About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=9204bb83b5bb2cfa6bedabc603fc963fMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

WIP: Imperial Knight Ronin Kol (less image intensive)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: WIP: Imperial Knight Ronin Kol (less image intensive) Reply with quote

[EDIT: I turned a number of the embedded images to direct links to my web provider so as to make the thread less image intensive].

After far too many years and way too much time, effort, and $$$, I'm finally on the road to building my Imperial Knight. I was going to do a face character, but after reading a few issues of the comic featuring that character I noticed some issues and decided to stick with a generic knight, based off of a character named Ronin Kol that I used to play in the Star Wars Saga Edition RPG from Wizards of the Coast.

Please remember, this is still SEVERELY A WIP and is not really even half-done yet.

So first things first:

This is the design I'm working on--it was a reference photo drawn by Jan Duursema, who created the Imperial Knights for Star Wars: Legacy:

I was thinking about how to best accomplish this, when I recalled an idea my brother-in-law, who is something of a leatherworker, had for creating renaissance faire doublets by using old leather jackets and removing the sleeves and hardware. I thought if that could work for a ren faire doublet, why not for an Imperial Knight tunic, if I could find the right coat to start with.

Then I stumbled across this on ebay:

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/tunic%281%29.jpg

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/tunic%283%29.jpg

In the last photo if you look closely you will note that the seams for the skirted part of the coat, from the waist down, do indeed form eight panels.

The first thing I wanted to do was give myself a little more room inside, and make it a bit thinner, so it wouldn't be as heavy or hot (or take up as much bulk under the armor. So I removed the lining:

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/tunic%284%29.jpg

That's just a shot after the first rough tear-out. I did a lot of clean-up work to trim down the leftovers and clean up frayed fabric and threads, which I saved you the boredom of viewing step by step. There were shoulder pads in the coat; ripping them out gave me quite a bit more room across the back.

I quickly learned that the lining was actually doubled over and part of the same seam that finished the leather, so a thin line of it had to be left; I trimmed down as close to the seam as I could. Some fabric paint at the end of the build will hide the "gold."

I also left the pockets in for now--they will be hidden under the armor and belt and it could just come in handy having them. Their interior is made of the same fabric as the lining; it, too, will be colored black with fabric paint to hide it. If the pockets turn out to be too visible or a nuisance, I can always cover them up later.

The next step was to turn the normal skirted part into a tabard skirt. This, at least at the outset, is as simple as cutting up the seams that hold the skirt sections as one. Like so:

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/tunic%285%29.jpg

My plan next is to cut away the two side panels on either side, and move them up and in so that they are shorter than the front and back panels and overlap just ever so slightly, as the design photo shows. I have not decided whether I'll sew them in or use an industrial strength leather cement. I will likely go with the latter, as it won't leave a visible seam on the outside of the tunic.

I need to hit JoAnn fabrics this weekend for some supplies.

So that's where I am tonight with the soft parts. Once I shorten the side tabards, finish the design on the neck seal, and install the velcro closure on the front, I'll need to do a lot of clean-up on the rough edges, make sure it looks nice and finished. Then, all I should have to do is the quilt-stitching up the sleeves and neck seal.

This suit is coming together very nicely. I can't wait to get it done; this will be the most expensive costume I've ever done, weighing in at probably over $1,000. Hopefully it passes muster for the legion. I'm pretty sure I'm meeting all the standards.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
The Sugar Jedi formerly known as The Grey Elf
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)

Last edited by Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey) on Mon May 27, 2013 6:30 pm; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my back plate this weekend, as well as the belt last week. The belt is about 55" long so will have to be modified. My brother in law seems to think it should be easy enough to accomplish.

I'm still waiting on the abdomen and groin plates and am starting to suspect the seller is going to screw me over. Fortunately, I've another source for those parts if necessary. The biggest trick will be matching the finish on the back plate to the finish on the rest of the armor, but I'm confident I can get close enough if not perfectly exact. I'm thinking a trip to Advance Auto Parts with a piece of the armor should yield results. Money is tight at the moment so that will have to wait a week or three to accomplish.

I've replaced the black sticker cogs with silver and black embroidered patches, which look great.

The tunic is coming along, but is requiring a lot of exhaustive work to put together.

My scheme for the neck seal has proven more difficult than anticipated. After bending two leather needles going through multiple layers, my brother in law advised that I punch holes first, which will not only help with that problem but enable me to get straighter seams. So that's the next plan. If that fails I'm going to remove the collar altogether and make the neck seal a separate piece like a dickie.

I will try to get some more photos posted this week.

"A Jedi knight!? Jeez, I'm out of it for a little while, and everyone gets delusions of grandeur!"
KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DarthGM (Phil Maiewski)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Silver Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't wait to see it!

IKs are one of the many costumes I'd love to have.
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the leather body suit should be quilted (with roughly 1" stitches) similar to Vader's leather jumpsuit.

And yes, this is a costume I have my eye on for the future!

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SithariRog wrote:
It is my understanding that the leather body suit should be quilted (with roughly 1" stitches) similar to Vader's leather jumpsuit.

And yes, this is a costume I have my eye on for the future!

Only the sleeves and collar (neck seal) need to be quilted on the tunic, and the pants will need to be quilted. I haven't started on the pants yet but I have some thoughts.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Magnius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

comming along fantastically !
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magnius wrote:
comming along fantastically !

Thanks! I got the modified belt back yesterday and my brother in law did an OUTSTANDING job for it--he took over a foot off of it. He's going to send me the photos he took so I can post those as well.

I'm hoping to get the tunic done this week. Then it's onto the pants, which will present the real challenge, without a sewing machine.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Ammi Ziva (Danielle Volkar)
Active Legion Member

Bronze Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to seeing you in this new Jedi Knight outfit. Hopefully you will have it done soon enough to come back to trooping in May....

Sugar is missed!! Razz
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss you guys, too! I had a mishap with the collar, so it'll be made now as a separate dickie. I plan to get the stitching for that and the sleeves done tonight. Then I need to finish modding the tabards, get the velcro closures installed, and the tunic will be done.

Keep your fingers crossed for me on the pants--I have a thought that may or may not work, and if it doesn't it'll be a pretty big setback.

On the up side, the two missing pieces of my armor should theoretically be delivered today. Again, fingers crossed!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completed the back plate tonight. Now recall when I got this it was just a white piece of plastic. I had to attempt to match the color of the rest of the suit.

I have the bracer in front of it for reference. I'm pretty darned pleased.

Also, the idea I had for the pants is working well, but I'll need some more supplies. Will post pictures of them when they're ready.

So theoretically, the armor is done. I just affixed velcro patches to the back plate. Will have to wait till tomorrow for the adhesive to reach full strength before I can fit the whole suit on, but once I do I'll post a picture.

Then I just have to finish the soft parts.

I did a bit more work on my saber in the meantime. Will post a new pic of that as well--I noticed my blade holder was facing the wrong way, and the thumb screw was silver and needed to be black. I fixed both of those oversights.

It's coming along!

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on the soft parts today. I'm taking a secondary approach while the tunic's out for stitching, in case that goes bad. Hope to have at least a trial fit photo of the armor up before the weekend is out.

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, folks, here's the first armor test fit. It's not too bad, but as is to be expected with a first fitting, there was a minor issue or two.

Please don't pay any attention to the soft parts--I just wore sweats, a black collared shirt, and a makeshift tabard skirt so it looked remotely correct. These aren't the actual soft parts.

First, the revisions to the saber hilt:

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/iksaber1.jpg

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/iksaber2.jpg

Now, the armor itself

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/testfit1.jpg

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/testfit2.jpg

You'll note above that one of my side straps came loose and is hanging a bit. This is because I ran into a problem where the velcro on the back plate didn't make proper contact with the side straps:

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/testfit3.jpg

I have come up with a potential solution but am back to waiting for adhesive to set up. So we'll try again tomorrow or later this week.

Thoughts? Opinions?

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)

Last edited by Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey) on Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, folks. Here's my final test-fitting. It's going to take some practice getting into and out of this getup--my first full suit of armor. But I am pretty happy with how it's turned out. What do you all think? Ready for approval?

FRONT:

SABER ON BELT

SIDE:

BACK WITH CAPE:

BACKPLATE

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Sugar Jedi (Jason Vey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COLLAR
http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/collar.jpg

GAUNTLET
http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/gauntlet.jpg

ACTION
http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/action1.jpg

http://www.elflair.com/images/IK/action3.jpg

KJO (Blumfruit Temple)
Echo Base (Western PA)
Daddy Solo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

saweeeeeeet! Surprised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: