About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7ed2f47ff12a6392d621fe4f2574784dMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Introduction
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:34 pm    Post subject: Introduction Reply with quote

Hello all,
I have just applied to Rebel Legion and signed up with the forum. I wanted to take a minute to introduce myself.
I am a life long Star Wars fan. Born in 1978, I do not know life before Star Wars and lived and breathed it as a kid. After high school I attended a theater school in Chicago and studied to be a costume tech. I never did finish school, (life got in the way) and had to change career paths, but I did learn how to sew and have made good use of it as a hobby (ren-faire mostly).
I live in Joliet with my wife and two boys. The boys' new interest in Star Wars is what rekindled my love of it and so...here I am.
I am looking forward to joining your ranks as a Jedi. I apologzie in advance for typos. I can do almost anything with my hands from sewing to welding...but typing is my weak spot.
Later.
Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome neighbor!
need any help let me know, I think we live very close to each other
I look forward to trooping with you Smile if I can ever get back out there (work sucks Smile )

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st

Last edited by Crix () on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!
Kurodor (David Obaidallah)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the winning side!

Ranger Squad CO
TK/ID - 4185 MWG
Woulf ()
Nar Shaddaa Base CO
Nar Shaddaa Base CO

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Nar Shaddaa Base Thumbs up

Nar Shaddaa Base CO
Outlaw Squadron CO

"Take my love. Take my land. Take me where I cannot stand. I don't care, I'm still free. You can't take the sky from me."
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Medals: 11 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Base....
AWESOME!! Joliet! Another local boy....lol..
CO Jim lives in Orland Park
XO Crix lives in Joliet..
and I am a stones throw away in Mokena
It goes without saying that we would love to have you join us at the Rebel Base for the Joliet Star Wars Day event on June 1.

I am one of the Jedi judges and saw your application in there shortly after you submitted it.

Since you are from my Base, I am not eligible to judge your costume...
conflict of interest and all....
lol..
but...
I can let you know a few things that I see about your costume.

First off, I LOVE your boots!! I also love the fact that you went with the scarf style tabard...I keep meaning to do that on one of my Jedi costumes. And the rest of your costume looks first rate....
and..
now the
butts...

For one, where the turtleneck is allowed, the gray color kind of socks you in the eye. When I looked at your application...honestly...that was the first thing I saw. It would be better if you could swap out the gray mock turtleneck with either a brown or tan....that would help the general cohesive look and then the undertunic would not be something to draw the eye...better to draw the eye to some of your other great elements.

The only other problem is your cape. Generic Jedi standards call for robes and not capes. Jedi robes for Generic Jedi are really "big"...
big in as much as they have a lot of volume to them...the sleeves are huge, the robe should just about touch the floor and the hood is also so large that when the hood is in the down position, the hood should go to at least your waist...and when the hood is up...it should "puddle" on your shoulders...
like this:

Robes are an optional item so having a robe is really not necessary...
but..
what is necessary is that you have 3 optional items from this list:

1. Large Jedi robe or cloak, similar to movie canon robes/cloaks, in allowed color palette, with attached hood.
2. Leather or leather-like belt pouches (at least 2)
3. Full or false inner tunic in similar color scheme as outer tunic (dickie / full & mock turtlenecks, mandarin style collars ok). If optional inner tunic is used and long sleeved, then outer tunic may be sleeveless.
4. Food pellets (at least one set of 4).
5. A-99 Aqua breather.
6. Jedi communicator.
7. Droid caller.

So, since the cape will not meet standard...we can't count that as one of the 3 items...

You do have the undertunic and also the 2 pouches, but you will need a 3rd item from the list.

Rather than replace the cape (which would be expensive), the easiest thing to probably do would be to make food capsules. You can make them with pen caps. The original Staedtler pen caps are no longer available, but you can use other similar ones. I have an old tutorial up here:

http://www.thejediassembly.com/tutorials.php?id=ik7

whew...
some welcome post...
lol..

Anyway..hopefully what I posted above will help..

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Schph Gochi
Thanks for the input. I will wait to hear from the judges and go from there. If I have to change something, I will do what I can.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

Gold Star (Amount: 2)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tymae Yarmoo wrote:
@Schph Gochi
Thanks for the input. I will wait to hear from the judges and go from there. If I have to change something, I will do what I can.

And I am close by and can assist you with most things...
I might even have a spare "cheater" undertunic...

Make sure to post what the judges say you need..
we can get it to you ...

Very Happy

Crix ()
Active Legion Member

Rebel Legion CV Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whatever you do, dont give up if it gets denied. hopefully it wont.
I am sure we can figure something out to help you.

CO of The 'Verse (firefly/Serenity costume club)
SL/TK/IC 4913 of the 501st
Vadersblade (Robert)
Active Legion Member

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Base! If you need anything, please let us know! Phyllis is the Master Jedi around here!
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome. Like Crix said said, don't get discouraged if it gets denied the first time. The Legion wants our costumes to be tip top. When I applied with my Leia, I had to submit additional photos and then change a few things. Smile
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all of the words of encouragment. I still have not heard from the judges. I was confident and proud of what I made but now I am on pins and needles.
Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte): since you live so close and offered your assistance, I might take you up on that when I get my judgement results. I do not want to have to re-work things more than needed. And since you are a costume judge...who better to help. Perhaps you and I can talk off the forum and I can explain some of my concept and design choices to help you help me.
Thanks to all and I will keep you posted.
New Guy out.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your costume IS nicely done...no two ways about it...
the only issue is the cape....
and that can be rendered a moot point by adding the food capsules as an optional ...
the mock style undertunic is just an asthetics thing...and really is approvable as is...

I am pretty sure that I have a spare "dickie style" undertunic for you...
and...
if I am not mistaken...I have some spare food capsules already done...you only need 4 and I am sure I have 4 spare ones...

that will be all you will need...
so we can handle it
no worries...

Very Happy

Tymae Yarmoo ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schph Gochi wrote:
Your costume IS nicely done...no two ways about it...
the only issue is the cape....
and that can be rendered a moot point by adding the food capsules as an optional ...
the mock style undertunic is just an asthetics thing...and really is approvable as is...

I am pretty sure that I have a spare "dickie style" undertunic for you...
and...
if I am not mistaken...I have some spare food capsules already done...you only need 4 and I am sure I have 4 spare ones...

that will be all you will need...
so we can handle it
no worries...

Very Happy
Thanks for the pointers. I did make an under tunic but it did not come out right (couldn't be seen under the over tunic). I needed a break from sewing so I used the turtle-neck. By the time of your first event, I might have enough time to remake an under tunic. I think I am going to make a point to do so since I think the turtle neck will be kind of hot in June!! I wanted to make one with the mandarin style collar so if you have any pointers (ie known acceptable patterns), I am all ears.

As far as the cloak, right or wrong, I think it will be too hot in the summer. I may need to pick your brain about finding a light weight mateial that still looks correct and hangs properly. I have a few I ideas I would like to run by you before I go to Joann's (my regular hangout as a recently). I may need to get with you to discuss the pattern as well.

What does RL consider a "droid caller". I see that is an option, too. I do have a small flashlight on my belt (opposite my saber) in a horizontal holder I made. I never considered it anything more than a greebee (is that the right word?) to fill in space on my belt. It is silver and I glued a metal slug over the lense so it just looks like a metal tube with a button on it. And the button has a checker pattern on it that actually looks like a speaker/ microphone. Not sure if this would count, but if it does, I might have enough add ons as is. If not, I will borrow those food caps until I get up to snuff. Thanks again.
Nar Shaddaa Base XO
Nar Shaddaa Base XO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the droid caller that Han Solo used...it is a piece from the New Republic Jedi standards when they were separate from Old Republic Jedi...
now
generic Jedi are all grouped into one.

http://www.doopydoos.com/han-solo-replica-droid-caller-11-scale-kobold-flash-208-p.asp

http://nex-concept-works.blogspot.com/2006/11/my-real-han-solo-anh-droid-caller.html

Old Republic Jedi more often had the communicators:

here is my communicator....right before I finished it...weird...I don't have a photo of it finished:

Those Gillete Sensor razors for women are really hard to find now...that is what the unit is made from.

Again...
a robe is not required...it is one of the optional items...
I have one...but I rarely ever wear it..
as you noted...
too hot.

I used to also wear full undertunics...
also very hot...
so now I have a dickie style undertunic and made separate undertunic sleeves....
I LOVE that...
but...
that is always up to the individual...the dickie style undertunic piece has a higher collar than a usual Jedi tunic neckband which allow it to show up under the outer tunic.

As far as Mandarin collar...
I have a pattern for a mandarin collar shirt that I used for my Naboo Pilot...
I was just a woman's pattern for a shirt and a mandarin style collar was one of the views...
it is this pattern:

I used the pattern on the right

and here is what the Naboo Pilot mandarin collared shirt looks like:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Nar Shaddaa Base All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: