'm on the left, Snoova (Andy/Berserker) is on the right.

I then trooped a few days at the Ottawa Comic-con and it went like gangbusters. I'm still going to tweak the costume and get it trimmed properly before FanExpo in August.

Zaxmon (Ryan Ricks)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!
SoloYT1300 (Robert Kohn)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Colorado Wildfires 2012 Relief Award (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its hard to bring yourself to trim down, but once you do,you will start to notice a more accurate look.

Looks great so far!
RC1320 (Luc Lavictoire)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the encouragement!

I'm not worried about the suit itself trimming wise, because it's easy to re-latch some hair. The head, well that's a different story! I know the "beard" is a bit too long and hides the grey on the chest. I'm getting that done in a few weeks with the hairdresser friend. She'll make it look more natural than I can.

Shirt and pants are on a mannequin now so that i can add more hair on the shoulders to hide the mesh more. Then, I will tackle the legs and add a bit more grey towards the front.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: