Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e9302c4f28fe89e19b789d92a82c73dcMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-wing Pilot Version 4 (Finished!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though progress on the B-wing pilot costume slowed down a little bit while I made a few new greeblies after finding some better pictures (but I'm back on track now, just painting the greeblies now) I worked on another project that kind of relates to the pilot... I finished some blasters. I finished three blasters, a DL-44, DH-17 and Rebels style E-11, though the E-11 is for the Imperial Combat Driver costume that's on my ever growing "costume to-do list" I figured that I might as well paint it while I was doing the other two.

The DH-17 is one of the Hasbro "Rebel Blaster" foam dart guns, the E-11 is a Rubies stormtrooper blaster and the DL-44 is a 2015 Disney Parks Rebel Blaster. The lights and sounds still work on the DL-44, too (the lights also work on the DH-17 and it still fires darts).

Of course none of the blasters are completely accurate but I'm pleased with them nonetheless.

DL-44

DH-17

E-11

They go well with the blaster I made a few years ago, which was based on the blaster pistol that came with some of the Hasbro 3 3/4" B-wing pilot action figures (but is completely non-canon). Razz

B-wing Pilot - Jedi
-RLSC XO - RL Pilot Mentor

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Philonius ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2016 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks damn good, Alex!

Yeah, we are all just bigger people than in the 1940's. Hormones in the meats, better medicine, etc.... but a WWII size Large is more like today's Medium. We have a few of our A-wing pilots who scored original ANH15's and found that out.

Speaking of that, they have to slip the ANH15 into the bucket and slide the whole thing on together in order for it to fit.... similar problem to your B-wing bucket, although they can make it happen. I have a repro from Stephanie Bradley, and the ear cups are made a lot flatter, so I can slip the bucket on over the cap already on my head. Hers are quite good, if you need one... $60.

We're fixing to get 2-3 B-wing pilots soon in our squadron, I'll have to see which version they are going for. My focus these days is TFA X-wing Smile
Massiff Squadron CO

"The value of moving slowly is that one can always clearly see the way ahead."
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have no idea how the A-wing pilots in RotJ got the helmets on over the caps. The Endor trooper caps have soft ear discs instead of the regular hard ones, perhaps for that same reason that it was hard to get helmets on over them, so it's possible that the pilots had soft ones, too. But I'm imaging that's why none of the B-wing pilots have a helmet on... 'Cause they couldn't get them on. Heh.

But I made my own cap (posted it on the second page) with soft discs. The helmet fits over it without any problem. They're just foam rings with pleather around them.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dr. Morbius (Ingo Kaiser)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blue Banshee Leader wrote:
Yeah, I have no idea how the A-wing pilots in RotJ got the helmets on over the caps.

Well, I've got a head size 7 and wear a AN-H-15 size L...I just need to bend open the opening of the A-Wing helmet a little bit when putting it on and it'll work just fine...lucky me Smile
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally have my latest chestbox (of my scratch-built mold) all painted! Took me forever. I literally repainted the thing a half dozen times until I got a color that I was satisfied with. The trench is pained in flat "wrought iron" which is a little bit lighter than straight black, so there's a difference in color between the trench and the greeblies. I'll be putting on the pinstriping after I weather the chestbox, I'm just using pinstriping tape.

And here's a picture with the greeblies loosely in place but not yet glued down...

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:06 am; edited 2 times in total
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need a like button Smile
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh heh, thanks. Razz

I wash hoping to have pictures of the helmet up, too, but a couple of the decals were giving me problems. I think I got it fixed and I'm going to put the final two newly-printed decals on tomorrow.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's my helmet so far. Next up is attaching the greeblies and weathering it.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
BoabiWan (Alan Bell)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice build thread man.

Al.
Smile
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
BoabiWan (Alan Bell)
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No probs, it ain't a costume I've seen in the flesh, but is cool in my opinion.
Any more photos? How's the lid coming along/

MTFBWY,
Al.
Smile
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are coming along. I'm at the point where I can start weathering everything and hopefully get everything finished up in a couple weeks. The last few weeks have been emotionally difficult for me so I haven't gotten a lot done.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it was about time I post some new pictures. I'm almost finished with the costume.

First off, I finished my helmet. The greeblies are based on the greeblies on the helmets worn in Rebel Assault II, which are similar to one of the helmets in the Star Wars Costumes book but one of the greeblies is a little different. The visor is based on one from the Star Wars Costumes book. The helmet paint scheme is my own custom scheme. Though it's hard to see in the pictures, along with the weathering I put on a little silver paint on some of the edges to make it look like the helmet is made of metal, and the silver metal is revealed under the scratched white paint. Smile
All of the greeblies were made by me (except for the metal plug on the cords, that's a vintage military plug, can't remember what it's called). I need to get another picture of the visor as some of the details aren't showing up very well in these pictures. Need to get some better lighting.

I also finished my accurate chestbox. Almost all of the greeblies were made by me except for the guitar potentiometer and the OMRON relay-- and, technically, the AMP connector, which is an accurate connector that I made a mold of and a resin cast. The relay is a vintage one and is the type that was used on the movie chestbox (worn by Keyan Farlander in RotJ and Ten Numb in pre-production pictures).

Some detail shots. I have lots of little details on the various greeblies, most of which no one will probably see, but they're there to make them look a bit more authentic. The diode on the green motherboard greeblie, for example, which is all resin, I painted colored stripes on to match a real diode, and the frame piece in the D-shaped cut has a capacitor with silver arms, the diodes have a red stripe to match a picture of black diodes I found, and the battery has a gray stripe, and I painted all of the prongs. On the DIN audio plug, I painted the inside of the circular slots silver to look like there were metal connections inside.

Almost all of the paint colors on the chestbox are custom colors I mixed, the top blue stripe and the base color being the ones that took me the longest, especially the base color. Took me hours to mix a good color. But after lots of trial and error and experimenting I finally managed to get a good color that also shimmers accurately and alters shades depending on how the light hits it like in the reference pictures. (Example)

On August 1st I lost my beloved cat, Caper, to cancer and that hit me really, really hard. I still miss her a whole lot every day. I dedicated my costume to Caper and wrote a small dedication memorial on the back of my chestbox, along with a print of her paw. It's positioned in the upper left corner (left when I'm wearing it) so that her memory is always by my heart... Smile

I realized that I never posted pictures of my finished belt box so here it is. I weathered it but the "dirt" doesn't show up very well on the solid black.

Here's the hose. I put a plug on the end of it so that it looked like it would connect into the cockpit.

And here's my flightsuit/coveralls. It has the accurate pockets on it (including the Nomex-like chest pockets, shoulder panels and pen pocket). This is also the first time I've weathered any clothing!

I also went back and weathered my blasters a little bit more. Here's a picture of the DH-17 which I scratched up a little more to look like some of the paint has been worn off from the blaster being taken in and out of the holster, and I added a little dirt to it and some blast scoring on the muzzle.

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Dr. Morbius (Ingo Kaiser)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool update, bro! I love your helmets Wink
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2016 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out. Smile

B-wing Pilot - Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: