About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=75ad5833f40c0a3d24f150f6a17df626Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

"There's too many of them!" Y-Wing WIP
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: "There's too many of them!" Y-Wing WIP Reply with quote

Hey folks! After seeing Jeff's awesome build (and knowing someone makes a solid helmet), I'm going to start a Return of the Jedi Y-Wing pilot. I'll be posting my progress on this thread, so feel free to comment and give constructive criticism along the way.

* * * * The helmet.

I will probably be going with this helmet's paint scheme simply because it was on the Star Wars Musical Experience tour in 2009, so there are ample photo references at every angle.

The front chin portion of the helmet has a faded/battered sticker. This quote is from superjedi's build on the RPF.

Quote:
On the chin of the screen used helmet are the remnants of a sticker. From what I've read it's a "Radio Free Bolinas" sticker that came from an old pirate radio station in Bolinas, CA. I've seen a graphic of the complete sticker, and there's a big white "RFB" on a red background with Radio Free Bolinas in a curve around the top.

This sticker was used on the chin of two helmets.

The helmet I've chosen also has this bird-like design on the right-hand side of the chin.

I already have the fabric for the flak vest (and I'll be referencing Jeff's prints on his page here) and the 2" white webbing for the harness and belt.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion

Last edited by Commander Cody (Jason R.) on Thu Mar 21, 2013 8:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
seven skulls ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your build.
Which bucket are you going to be working with?
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Dex off of the RPF is selling the helmet. Same one mentioned here.

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the Y-wing pilot is getting a lot of interest lately.
Good luck with it!

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bespin Phillips (Bren Phillips)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: decals Reply with quote

I think I still have those decals in a jpeg for stencils for the free radio bolinas and the blue/red bird from my build. if you want, I can post them or pm you the jpegs.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: decals Reply with quote

Bespin Phillips wrote:
I think I still have those decals in a jpeg for stencils for the free radio bolinas and the blue/red bird from my build. if you want, I can post them or pm you the jpegs.

That would be great! Maybe add it to the RotJ Y/W reference thread in this sub-forum?

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, if you can PM them to me, I'll add them to the RLSC Pilot Archive we're working on. Cool

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 8:52 pm    Post subject: decals Reply with quote

they should be ok to print out on A4 paper . if anyone wants them edited or resized just let me know. or if you need any other decals, I can make them up for you.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, Bren! I'll be sure to use those as a reference when my helmet arrives Smile

Separate topic: Not sure if this has been discussed before (if it has, my apologies), but I noticed the Y/W chest box has two holes on it's left side. This makes me believe this could originally have been some type of battery casing. My old hand-held camera's charge cord had a box of similar shape, size, and two holes in that location.

Thoughts?

HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, that details never been noticed before (or at least brought up.) Good eye!

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you're welcome Jason.
quick question. you said you were getting your helmet from Dex, is that a Richies kit or another vendor? I ask because I didn't like the ridges and flat chin on the Richies helmet so I modified it to look more screen accurate. it's much more labour intensive than the superjedi build.
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's another vendor. You can see his WIP thread here.

Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
Thank you, Bren! I'll be sure to use those as a reference when my helmet arrives Smile

Separate topic: Not sure if this has been discussed before (if it has, my apologies), but I noticed the Y/W chest box has two holes on it's left side. This makes me believe this could originally have been some type of battery casing. My old hand-held camera's charge cord had a box of similar shape, size, and two holes in that location.

Thoughts?
It may just be me, but I think it may have been an old speaker of some kind, similar to the old drive-in movie speakers, but not exactly. That's what it's looked like to me for quite some time...
(Or possibly even an older radio or walkie-talkie. Something, perhaps, similar to this or this.)

If you zoom in closely in the picture below (as well as others) you'll notice that there's a circle cut in between the ribbing on the box. This could have been where the speaker parts where and where the sound came from.

This could also explain those black holes you pointed out. Maybe those are dials or knobs? Or perhaps an antenna was once in one of those?

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Commander Cody wrote:
It's another vendor. You can see his WIP thread here.

WOW!! what a bucket. it's about time someone made a more accurate version. I hope when he does the visor, he uses the purple/pink colour instead of the amber colur that Richies comes with. have you got yours yet ? or do you know when these will be available and what price are they? I'd love to do another one but I couldn't go through all that modifying like the last time. that Dex's bucket looks like you could put it together and have it painted in no time.

I think you're right about the chestbox, it could well be something like one of these...

ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bren,
Dex made the pink and the amber visor! You can became from him whatever color you wish.Its a fantastic helmet.Here are mine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: