Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=3a2bce0751852a69ec0c680e695219d4Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-wing Pilot Version 4 (Finished!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe take into a FedEx Office or Alphagraphics or other such printing/copying place and see if they can scan it into pdf?

Also, when sewing that particular fabric (the blanket) did you need to use a heavier needle on the sewing machine?
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never thought about that. I'm not sure if their scanners are big enough, either, but I'll see if I can find out. Never hurts to try!

And no, it didn't need a special needle. The material is basically like felt or a loose wool, you can pull it apart with your fingers, so you have to be careful with it when you're cutting it and sewing it because it stretches really easily. Put some medium weight interfacing in it and it should keep it pretty sturdy, that's what I did. The material is somewhat thin (I'm not sure of the exact thickness) so it's not that hard to sew through. The material is coated in a fireproofing agent of some sort but you can't feel it and it doesn't seem to alter the material in any way that I found.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it, thank you Smile
Iron Edge (Ian Cook)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in a vest pattern as well Smile the helmet and belt box is awesome btw great work!

ywingfighter (Frank)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex,
I would be interessted for your Vest pattern!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I get a chance I'll run over to the nearest FedEx/Kinkos and see if any of their scannners are big enough, assuming I can find one that's still in business. I wonder how people usually get their patterns online?

Iron Edge wrote:
I would be interested in a vest pattern as well Smile the helmet and belt box is awesome btw great work!

Thanks. Good luck on 'em. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2016 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push come to shove, you could always take the pattern and divide it into a grid. Then scan the grid "pieces" into individual pdf's.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finished my belt box. Two of them to be precise. one I painted with a white rectangle on the side like in most references, and the other one I painted with a red rectangle like in a picture of an A-wing pilot costume from the Art of Star Wars exhibit (because why not?). I also added some metallic silver paint to the boxes to make them look like they're made of metal and that the black paint is scratched and worn from use and age. I may go back and add a little bit of dirt as well, but if I do I'll wait until I have my helmet and chestbox finished, too, so I can weather everything at the same time and make my life easier.

I tried to make the circuit board parts kind of look like a motherboard or something, so I painted them with green metallic paint with a light coat of green glitter paint and then I added details with silver and gold paint pens. I think that they came out decent enough considering that you won't really see them much. One of the circuit board greeblies has a chunk missing from it but I used it anyway and painted in the missing chunk to look like it was broken off, so there's some silver paint inside to look like it's the inside of the board.

I haven't put on the belt clips yet, I thought that I would wait for now because if I do end up adding some "dirt" to the belt boxes I would have to take off the belt clips, anyway, so I might as well leave them off for the time being. But the holes are drilled out on the back and it's all ready to go.

I didn't take a picture of the belt boxes with the circuit board slid into the connector, I forgot to take a picture of them like that so I'll do that later.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. Someone cut off a pencil pocket from a military flight suit and sent it to me, so I have a real one to look at. It shouldn't be too hard to make the small changes for the RotJ one and make a pattern of it. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm all set to have my B-wing pilot helmet and chestbox finished by the weekend, in time for the Rose City Comic Con. I had planned to have two helmets and two chestboxes finished but I ran out of time...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get my helmet and chestbox finished in time for the Rose City Comic Con here in Portland. I got the costume finished literally an hour before I had to leave. Talk about cutting it close. I still need to do a little bit of tweaking to the coveralls, and I'll be revisiting the arm pocket one more time, but all-in-all I'm pretty pleased with the costume. I don't have any pictures of me wearing it yet, I didn't have time to take any before the convention and after it I was too exhausted. I'm hoping my base will be putting up some of the booth group shots soon, which will have me in some of them!

So, anyway, here's the helmet. I saw a picture of a prototype B-wing pilot helmet, the picture here, and I really liked the paint scheme, so I based my helmet on that one. But I wanted to use more screen accurate greeblies so I used the greeblies seen in the Costumes book and mimicked the placement of them on the placement of the prototype greeblies. I also only have a picture of one side of this particular helmet, so I had to use my imagination and get a little creative for the other side of the helmet and the back. (I based the placement of the greeblies on another prototype helmet that I have pictures of every side of.)
The chin strap is temporary. I had new material for the chin strap but I misplaced it and didn't have time to get more, so for the convention I just took a chin strap from one of my old helmets, flipped it over, put on a new chin patch, and put it on this helmet. I'll be replacing it.
\

And here's the chestbox, which is based on the picture here (top right, bottom left).

The hose connects onto the chestbox by the long screw you see in this picture. The cloth tube covers the white plastic connector so you don't see it when it's on the chestbox. It just pulled away in this picture. And for the heck of it, I also made a connector for the other end of the plug to make it look like the hose connects into something, like into the cockpit of a B-wing. You really don't see it when I have the costume on, of course, but I just did it for fun.

Here's how the greeblies look. They're accurate to the chestbox that Keyan Farlander wears in Return of the Jedi and Ten Numb has in pre-production pictures. The placement of these greeblies isn't final, I'll be moving them around a bit and making the white patch fit the computer plug better and sit straighter. This is mostly just to show how they look, more or less.

New gaiters...

My new belt and belt box...

And the coveralls. Most of the pockets were removed except for the chest pockets that are hidden under the flak vest (I need some kind of storage! Razz), added the upper leg pockets (which are longer than the regular X-wing pilot pockets), added the lower leg reinforcement panels, put on a collar tab, put a more accurate strip up the center of the suit to hide the zipper, and I added sleeve tabs just so it looked a little bit more like a flightsuit. And like I mentioned, I'll be revisiting the arm pocket.

I've been working on my other helmet and chestbox as well, which will be my main chestbox and helmet for when I troop. They're coming along...

(I haven't glued anything down on them yet.)

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:16 am; edited 2 times in total
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice!

I thought you mentioned you weren't sure how to weather? Wink
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I said that? I don't remember now... XD I'm not great at weathering but I've dabbled in it a bit. This was the best weathering I've done so far and I used some techniques that I never tried before, and they worked out pretty well. Though I did have an accident when I was weathering the chestbox... I went to reach for the flat clear-coat to "lock in" a layer of weathering but grabbed a can of black spray paint instead and didn't notice it until half of my chestbox was black. Thankfully I was able to remove a lot of the black paint with some paint thinner (after a fair bit of foul language)-- and thankfully the thinner didn't damage the base coat-- so I was able to touch up the chestbox a bit. But that's why the one side is so dark. Though I think it looks alright after I worked at it for a while and toned it down. ^^;;

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)

2018 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks great Smile

Sometimes I think its the accidents that make things awesome Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wasn't so awesome when half of my chestbox was almost fully black, heh heh. Razz

But sometimes the things you don't mean to do can look the best.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: