About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=19f046a96cd651e156dc77875259590cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Mesh Undersuit Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:47 am    Post subject: Mesh Undersuit Question Reply with quote

I'm making the mesh under suit for another Rebel Legion member.

But I need a question answered, since I'm new to the wookiee suit scene.

Should I use a t-poodoo pattern or a baseball shirt pattern for the top? Or does it not matter?

My first thought was t-poodoo but now I'm second guessing myself. Help!

Need this answered ASAP!

Thanks

No longer active.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long sleeve shirt is good and extend the sleeves BEYOND the persons real hands. His shirt is going to have to have longer sleeves so his arms are long enough compared to his final height in the suit. Too many people forget this and have the short stubby arm look for the wookiee.

Add 9 inches Extra length to the sleeve from the wrist. If the person want to alter that when latch hooking they can. They can always cut some off if necessary.

Also keep the length of the shirt longer at the bottom, waist area. Again to make up for the longer leg appearance. The shirt should appear longer around the waist to keep the legs appearance normal and not looking too long when in the full suit.

Hope this helps...

Chewy Layers snow to print
RIVETHEAD ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the weight of my top made it necessary to add more mesh to the neck area, once it was hooked. Not sure if anyone has any recommendations for the neck portion, but I have seen photos here of people's mesh tops with a bit of a high collar to make sure it doesn't pull down too much.
Eiyame (Freya)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the helpful information. It will help me so much.

Though I still need a judgement call on the style of shirt.

No longer active.
Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basic pullover long sleeve shirt pattern. Nothing fancy. Make the neck opening strong and reinforce it because once the hair is on it, it will stretch a bit.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Kallabeccani (Angela Basinger)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We made my mesh shirt out of a long sleeved t-shirt and put a turtleneck style collar on it that was split in the back to allow my head to get through the opening. I did it in the back because the long hair from my mask will hide that better as well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to give my suggestions based on how I made my mesh suit and figured this thread was as good as any to do it in. (I apologize up front if I'm hi-jacking)

I'm a sewing novice! I recently bought a sewing machine and had NO knowledge of how to use it before I made my suit. Well, I did practice on scrap fabrics but the wookiee under-suit was my first real project.

THE PANTS:
What I did is completely disassembled a pair of Dickies pants that were pretty worn out but still fit properly. Basically I used a seam ripper and ripped out the inseams and the outer seams. What you are left with is now FOUR pieces of pants: a front left, a rear left, a front right and a rear right.

I then rolled out some paper to draw a pattern on (I used the paper you get at the hardware store that you tape down before you paint). I then measured around my feet while wearing the stilts so I could get an accurate circumference of how wide the feet should be. And also around the stilts support. I then traced the pants on the paper (adjusting for the wider base and wider lower leg). I traced an extra 1/2" around the pattern for the "seam allowance".

Using the pattern I cut out all four pieces of mesh suit. Definitely LABEL the four pieces: front left, a rear left, a front right and a rear right (I used masking tape). If you don't the pieces can get mixed up and it's a pain to figure out which is what.

I then sewed the outside and inside seams of the left back and front Then did the same for the right front and back. What did is use a 3/8" wide black cloth ribbon and sandwiched it between the pieces of mesh when sewing. Using a short length stitch on the sewing machine I went to town. You should now essentially have "two separate legs".

Now sewing the front (where the zipper would be), the crotch, and the butt is tricky. Basically I used this video to sew the two legs together:
Making Pyjama Pants Part 1

Now here is the cool part, once I have the pants ready to go, I folded over the waistband just a 1/2" and using 550 Paracord and a wooden kabob skewer, I weaved a drawstring around the waist band allowing it to be tied in the front like sweat pants. For those of you who know "paracord" this stuff is tuff. Not only can you tighten the pants up like sweatpants, but it makes a good point to attach your suspenders.

THE SHIRT:
I just found a t-shirt that fit well, not skin tight but not too loose. I used the same paper roll to draw a pattern. Unlike the pants, I did not have to disassemble the shirt, I just traced around it leaving a 1/2" seam allowance. I then measured the length my arms from shoulder to tips of fingers (because you want that extra length). I then cut out a front and back out of my mesh and two sleeves. I then sewed all the seems together using the the 3/8" ribbon I mentioned above. In the neck area I just stopped sewing the seam from the shoulder to about 3" from the center of the shirt (where the neck hole would be). Then I would put on the shirt and if my head didn't fit through the hole, I would snip the shoulder seams (at the neck) in each direction one mesh-hole at a time to my head just barely fit through (without pain LOL).

To solve the dreaded "neck/collar" stretching and reinforcement problem, I whipped out more paracord and again using a wooden BBQ skewer, I weaved around the neck/collar with paracord tying it in the back of the neck (of course make sure your head will go in and out the hole before tying the paracord knot!)..

Anyhow this is how I made my mesh suit. Unfortunately I have not finished latch hooking the hair to it, but so far all the seams and paracord are holding up like a champ and I tested their strength pretty violently. Keep in mind I used black laundry bag style mesh, not the collins cottage mesh. I'm not sure if these techniques would work on that mesh. I know for sure you could not use paracord in that mesh as the holes are too small.

Remember I'm a sewing NOVICE, so don't feel you have to seek out a professional tailor. If you have access to a $70 sewing machine and some thread, you could probably do this yourself. The good news is your seams just have to be strong NOT PRETTY. Remember the hair will cover up all your ugly stitching..

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: