Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=e22ced50345a976bf61bec342b4c3177Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Han Solo ANH build log
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScruffyLookin' ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:45 am    Post subject: Han Solo ANH build log Reply with quote

So I've decided I'm going to attempt to build a legion approved ANH Han Solo. And I'm starting with the blaster and holster! I've got a Denix replica on hand, with some (not all, as I missed the first run) of the machined parts for the conversion kit from the RPF on the way. I'm still in need of a scope mount and grill, and a more accurate flash suppressor. The one I bought was on clearance as it only has six rows of holes as opposed to eight. That will be upgraded soon.

Anyways, I've got the holster parts in various stages, from cut out, sewn, and some already dyed. Like this, the actual holster.

So before I get too far, here's the pictures of the holster. It's much less red/more brown in person. If anyone notices anything that needs to be fixed, by all means let me know. I have more leather if I need to remake anything. Thanks!!

Greg
jedimika ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 5 (View more...)
Celebration Europe 2 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good.
Looking forward to your build.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:58 am    Post subject: Version 2.0, baby! Reply with quote

So. I wasn't satisfied with that holster; the stitching was wonky, the dye job was rubbish, and the general shape and fit of the whole thing left much to be desired. But after reading MANY different builds on here, especially Brian's (CaptSolo77) build log, I decided to redo everything.

And here are the results.

And here are the pouches, obviously not sewn on

So, I'm feeling good about this, and wrap the holster in blue low tack tape to hold its shape, and when I take off the tape, I panic! The tape has pulled up some of the dye! So, I take my buffing rag, and after a few good once overs I notice it creates a very nice, worn effect. So I strageticly tape and pull up on the edges, and where it would naturally wear. Talk about a happy accident! Check it out!

Thoughts??
Havok69 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good so far. I would make sure to move the placement of the tie down strap (over the pistol handle area) a little to the left, as compared to your original build though.
ScruffyLookin' ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually, I have to remake the holster AGAIN. Once my parts came in to modify my Mauser, I found out that I made it just slightly too small and tight. Which was just the excuse I needed to remake it, as I still wasn't fond of how red the holster was, especially for an ANH styled blaster.

Stay tuned, smugglers.
grey_starr (Daniel)
Archived Member Profile

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is looking awesome to me! The holster is something I really need to make too Confused
ScruffyLookin' ()

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slight update- I figured I'd give building the tools in his belt from scratch a try. Here are the pictures. I may eventually upgrade to Corellian Exports, but these should do for now to get me into the legion. So let me know what you think!

ScruffyLookin' ()

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's my completed DL-44. I tried to replicate the weathering and scratches of the screen used prop the best I could, while also adding some realistic weathering from two different shades of paint drybrushing as well as rubbing a burnt umber pastel onto the surface to create grime. Tell me what you think!

ScruffyLookin' ()

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a better shot of my blaster. I know the scope reticle isn't screen accurate, but I wanted it to have a bit more SW flair.

And here's my finished holster, as well (there's a thread in the trading section if anyone is interested)

ScruffyLookin' ()

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I'm the only one keeping this thread alive!

Anyways, here's my finished holster, with the five pound behemoth of an all metal blaster! It's cut properly enough to where it doesn't feel like its pulling it down, although ill probably get a lightweight doopydoos resin "trooping" blaster and leave this bad boy at home.

ScruffyLookin' ()

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, what do you guys think? Can I pull of a passable Han??

sze-wan ()

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

definately.
CaptSolo77 (Brian)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Scruffy-Lookin,

You're not the only one keeping the thread alive...I've been watching and meaning to comment, just haven't had time.

Your belt looks AWESOME!! Really great work! I also like your scratch-built relay thingies, very similar to the ones I built. Your blaster also looks great!! If you don't mind my asking, where did you get the reticle? It came off the Master Replicas version, it's the same as the one on my ESB version. I'd like to get one to add to my other blasters, if they're available somewhere.

It took me a second to realize you were taking photos of yourself in the mirror...at first I thought you had built the belt backwards. Glad it came out so good. What are your plans for the rest of the costume??

I think you'll make a fine Solo, and welcome addition to the Brotherhood of Smugglers.

Keep your friends close, and your blaster closer.

CaptSolo77
ScruffyLookin' ()

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much! I used your belt pouches tutorials for my belt. They were incredibly helpful and easy to use.

For the rest, it's again up to me. I'm sewing everything; pants with embroidered bloodstripes, riding seam, and pintuck, off white knit shirt, and black twill vest. I don't know what I'm going to do about the boots. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get 11.5 boots??

Here's all the reticles I have. I got them off the RPF, but share and use!

Blair (Vlastimil Sprta)
Lion Base CO
Lion Base CO

Medals: 4 (View more...)
Boston Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of us also just observing Wink ... but we are here Wink

Lion Base Commanding Officer | Docking Bay 94 Detachment Executive Officer
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Han Solo and Other Smugglers All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: