About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=c398023f64bfec56e82b45a73caa8934Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Stealth Squadron X-Wing Pilot Costume
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master Vos wrote:
I agree it also looks to be a shade darker as well.

But like I have said previously we need more reference shots.

From the pictures above, I'd say they were the same color. The only differences I see are slight ones in shading/lighting.

I just got an X-wing helmet today REALLY CHEAP, and was starting to look around at costume ideas. I was thinking of doing Baron Fel, but I like this better!

Couple of questions though. Are Luke and Leia the only ones shown in the comic? If so, would these end up being considered costumes for those characters, or would generic versions be acceptable? Also, Luke appears to have a Rebel bird patch on his upper left sleeve, but Leia has some sort of band there (can't quite tell what it is supposed to be). Would you consider the snap buckles on the vest to be black, gray or silver?
Domino (Kristian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No really good references from this months comic, but a good in cockpit one that shows some of the colours.

Kristian "Domino" Goree
Wampa 9
Hoth Base
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with the slits in the side of the helmet? Those didn't seem to be shown in the previous pics. :-(

edit: strike that, they are there, just didn't notice them at the time because I was looking more at the flightsuit. Those really don't look like standard X-wing helmets.
Domino (Kristian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could say it's the artists interpretation of the "sliced onion" I am not sure, they are consistent in all the pics though.

Though in this pic there is a red blob on the helmet where a starbird should be. These arent in any of the other shots pics apart from cover art.

Here are a few more of the helmet showing design, markings, colours etc...

Kristian "Domino" Goree
Wampa 9
Hoth Base
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for those pics, that shows quite a bit of detail for the helmet. Given the obvious bevelling around the edges, those ARE slits in the side of the helmet.

So, are we going to call that helmet dark gray, or are we going to just go with black? In the comic pics it looks the same color as the flight suit and vest, but on the cover images, the helmet looks shiny black or dark blue (depending on the image) and the flightsuit/vest look dark blue (then again, so does Han's jacket).

Being stealth pilots, I'd be tempted to go with a flat black on the helmet. And whatever color is decided on for it, I'd say the chest box is the same color.
Domino (Kristian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to match the suit and the rest (a very monotone costume)

Kristian "Domino" Goree
Wampa 9
Hoth Base
Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be several variations regarding the helmet. I am wondering if Leia's helmet has specific style.

As there are images that show the rebel bird on both sides of the helmet as well or is this just for Luke's helmet.

The decals on this helmet are blue so as usual there are variations in the styles of the helmet.

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
matt.elder1971 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if my vote counts for anything, I'd say we should pretty much ignore the cover images since there are several things inconsistent with them that are consistent throughout the images in the story: position of the chest box tubes, birds on the helmet, bird patches on the flight suit shoulder, etc.

As a stealth group, it actually makes sense that they wouldn't have regular Rebel markings on their uniforms.

One thing that is consistent with the helmets (as we have discussed) is the presence of the 4 diagonal slits on the sides of the helmet. They seem to be present in every image of the helmets (other than the cover pictures), and look the same in all of them.

By the way, are you sure the one with the blue decals is Luke? That looks like a woman to me, with long curly red hair.

One thing I was just looking at, and something that should be considered, is that a dark charcoal gray coverall/flight suit is VERY difficult to find! I found a site in China that will custom make them for you, but have no idea what it would cost. The gray that Dickies and Walls offer appears to be too light to me, and of course black is available, but might be too dark.

I found this one on eBay, which would probably be closer in color, but would need an excessive amount of work to look like the ones in the comic: http://www.ebay.com/itm/German-Airforce-Flight-Suit-AIRFORCE-PILOT-SUIT-Grey-/181083334368?pt=UK_BOI_ProtectiveGear_RL&var=480217630278&hash=item2a296866e0
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're not locking down anything on this costume yet, it's still TOO new. Not only that, but the interior artist can't even keep his details straight. Sometimes the Victory Vs have circles behind them, sometimes they don't. Sometimes there's decoration on the helmet, sometimes not. etc. As for the bevel slits ... we need to wait and see, it could just be the artist being lazy. Because structurally for a real helmet, they're just a bad idea and a good way for the pilot to get killed.

As with the Dress Uniform, we'll need a lot more references before we can settle on what's "standard" for this costume.

Master Vos (Tim)
Ryloth Base CO
Ryloth Base CO

Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone found more images of this costume?

Apart from these ones:

Ryloth Base Website
Ryloth Base FB Page
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so far. More artists, more versions. NO consistency.

Now about the helmets – I know some of you say it's a different helmet from the X-wing due to the slots where the meatball usually is, but if you notice, the artist draws all the normal X-wing helmets that way. So no go on a new helmet ... the artist is just too ignorant or too lazy to bother to get the details right.

DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just playing around with some Chest box parts......

David L.
cujo3131 (Matt Duncan)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks pretty close on DW... though the grey of the box might need to be darker... but I think your definitely on the right track...

Cujo
DroidWelder ()

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: More fun with chest box parts! Reply with quote

A more traditional looking box with pinstripe using the green buttons and rockers.

Even if it never gets to be approvable, I think it makes a neat looking box!

David L.
G'nott sH'urr (David Campbell)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The automotiveworkwear/redkap black coveralls are more of a very dark grey, than black. This is what I have for my TIE coveralls and finally after a while I dyed them black again. Using two of these coveralls ( I use the model CT10 for my standardized 501st conversion) you will get a very dark grey coverall. Under lighting the color will be almost charcoal. After several washes the color will begin to fade. I have not used color remover, so I cannot comment on the effect this would have.

Concerning the vest, would a 181st style grey vest be allowed? or would the vest be required to be constructed in black? Wampawear has a brilliant grey vest. We have several in both grey and white here.

The twin bloodstripes on the arm show up to be darker than the 181st's bloodstripe. 181st TIE squadron measurements are standardized at 1" to 1/14" depending upon the wearers body mass. This looks to be about 3/8" wide.

The helmet looks like a typical X wing helmet to me, just with slots. Some quality time with my dremel would make that and then get backed with plastic on the inside.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> EU Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: