Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=6963284ce2c04b9d6ad5b1f5c7d57a06Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stealth Squadron X-Wing Pilot Costume
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Base Membership Officer

Medals: 1 (View more...)
2017 Dragon Con Medal (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im still waiting for news / movment on this as well. Dagobah base is seriously looking towards doing this in the new year. Our counterpart Bast Alpha Garrison has a number of bloodstripe 181st Pilots that we need to counter.

NCOIC, "GUNNY" Marine Detachment Barbarossa

Commander, Deep South Mothership, Visitor Fleet.
LadyRebel ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, here's what makes sense to me. This costume is just the standard X-Wing Pilot costume, in different colors. The discrepancies on the flak vest, helmet and chest box are the artists being lazy or not knowing any better.

I would build my Stealth Squadron Leia based on the standard pilot requirements using a charcoal flight suit with orange piping on the sleeves, and charcoal/dark gray components and accessories. The chest box would be standard, but with green buttons, etc. To me, that makes sense logistically...
Yeo Kero (Charles Wright)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LadyRebel wrote:
Okay, here's what makes sense to me. This costume is just the standard X-Wing Pilot costume, in different colors. The discrepancies on the flak vest, helmet and chest box are the artists being lazy or not knowing any better.

I would build my Stealth Squadron Leia based on the standard pilot requirements using a charcoal flight suit with orange piping on the sleeves, and charcoal/dark gray components and accessories. The chest box would be standard, but with green buttons, etc. To me, that makes sense logistically...

Agreed. Maybe even add in the Rebellion logo on the shoulders.

Terrapin Base Commanding Officer 9/13 - 9/17
29th Trooper Division CO 9/17 -
Lord Warden of the Royal Privies
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hae to disagree, this is not typical X wing costume.
From the arm racing stripes to the completely different vest and pocket layout, Im seeing a wholly different uniform.

When i build it Ill build it to the spec of the drawings that we have to work with. Im hoping that the Standards will move forward by then. Building a new vest from scratch, or building a grey 181st vest from scratch is the same amount of work.

I would agree with converting the Autoworkwear charcoal coveralls, I use them extensively for flighsuits. The box and helmet are the easiest part of this.

the flipside of this is how do we justify writing a standard that says X wing in grey and dark/ charcoal grey, when the art does not depict that ?

Ive wrestled with writing CRLs on the EU comic characters before, and its a pain.

LadyRebel ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you're saying about the art, but again I don't think the artists are beholden to the standards set by the movies. It would be tedious and time consuming for them to draw in every bit correctly. Or, again, they just don't care as long as they get the basic look down. If you look at the standard orange suits in the same comic - they aren't drawn to standard either. The white flak vest has the same thick ribbed piece over the shoulder, and the suit's collar is half butterfly, half mandarin, pocket placement, etc.

When I think about it logistically, why would the fleet need to change the pilots vests (or uniforms) after ANH and then change them back for ESB? They gave them a different color scheme because they're a special unit, but it would make sense, to me, for everything else to remain the same.
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then should we proceed with the intent that the art is irrelevant?
When i see EU submissions in the judge lineup, the art is always called into question.

The Corran Horn discrepancies are a perfect example.

If its decided that the layout and components are to be identical in design, then we need onlly make suits in charcoal and buy existing 181st pilot vests.
For the Legacy TIE Pilot we went to the artist and asked her what her art intentions were when drawing the new Pilots. Her answer was that those new suits were a total redesign with a fabric with leatherlike qualities.

Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little late seeing this, but based on the cover art of Luke and Leia, I see several things. We have been making the X-Wing stuff for 4+ years....

1. Vests appear to be more or less standard vests, appearing to be worn backwards like a Snow Speeder Pilot. The straps are not ribbed and appear to be Luke ESB version with the two rivets at the bottom of the shoulder strap. Otherwise, I would call it a "regular" pilot vest.

2. Suits does appear to be leather like, or nylon and appear to be a little different in design compared to a X-Wing pilot suit. There is no visible pocket for code cylinders and stripe appears to be independent onto the sleeve, meaning it is sewn on top and not integrated. There also does not appear to be pockets on the chest either. Collars do seem to be a mix, but the safe bet would be mandarin, regardless of lazy artist. They also appear to "blue-ish" in color to me, more than grey, but that could be me.....

3. Chest box is a standard chest box in design and layout, albeit different colored tiles being green. I think DroidWelder nailed it.

I haven't read the comic, but I remember seeing this thread before and though it would be cool to make this costume. the fact that the issue of "lazy artist" being mentioned a number of times from several people should give us more leeway in creating a CRL for it IMO....

RLSC - XO

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/starfightercommand
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RebelLegionStarfighterCommand
Members Only Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/292241811391912
Base Membership Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it would come down to whether we would accept the cover art, or the interior art.

in the 501st Jolly Roger Squadron we argued the 181st Pilot for four years and wrote several CRLs. It was a pitched battle. We are participating in the same battle for Baron Fel because he is quite unique and unlike the typical 181st Pilot. The cover art and the comic art look nothing alike on either of those characters. In the end the Det adoped the interior, comic art vs the cover art becuase we could see the back of the character, fulfilling the 3 view rule.

it will be up to the det here to choose which way to go. I advocate the interior, comic art because it gives us the best chance to see the back of the costume.

Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2015 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should pick those up then. This would be a really cool costume to add to the list to have and make and offer.

RLSC - XO

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, this suit is on the list for standard considerations, we just have a few others we have to finish up first.

It would be a BIG help if anyone can collect pics for me and send them to rlsc@rebellegion.com!

Baron Flux ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will see what I can find.

I would love to help in writing the CRL for this if assistance is needed.

Going forward and as mentioned by someone earlier, since this does take place between IV and V, it would make sense that there would not be much difference in suit design (technically speaking it if were real) than that of a regular X-Wing Pilot. I really think that should account for something.

RLSC - XO

LadyRebel ()
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baron Flux wrote:

Going forward and as mentioned by someone earlier, since this does take place between IV and V, it would make sense that there would not be much difference in suit design (technically speaking it if were real) than that of a regular X-Wing Pilot. I really think that should account for something.

Yes. I do indeed concur, wholeheartedly.
ionicdesign (Michael)
Assistant Membership Officer

Medals: 7 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:

It would be a BIG help if anyone can collect pics for me and send them to rlsc@rebellegion.com!

Brita has all these, let me see if I can get them to you this week. Is a layered .tif alright?

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! Actually separate files are preferred. I'll be using them for the Detachment reference library that's under construction if this costume becomes formal.

ionicdesign (Michael)

Medals: 7 (View more...)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have all the pages and you can crop, size, and whatnot as you see fit.

KJO Detachment XO/CO 2011-2013 LCJ Takodana Base XO A. Legion Webmaster
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: