Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=59d972b970c3a0bd557e1877555a2933Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Ewok Village Leia

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FallenJedisLady ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:20 pm    Post subject: Ewok Village Leia Reply with quote

This is specifically about the hair. What is the best way to getting the look? The braid? Any good tutorials out there someone can link me too? How did anyone go about recreating the look?

I'd think it's very simple to recreate. The overall wave is done by doing the Endor style and letting it down. But the braided headband is what's throwing me off.

Mandalorian Mercs - #0758 - Risika Skirata
Rebel Legion -
Dark Empire - FallenJedisLady -
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carrie Fisher is wearing a 3/4 wig, so if you were planning on doing a wig and have the right color hair, it's easiest to pin/sew it onto the front of the 3/4 wig. When doing the camo look, I took a section of hair that was under the ear, braided it, (here you'd wrap the suede straps around it) crossed them over the top of the head where the wig starts, and obviously you'd let them hang instead of folding them under. It might be best to do these by adding in longer extensions because this will take up more hair than you think. For the overall wave, I'd put all the hair first into several braids (not too skinny, not too thin). Natural hair if you wet it and let it air dry it should stay with this texture, if it's a wig I'd pour warm water over it and let it dry.

Hope that helps!

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wigs and extensions are out of budget. I'm trying to find something we both like for our wedding, and FallenJedi likes the Ewok Village Leia. I also have naturally long hair and need ideas of what I can pull off easily.

Rebel Legion -
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I did my Ewok village Leia outfit, I used my own hair (which is medium/long and naturally curly) and a braid on a headband. I bought an extension from Doctored Locks for less than $5 (Kanekalon Jumbo Braid). I took part of it, braided it, wrapped it with leather strapping, and hand-stitched it to the headband.

Princess Sandy ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a long full wig for mine, but if this is for a wedding, then you may do whatever you think looks best. Smile
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the style is two braids crossed to opposite sides of where they start. Both braids start on top of her head; one on the left side of where a middle part is, the other on the right side. They are then wrapped in cord, folded over to the other side (hiding their beginning) and hanging down the sides. A couple of pins would be needed to hold this in place on top of your head/sides.
At least that would be how you do it with your own hair. I posted some pictures of me doing this style with my own hair last summer in another Ewok Village Leia thread. I gave up doing this style with my own hair as I do not have enough hair to pull it off. They gave Leia both thick hair and a lot of hair, so most will have trouble pulling off Leia's styles properly with just their own hair.

Carrie Fisher had her braids attached to a hairband (I have a picture where you can see the hairband), so the method is slightly different, but still two braids crossed and then hanging loose from the sides and down.

You can see the two braids here: (remember you'll need to reload for the pic to show).
http://padawansguide.com/originaltrilogy/ewok11.jpg

And because I realized it would be rude to tell you I did this style without showing it, here's a pic from last summer:

As you can see my braids got too thin so I dropped the idea again. But if you can pull it off, then do it! Amadalia

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lora is right, I didn't mention that when I replied, but I used two braids (extensions) overlapping slightly at the top/middle to hide the ends for my headband. This method works really well for me since I have very thick hair.

Here's a picture of how thick my hair is (although not quite long enough) from the "Last Tour To Endor" party at Disney World (man, my son looks so little!!)

FallenJedisLady ()

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow those were helpful. I guess I'll be experimenting with my own hair. I can't afford wigs and extensions. =/ My hair's nearly my butt, all long, straight and begging for style! Thank you guys! Smile

Rebel Legion -
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are some pretty inexpensive hair extensions/braids. Check out Three Muses Clothing or any wig store in your area.
Princess Leah ()
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to buy hair from overseas on ebay. You can get a lot of bang for your buck that way.
Lora Skywalker ()
Base Membership Officer

Rebelthon2020 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Otherwise Kanekalon hair is pretty cheap. Smile I bought a pack for my braid and it's just a few bucks. But if you can do it with your own hair, then you should. Very Happy

I'm hoping we can use each other's WIP threads for inspiration and help as we get more done.

Let us see a pic of you doing the braids once you try experimenting with them.

Nordic Base BMO | DL of Aurora Delegation | CRC | She/Her They/Them

RLGS Detachment website: http://www.senate.rebellegion.com/

Princess Liz Fett (Liz Welsh)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 1:15 am    Post subject: Ewok Leia hair Reply with quote

I have a suggestion for the braid on top Smile maybe you can buy two of these braids, tie them together, and then add suede cord. Also, to keep them securely on your head, pin them to a headband.
http://www.threemusesclothing.com/servlet/the-1156/hair-braid-extension-synthetic/Detail
Hope this helps Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: