About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=17701e57782a1fd1163978181bbfb9c0Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Blaster/holster?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jedimasterbatty (Björn Westin)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 2 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:43 pm    Post subject: Blaster/holster? Reply with quote

Hello everyone!

I was thinking to add a Blaster with holster to my X-Wing pilot outfit and now I wonder what type of Blaster and holster would be the best?

I have always had my DH-17 on troops but plan to swap it for the DL-44.
What do most pilot carry? I know that there is no official blaster..

I even made a more "standard" holster for it because I think the "Han Solo version" are more for the gunslinger characters.

This is what I made.

Your input would be great! Thanks in advance. Smile
Blue Banshee Leader (Alex Buirch)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually see pilots with a DL-44 or a DH-17. I rarely see anything straying from those (though I have occasionally).

As for holsters, those tend to vary. I think I usually see the "Luke style" holster for the DL-44...

For my B-wing pilot I have a blaster that I made myself, modeled after the one that comes with the various B-wing pilot action figures. I still need to make a holster for it...

B-wing Pilot - Anomid Jedi

-My Homepage-
-Cosplay.com Profile-
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mastershane (Shane Gordon)
Archived Member Profile

CVI Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the "Han/Luke" sidearm. Its not to big and its easy to carry in the holster.

As far as the movie goes, Luke in ESB is the only pilot that you ever see carrying a sidearm. (if I'm wrong please correct me)
HazardThree (Jon Paulson)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost anything goes for a sidearm, but yes, the DH-44 and DH-17 are the most common. If you want to look "right" I'd go with those, but there's nothing stopping you from trying another blaster style.

EXCEPT ... if we catch you with a recognizable NERF sidearm, we might smack ya upside the head. schrik

Zazarus (David Scheffner)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I normally use a DH-17 (looking at making a DL-44 too for my pilot), but to have things for people to hold in pictures I have been caught with a DH-17, Westar 35 and my lightsaber. I laughed at that event as a pilot I was more heavily armed than the mandalorians with us.
ZacMuleer ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your holster - it looks closer to Luke's ESB than most of the gunslinger belts out there.

That said, I made a gunslinger style holster for my pilot. Can't help it, I just dig it. Smile

I carry a SE-14R sidearm. It's SW-universe-appropriate and rare enough among pilots. My thought is that if these SE-14Rs are Imperial issue, the rebels would have certainly stolen a shipment or two, right??
TK 7586/Rebel Pilot (X-Wing)
Wife: a Juno-style pilot
Reaper (Ed)
Legion Legacy Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when I was a member, I trooped with a variety of blasters personally and provided many other types to other pilots. My arsenal included 4 different custom DL-44s including a matched set hat I wore in dual Luke ESB holsters. I also had a custom cross draw holster made for a DL-44. This was my first pilot holster.

I've also used my DH-17 and a battle droid blaster. But the blaster I retired with was a custom made Bryar blaster based on the Dark forces model. I was usually carrying a Mara Jade type blaster at the small of my back as a hold out as well.

Other pilots I've armed have carried both of Leia's blasters (seperately) one ROTJ version even had a shoulder holster for it, customized Westar 34s (reprinted and scopes added) customized and stock versions of the DL-10 (Hoth rebel blaster pistol), E-11s, Scouttrooper pistols, Merr Son Power 5s
And modified versions of Greedo's blaster.

This should give you some ideas.

Blackstar Squadron
jedimasterbatty (Björn Westin)
Active Legion Member

Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help!
I will continue to look at this and pick the blaster I like the most. Cool

ZacMuleer wrote:
I carry a SE-14R sidearm. It's SW-universe-appropriate and rare enough among pilots. My thought is that if these SE-14Rs are Imperial issue, the rebels would have certainly stolen a shipment or two, right??

Wow! I did not even think of that Blaster.. Some pilots must carry that as you said! Wink
MisterFubar (Nate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use a shoulder holster rig? To me a shoulder holster or drop leg works a lot better in the cockpit than something hanging from your hip/waist.

I'm mulling over what blaster and holster to use for the X-wing pilot I'm working on and am thinking about going that route.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got comic ref. that show Plourr from Rogue Squadron using a shoulder holster, so it's feasible and acceptable. Go for it!

MisterFubar (Nate)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HazardThree wrote:
I've got comic ref. that show Plourr from Rogue Squadron using a shoulder holster, so it's feasible and acceptable. Go for it!

A quick image search didn't turn up anything for me. What type of shoulder holster was it? Did it have a holster on one side and a pouch or something on the other and cross over in an X in the back, or was it just on one side with maybe a strap crossing over?

I had a cheap handmade leather one that I picked up for my M9 while in Pakistan that actually would have been a perfect donor for this but I can't find it.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try to take some pics this weekend with my phone and post. I don't remember seeing a counterbalance pouch, but remember those X-wing Rogue Squadron comics weren't the most detailed things drawn unfortunately. Crying or Very sad

FallenPrism (Jonathan Colling)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a belt and a blaster, but the holster that came with it wasn't the right size. Is there anyone here that would be able to make me one? I can provide whatever measurements are needed. I was mostly thinking of the gunslinger style, with a DL-44 blaster.
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2013 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, started a new "official" shoulder holster thread with (limited) reference pics here: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=570134#570134

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Rebel Pilots -> Overlapping Costume Bits All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: