About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f9dc2cc550f91a7181cb7345be8ef9eaMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Y-Wing Pilot
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:51 am    Post subject: New Y-Wing Pilot Reply with quote

Hi guys!
I’ve made a few posts but have never formally introduced myself. My name is Jeff and after years of painting X-Wing helmets, I’m ready to display my new Y-Wing Costume.
First off, special shout out to Blue Banshee Leader for providing me with some greeblies and for me to look at what he did with spats, leg harness, etc. Thanks buddy!
Now, I’ve gone in a completely different direction from the previous Y-Wing Pilots. For a while now we’ve gone under the assumption that the Y-Wing vest was a modified B-Wing vest with a belly tube, and that is the standard according to the Rebel Legion requirements. However, new information and a detailed description from Skaught posted here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35347&highlight=

As well as new pictures posted by MILF_Viper posted here:

http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44325

Have led me to the conclusion that the vest is a modified A-Wing flak vest with a belly pouch.

Here’s the costume, and my breakdown.

Flak Vest: As mentioned, A-wing flak vest, stuffed with two layers of batting and a 1”x3”x20” foam layer in the midsection. The belly pouch is stuffed with 2” foam. The vest is made of white nylon, backed with the same tan material as the spats to give it an off white look. It has three ribs on the shoulder, the 1” hanging buckle, and ribbing across the top. The chest box is well known to us. As for the rest of the greeblies I had to use my imagination, despite Skaught’s description. When I could, I used known Star Wars tech. On vest right, there is a pocket with a “radio” in it. It’s a complete fabrications using a self made plastic box, toilet shims and one half of an aerator. On the pocket is a B-Wing greeblie in place of a circuit board of some king. On vest left is a pocket, and I used a Hoth Officer Badge. If it worked for X-wing Pilots on Hoth, why not Y-Wing pilots on Endor? The four greeblies at the bottom: and oval, another B-Wing greeblie (which I believe IS accurate) and two identical black plastic squares. The belly pouch is U shapes, and in the pocket I used a modified Hoth Enlisted Badge, decorating it with more toilet shims and the other half of the aerator. I used 2” white straps. I thought, from an artistic stand point, it would match the belt and harness and add a level of texture. I weathered the vest, but after looking at my own pictures, I realize it needs more weathering to really show. For the weathering, I doused it with watered down black acrylic paint and wiped and smeared with a paper towel. The hose is covered with white cotton and attached with a basin gasket. The other end is stuffed under the left side of the vest, as it appears they do in the movie.

Belt: 2” white strapping with a black, 2” buckle on the back. I have six belt flares, and the two triangles center. I couldn’t help but to add my X-wing belt buckle on the left for flare.
Harness: 2” white strapping with silver buckles from Strapworks.

Spats: 13” tan and weathered with misting spray paint. I used batting too. Black Buclkes attached.

Flightsuit: Gray, from MonCal. Best deal in the world, price wise and accuracy! I have the Compad and shoulder cylinders even though the Y-wings most likely didn’t have them in RotJ. But, the more flare, the better I say. And they certainly had them at Yavin, despite their orange suits.

Gloves: Bought from the Rebel Legion boards.

Helmet: I got the kit offered by Dex over at the Dented Helmet. It’s very expensive compared to Richies, and it ships from merry ol’ England, but Dex is a super nice guy, and you can see from the pics, its deadly accurate. I figured the price was worth not having to spend a lot of time modifying the Richies. It’s made of high quality heavy resin and fiberglass. It feels heavy enough to be impact resistant! It’s also huge. I’m 6’1” and I have 2” of foam in front and 4” of foam in back to make it fit. But, I believe they were that large in the films too.

As far as the belly tube is concerned, until I see it in more than one picture, and know it's purpose to the costume, I'm not including it. My guess is that the two pilots seen with it in the movie were the only ones that actually had it. It clearly wasn't attached to the vest. One pilot seemed to have it resting on his lap, hence the myth of the belly tube, but the other had it resting on the seat next to him. The hose appeared to be attached to it. Since the other pilots had no tube, they simply stuffed it into their vests. That's my theory anyway.

I haven’t formally submitted for approval, because as of now, this costume does not fit the requirements according to the Rebel Legion. But, I believe thanks to the new information available from Skaught and MILF_Viper, this is a more accurate version. And I say that meaning no offense and with the highest respect. You guys are the true pathfinders that I’ve learned so much from by staring for hours at all the pics posted here, deciding what to do. No doubt, someone will make a better version than mine.
So, I leave it up to the forum to decide whether I’ve done good or whether I am completely in the wrong ballpark.

Thanks for your comments!

Jeff
[/img]
YFront by Birgle38, on Flickr[img] π[/img]
[img]
YLeft by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
YBack by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[/img]
YRight by Birgle38, on Flickr[img]π
[/img]
[img]
YVest by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
YHelm by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
YPose2 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
YPose3 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]

Last edited by Birgle38 (Jeff Harris) on Thu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah, here I am flying a Y-wing. Yeehaaa!
[img]
YWCP3 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π

Last edited by Birgle38 (Jeff Harris) on Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Okami Dai ()
Alpine Outpost CO
Alpine Outpost CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, great costume!
Perfect job on this "gray one", I love it!

And nice photo job, too... Cool

Congrats!
A-Wing Pilot
Jedi Knight
jedimasterbatty (Björn Westin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome job! Love that vest!
Delta5Actual ()

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nicely done! Love the Y-Wing pilot look. Congrats and get out there in formation, flyboy! Razz
PrimitiveTodd ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your work is fantastic...I am amazed at the vest and helmet detail!!!

Awing

"Any pilot who volunteers to fly an A-wing better be brave or crazy. Probably helps to be a little of both."
―General Han Solo
WedgeAntilles (James Norman)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic.
Commander Cody (Jason R.)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work and well done on all of your research, Jeff. I hope the Legion Costume Judges and Detachment Officers will take your research into consideration when reviewing our own standards.

Again, well done!

RAID Commanding Officer | Legion Costume Judge- Rebel Troopers & Officers | Ohio Garrison XO, 501st Legion
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heck yeah we will ... this looks like it might be the break we need. Now to just get some tutorials out of Jeff.

Nice work Jeff and expect an incoming PM!

Commander Cody wrote:
Great work and well done on all of your research, Jeff. I hope the Legion Costume Judges and Detachment Officers will take your research into consideration when reviewing our own standards.

Again, well done!

Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I appreciate it!
Here's some more pics on what I did for the vest. Sorry, it's not really a good tutorial. Truthfully, I made up a lot of things as I was going, and my patterns weren't precise (especially the belly pouch), nor did they fit perfectly. But, that might be because I'm not much of a tailor. So, if anyone tries to use this, don't be alarmed if the process is frustrating. It was for me too! Here's the tutorial I used for the pockets:
http://costumesandartwork.blogspot.com/2009/04/hoth-tan-vest.html
The measurements are for someone my size, a 42" chest, so make them work for you. The belly pouch should be as long as the top of the vest. For me, it was 14".
[img]
YVP1 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
Belly Pouch by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
1 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
2 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
3 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
4 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
5 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
6 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
7 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
[img]
8 by Birgle38, on Flickr[/img]π
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, so this is what you were using my greeblies for. I was wondering!

It looks like the costume came out great. You did an awesome job with it. Honestly, I don't see any reason why this wouldn't be accepted as a formal costume, I think it looks very accurate. Though I notice you didn't put the black strip around the middle of the vest but used greeblies instead... Interesting choice, never thought of that.

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Alex! I'm not convinced the back strap exists. The real flak vest seems to have a squared off bottom above the belly pouch. You can see it clearly in the picture MILF-Viper posted. I think this, along with weathering, created a shadow. And since the best looks of the whole flak vest in the film are distant fuzzy screen-caps, the shadow comes off as something more tangible. Again, I could be totally wrong. I plan to weather my vest more so you can see it dirty in the pics and we'll see if I can re-create the phantom black strap. That sounds like a pirate curse ....
CT-9494 (Joe)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great work, Jeff! You really put a lot of time and effort into your kit. It looks fantastic.

CT/TI-9494
Commanding Officer
Dune Sea Garrison
Birgle38 (Jeff Harris)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody! By the way, does anyone know where I can get a brown holster that fits a DH-17? Preferably one that won't break the bank. It's the only thing I need. Much appreciated!
ywingfighter (Frank)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow ,great and accurate work! I had a Dex helmet to and plan to build a complete costume in near future.Where is the chestbox comming from?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Y-Wing Pilots All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: