About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7d5e6bed8771abd63621c0481251ed26Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

Kris - Generic Jedi WIP 2
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RavenApprentice (Angel Martinez)
Legion CO
Legion CO

Medals: 9 (View more...)
2013 Christmas Toys for Tots Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking really nice! Great Work!

Former Puerto Rico BCO | KJO XO | Wretched Hive XO | Legion Costume Judge | Legion Charter Committee
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KrisAntilles (Amanda Burk)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Anakin and Raven!

Top layer of the tabards are cut out and sewn together, so I put them on the dress form to see how it looked before I cut out the bottom layer and sewed everything together. Glad I did, because I had the tabards a little too long front and back. They're pinned up shorter in the pics. I know they look really wide right now, but there's seam allowance on both sides since they're not completely sewn together yet. This is not the obi that will go with this. I just grabbed the obi from my other jedi to put on it for the moment and see how the tabards were going to sit. The obi for this one will be the same material as the tabards.

QenVarith (Brandon Bloodworth)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is looking fantastic! I can't wait to see how it looks all together and being worn! Nicely done!
Nefla (Alicia)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the angled bottoms of the tabards and the color scheme (similar but different) the whole thing is super professional and your fabric is awesome Mr. Green
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2013 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks QenVarith and Nefla!!

Tabards are complete (except for adding snaps)! On to the obi (the obi in the pictures is from my other jedi, the obi for this one will match the tabards)!

And I ordered several jersey knit fabric samples from Mood Fabrics to try to find some undertunic material. Out of the stack of samples, this one seems to be the best match so far. I might look around a little more, but if not, this is probably the undertunic fabric I'll go with.

Olive Solid Jersey Solid

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ran into JoAnn Fabrics to pick up a snap setter for my pouches, and found this little gem. Since I have all the leather working tools now, and more left over dye and finish than I know what to do with, I'm probably going to make a second belt and set of pouches for this costume, instead of reusing the belt and pouches I'm making for the other costume. Might as well get some more use out of the tools I bought! But I haven't been able to come up with a "buckle" I liked for this one. Then I stumbled on this today and had a 40% off coupon that needed to be used up! Kind of wish it was more of a silver than gun metal grey, but it will definitely work if I don't come up with something else I like better!

And it is a functional buckle, I'd love to make a belt that buckled in the front like the movie ones did, though with the way this one hooks, I'm not sure it would work very well for that. But even if it doesn't, it will definitely work for a belt design that connects in the back.

Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome buckle, that was one lucky find!

and the look af that new tunic is just really nice.

"All who gain power are afraid to lose it."
"The whole thing stank, but our noses had been out in the cold for too long..."
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Undertunic fabric and belt leather arrived today!

Changed my mind on the undertunic fabric. This one goes with the shantung lining the skirt better than the other one I had picked out. However, it is very lightweight......so we'll see how it turns out. Might have to end up going with the other fabric anyway.....

http://www.moodfabrics.com/fashion-fabrics/stretch-and-knits/cotton-jersey/jersey-solid-73541.html

I have a five day weekend, so hopefully lots of progress this weekend! Just need to hem the sleeves, and make the obi, undertunic, and belt!
Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've said it before.... you really should take commissions

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we have an obi! Just need to put the snaps on the back to close it!

Obi made following the Making a Self-Scrunching Obi tutorial.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost there! Just need to finish hemming the sleeve lining to the sleeves and this outer tunic will be done! Doing it by hand though, so I'll have a nice hidden stitch, instead of a visible machine stitch. Time to find something good to watch on the TV while I work.

Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Outer tunic, obi, and tabards are complete! (Pardon the pink marks on the sleeves, they'll fade out.) I see a couple of things that I need to tweak, but otherwise, these are all complete! So on to the inner tunic!

With the inner tunic fabric. The inner tunic fabric is a little on the thin side, but I'm really hoping I can make it work, because this is the best color match I've found as far as knit fabrics go. Guess we'll see how it turns out! Wish me luck!

Anakin Skywalker ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with the undertunic! thin fabrics can be really hard to work with

lgtsbr ()

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KrisAntilles wrote:
Ran into JoAnn Fabrics to pick up a snap setter for my pouches, and found this little gem. Since I have all the leather working tools now, and more left over dye and finish than I know what to do with, I'm probably going to make a second belt and set of pouches for this costume, instead of reusing the belt and pouches I'm making for the other costume. Might as well get some more use out of the tools I bought! But I haven't been able to come up with a "buckle" I liked for this one. Then I stumbled on this today and had a 40% off coupon that needed to be used up! Kind of wish it was more of a silver than gun metal grey, but it will definitely work if I don't come up with something else I like better!

And it is a functional buckle, I'd love to make a belt that buckled in the front like the movie ones did, though with the way this one hooks, I'm not sure it would work very well for that. But even if it doesn't, it will definitely work for a belt design that connects in the back.

That's a cool buckle! Even being greyish it has a shine to it in the pictures. How off is it from the silver rivets? Truthfully, they won't be close enough to each other for most people to notice a slight color difference.

Does it have a good positive lock to it? If it does then it might be ok for a front latching belt. Not that I condone this with only 1 buckle, but give a tug on it and see if it pops open, if it doesn't then you should be good to go

Dave
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a really odd color. It's really dark, but not truly black either. I tried to get some pictures....though the lighting in my house stinks right now, because it's storming outside.

But here's the buckle with the silver rivets that I have, and the silver and gun metal grey food capsules that I have. So it's a really dark grey, but it's really shiny, so it looks silver sometimes when the light hits it.

And here's the same thing but with the black of my scissors. I held it up to the barrel of one of my husband's shotguns, and it's defnitely lighter in color than the barrel, though not much. I don't know, it's just a weird color, sometimes it almost looks a hint brownish. I ordered some black rivets for the heck of it to see which ones it looked better with, black or silver, but they haven't arrived yet.

With flash:

Without flash:

Here's one with it sitting on my current belt. I was going to use the same color dye for the belt for this jedi, since it matches the boots for this outfit perfectly, though this buckle almost gets lost against the dark brown, but maybe wouldn't be so bad in better light. It's really dark in the house right now. I guess I could repaint it a different silver color, but I wasn't sure how well paint would stay on the metal of the buckle. I'd hate to paint it, put the belt together, then have the paint start chipping off and look like crap, especially if it does get used as a functional front buckle.

Here's how it hooks. You slide it through, then slide it back to lock in place. So once hooked, I don't think it's going to come undone, unless you just have a really loose belt. So I think it would be plenty sturdy to handle a front buckle belt.

However, because of the way it actually buckles, you'd definitely have to suck it in and "over tighten" the wide belt a bit I think to actually get it to hook. So that's the part I'm not sure if it will work very well to actually use it for a front buckling belt. Thoughts?

Guess we'll see how it goes. I'm going to play around with it a bit. Worse case scenario, it becomes a non functional buckle and my belt hooks in the back. lol.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: