Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=90e84b47eca083c53ea998441d4620a6Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

B-wing Pilot Version 4 (Finished!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... I finally submitted my current B-wing pilot for approval. I had this long-winded reason why I wasn't going to submit it but in short it was because I thought it would be silly to submit an "in between" version for approval. But after thinking more about it lately I realized that it was probably silly for me to think this and considering what the costume is and how much work I've put into it that I should just submit it... So I finally did... almost two years later. Razz

I'm still working on the final version, which I'm now considering my fourth version, but it wont be finished for months. I need to finish my Jedi first (which has been taking me much longer than I thought it would).

http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/costume.php?mode=view&c=9261&bu=coslist.php%3Fview%3Dmy&bl=Back+to+my+costumes

I have a list of changes and some other information about it on my Facebook costuming/cosplay page...
https://www.facebook.com/cosplay.BlueLeader

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-

Last edited by Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch) on Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Okami Dai ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Alex!

I really admire your passion and view for details when creating a costume!
You did a fantastic job on your "reds"... Cool

Now lets fight the Imps with speed Awing and firepower Bwing ...
Jedi Knight
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile
Honestly, though, it'll be nice to have the costume finished. I don't think I'll be able to get any more accurate than I can with the fourth/final version unless some really superb pictures come out, which doesn't seem to likely at this point.

Ugh, but I still need to get my Jedi finished before I really start working on my next B-wing pilot. The Jedi outfit seemed so simple, I can't believe it's taking this long.

Though I have been slowly gathering some things for the next B-wing pilot version. I found some material that I think might be a better match for the flak vest, and I've located some coveralls that are actually a true red and not red with a pink tint.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's time that I make a little update. I already posted, in another thread, about my progress on casts of the helmet and chestbox, but I've also been doing a little work on the soft goods of my costume. Now that my Jedi is finished I can finally dive back into my B-wing pilot costume.

I found some fairly accurate material for the vest (finally) so I'm pretty pleased about that. I have a troop this weekend but if I have time I was thinking that I might try to bust out the flak vest... Or at least get it cut out. It's a fireproof disaster relief blanket. It seems to match the pictures I've seen pretty well, and in some lighting it looks a little brownish... So... perfect. Smile

I also got some new webbing and accurate slides for the ejection harness. I spent a lot of time talking with an employee at Strapworks.com about the perfect white webbing to use... On my last B-wing pilot version the webbing I used for my ejection harness has a little bit of an off-white color, it's almost more of an eggshell, with a light orange hue to it... Which I didn't notice until I saw some pictures of me at the last Star Wars Celebration. I also didn't notice until these pictures that the webbing was slightly transparent and in these pictures you could see one harness strap through the other... This, combined with the hue and the color of my flightsuit, gave my harness a sickly orange color in pictures that I really hated... My belt, on the other hand, is a more pure white and it isn't transparent, and it seems to be a different webbing as the weave is a little different and it feels a little heavier. I have no idea what I used for the harness or the belt... So I spent time with a Strapworks.com employee discussing the right webbing to get that wouldn't do this. They recommended what I buy and so I did... Though I think that I bought way too much of it. Never hurts to play it safe, right? Laughing

So I have a bunch of 2" white webbing, 1" white webbing, 1" black webbing, four accurate buckles for the shoulder straps and gaiters, and four accurate metal slides for the harness (though I only need two, but I always like to buy extra). The buckle I have for my belt is already accurate so I didn't bother to buy another one.

And here are some pictures of the helmet and chestbox so far...

Chestbox...

Helmet...

I have to admit that I'm happy to be working on my B-wing pilot costume again. I don't know why but I really enjoy working on it more so than other costumes I've worked on. I have a lot of fun with it. Smile

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the helmet is all fixed up and ready to make a mold of, and the chestbox is almost ready, just needs a little bit more sanding and then I need to seal it and then it'll be ready for making a mold, too. I'll post an update to that in the build thread. Smile

In other news, I bought some material for my new AN-H-15 replica. I brought my authentic AN-H-15 with me and was able to match the material and colors pretty well...

I also bought two new pair of coveralls. I was going to buy them from another company overseas but these others were half the price and had free shipping, so for the price of one of the coveralls from overseas I was able to buy two of these ones. I'm not entirely sure if I like the color or not but they're definitely better than my old Dickies. I'll try to get a picture this weekend wearing them and think it over.

I picked up a U-haul moving blanket a couple weekends ago just to compare the color of it to my disaster relief blankets, see if the U-haul moving blanket looked more accurate... Well, after comparing the two I definitely think that the disaster relief blankets look much more accurate. The gray is a better match, the color fibers match better, and it also have a slight brownish tint to it in certain lighting. So I'm going to be sticking with that...

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally have some costume pictures to post. On Sunday I finished my AN-H-15 replica cap which took way too long to complete, heh. I may still play around with the black ear doughnut things so that they sit straighter but either way it's done. Finally.

I have a real AN-H-15 as well (which is what's inside the box) and that came in real handy to compare to.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the first cast of my helmet done. It came out pretty good, though one side on the top got a little thin, I guess I didn't rotate the resin around well enough to that side to get it. I can fill it in, and I know now to rotate it better for the next casts.

I've also started painting one of my chestboxes. The other style of chestbox that I'm working on, the one with the big red button, I had to wait to paint because I need to finish a greeblie for it. The greeblie gets glued on and painted the same base color as the chestbox.

This is the style with the two black boxes. So far it's come out pretty well, I think. It's looking pretty darn accurate so far. It took me a little searching but I found the perfect color paint for the base coat. Smile

This is also the chestbox that got damaged when I was casting it. I filled it all in and cleaned it up.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
WanderingWindward (Casey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 6 (View more...)
Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks awesome! Any chance you might sell copies of the helmet casting?
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, that's the plan. I'll have pretty much everything available including the helmet, chestbox, beltbox and all of the greeblies for all of them including the flak vest greeblies (except for the computer plug on the vest, it's tough to cast it because the prongs are so thin, and a real one can be bought at pretty much any computer hardware store, anyway). I have all different sorts of greeblies for different "styles" of the helmet and chestbox.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A preview of something that's almost finished... Smile

I finally got myself something I've been needing for a few years now: a decent pair of boots. While I wish that they were taller, closer to the jack boot height, it's nearly impossible to find a US men's size 13 jack boot, especially in a size 13 wide which is what I usually wear, but I spotted these at a local military surplus store and for the price it was hard to pass up, especially considering that it was the only size 13 they had left.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Outlaw10 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's the helmet kit project coming?

Outlaw10 by Birgle38, on Flickr
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2015 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two helmets have been sent out. The last two orders I just need the chestbox greeblies, which I should be able to make a mold of this weekend, assuming one of the 3D model reprints arrives in the mail by then. Everything else is done and ready to go, just the chestbox greeblies are left.

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got some more work done on my costume. The flak vest is now finished except for a couple small things like the greeblies and I'm still toying around with the buckles a little bit, but nothing major. The belt is done. I've started removing the unneeded pockets from my coveralls and have begun putting together the pattern I have for the left arm pocket.

I've started painting my belt box as well and my helmets are just about ready for painting. I'll be able to paint my belt boxes once I cast the greeblies (there are a couple that need to be glued on before I can paint).

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Rhaethe (Cari Merola)
Assistant Legion Membership Officer
Assistant Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2015 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good Smile

Side question ... did you create a pattern for the flak vest? Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2015 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I did. Though I'm not entirely sure how to post it seeing as I can't just scan it in... It's too big. Trying to figure that one out. Razz

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> B-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: