About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=164d82445e94d43b8c6cc2bed451e920Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Fullface silicone mask or 50/50 using latch hook material?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Fullface silicone mask or 50/50 using latch hook material? Reply with quote

So as I near the finish line of my sculpt, I keep realizing how much and how heavy a full face silicone mask would be. A good Chewie sculpt has a real high forehead (on mine about 8"), but that it basically wasted silicone and hair punching IMO. Not to mention just more silicone you have to figure out how to attach to the underskull.

I was wondering what is the feasibility of bringing the "netting" from the top and back of the head further down the forehead and just stop above the eyesockets? Basically the eyebrows to the bottom of the chin would be silicone. My only worry would be the blending of the hair in the netting and the hair in the mask.

Anyhow, just curious what others think about this idea.

Checkout my Chewbacca Facebook page for pictures and videos.
GotWookiee (Matt Pfingsten)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine I brought my silicone up to the mid-forehead and ended it there. Bear in mind you only need to use hair punching on the last little bit near the hairline. You can lay the hair in with adhesive. This is how the RotS Wooks were done (using Prosaide if memory serves).

I know Marty only made a very small portion of his mask rubber (foam latex in his case rather than silicone), the majority of his mask is the urethane foam underskull with the hair glued directly to it.

But yeah, you have the right idea. At a minimum you want the nose, lips and mouth, and the eye sockets I think.
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GotWookiee wrote:
On mine I brought my silicone up to the mid-forehead and ended it there. Bear in mind you only need to use hair punching on the last little bit near the hairline. You can lay the hair in with adhesive. This is how the RotS Wooks were done (using Prosaide if memory serves).

Wow?! So are you saying I can glue down the hair to the silicone mask and then just punch at the edges (hairline)? It sounds like that would work because you work in layers back to front (kinda like shingles on a roof). Then that last level will be punched and brushed over.

I know that in Ducks Tutorial he uses "silpoxy":

Also here is his diagram of laying hair down with hot glue right to the skull:

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use contact cement on all my masks to attach the hair. The whole top of the head to the face. I only have a nose and mouth appliance made from silicone or foam latex...not the whole face and forehead. I have only had to hair punch the last 2 row around the nose and mouth.

I can not imagine hair punching the whole face and forehead to only hairspray the heck out of it to hold it down. Seems like a lot of extra work and then soo many masks I see have trouble with the hair falling forward.

Contact cementing the whole head and face allows you to place the hair and aim the "roots in any direction you need. I never have to worry about hair being pulled out when grooming or falling foreward when I move or look down.

Chewy Layers snow to print
Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wookiewannabe wrote:
Contact cementing the whole head and face allows you to place the hair and aim the "roots in any direction you need. I never have to worry about hair being pulled out when grooming or falling foreward when I move or look down.

Cool! I wasn't sure how well contact cement would stick to "eco-flex" silicone. I know Matt mentioned "Prosaide" and Duck used Silpoxy by Smoothon.

When you say your "mouth area", you need enough mask to cover the "jaw bone" correct?

The other dilemma is I like the idea of installing fans in the skull (like Matt did, Las Vegas summers can be pretty bad!) which limits me too a whole netting "cap". I just have to figure out how far down I want to come down on the face with it.

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
Wookiewannabe wrote:

Cool! I wasn't sure how well contact cement would stick to "eco-flex" silicone. I know Matt mentioned "Prosaide" and Duck used Silpoxy by Smoothon.

When you say your "mouth area", you need enough mask to cover the "jaw bone" correct?

The other dilemma is I like the idea of installing fans in the skull (like Matt did, Las Vegas summers can be pretty bad!) which limits me too a whole netting "cap". I just have to figure out how far down I want to come down on the face with it.

Only use netting on the very back of the head...the veil....hanging off the back of the underskull in the back of the head. Contact cement the top and front of the skull and face.
I recommend using only the nose and mouth area of the silicone mask. The rest of the head and face should be underskull and contact cement hair directly to that. If you have questions let me know.

ps... the hair is attached to the raw underskull with cement. The silpoxy is used to attach hair to the silicone appliance. Moustache is glued to silicone. The appliance is cut down to include only the nose, moustache area, lips and little bit under lips.
[img]
Scan 3 by mcm1015, on Flickr[/img]

Todzilla ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I'm just trying to wrap my head around the different layers (skin, underskull) and the different methods to attach it. I think I have enough to continue on. My only concerns with gluing on everything is servicing the "snarl cable" if needed.

Wookiewannabe wrote:
If you have questions let me know.

My only other question is if the "silicone mouth prosthetic" is just around the mouth area (like your drawing above), how do you cover the opening at the jaw hinge further back? (see red circle):

My guess is the hair glued to the skull right above the jaw just drapes over it? I know because of the angle, the jaw won't separate that much at that area.

Wookiewannabe ()
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todzilla wrote:
Thanks! I'm just trying to wrap my head around the different layers (skin, underskull) and the different methods to attach it. I think I have enough to continue on. My only concerns with gluing on everything is servicing the "snarl cable" if needed.

Wookiewannabe wrote:
If you have questions let me know.

My only other question is if the "silicone mouth prosthetic" is just around the mouth area (like your drawing above), how do you cover the opening at the jaw hinge further back? (see red circle):

My guess is the hair glued to the skull right above the jaw just drapes over it? I know because of the angle, the jaw won't separate that much at that area.

Yep, the hair above it and above that etcc... drapes over it to create full coverage. Never have a problem with it....
My snarl cable is embeded in the underskull

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Fringe -> Chewbacca and Other Wookiees All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: