About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=f8aca22942d53207a7e8ebac92b158d3Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Obi Wan...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:31 am    Post subject: New Obi Wan... Reply with quote

Hello everyone.

This is Shay from Tython base ( Australia ). I am super new to the RL but have been working on an EP3 ( actually an EP2 as well ) Obi for about a year. I tried to be methodical in staying true to the screen image of Obi Wan with my construction, from shoulder tucks on tunic and Robe, all 4 pouches functional leather, correct colour, number and order of food capsules, custom boots, screen accurate saber to diagonal grain on the obi. I think the coolest part that I feel best about is finally achieving that open weave, slightly lined appearance of the material from the movie that so often lets down the look of a Jedi costume.

I just " revealed myself to the Jedi" LOL - and posted my first pictures.
The guys down under seem to like what I have done but it was suggested I post a thread here to ask for advice/ get your opinions if there was something I need to change before I thought about applying for approval.

I know there are a lot of experts here and people with lots of knowledge and maybe even some Obi approval judges? It would be really great to get your comments and feedback.

Thanks very much everyone,

Kind regards,

Shay.

" Another happy landing "

Last edited by Shay Kenobi () on Tue Jun 25, 2013 12:54 pm; edited 3 times in total
Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm by no means an Obi-Wan expert but it's costumes like these that make me happy Very Happy

Well done!
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shay,

Check out this topic

Required photos for submission.

As a reminder, although I'm sure you're aware of them, the Obi-Wan costume standards are here.

Two small things I've noticed about your costume that can be tweaked.

1) Tuck your pants into your boots more, I know some costume judges have a pet peeve about "muffin top" pants at the boot top.

2) The standards talk about a reddish brown belt. In these photos, your belt looks dark, almost black. You need to make certain that a photo is taken of the belt in good light so that the judges can see that it is the correct colour.

Great job, keep it up! Let me know if there is anything we can do to help.

Fyr

Tython Base Facebook Page
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Fyr, yes I will have to make sure I keep them tucked in.

The standards talk about a reddish brown but if you took that literally and presented a belt that was actually reddish it would be totally inaccurate.

Obi's belt viewed either from the movie or from static exhibition shots ( see below ) is a dark brown (with a little cherry perhaps) that looks almost black from afar. It is in no way red. I think dark cherry would have been a much better description then reddish brown.

Symantics, I know. I guess at the end of the day they want you to match the look of the belt we see on screen.

Thanks again for the feedback mate, points duly noted Smile

Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jermain.

Thats a really nice thing to say. I really appreciate it. Thanks so much Very Happy

Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
The standards talk about a reddish brown but if you took that literally and presented a belt that was actually reddish it would be totally inaccurate.

Obi's belt viewed either from the movie or from static exhibition shots ( see below ) is a dark brown (with a little cherry perhaps) that looks almost black from afar. It is in no way red. I think dark cherry would have been a much better description then reddish brown.

Symantics, I know. I guess at the end of the day they want you to match the look of the belt we see on screen.

The biggest reason I asked you to discuss your costume here, rather than in Tatooine forums, was to hash out points of contention with the costume judges before you put the costume in for approval. Sometimes there are good reasons to dispute the wording of the costume standards, or discuss interpretation of the wording, and sometimes we change that wording to clarify. Costume standards are often based on three reference pictures of the thing being discussed. If you can find another couple of different shots to illustrate your point it will help in this discussion.

Having said that, you have clearly done your research, and are quite obviously ready to submit, in my opinion. Looking through the standards for Obi-Wan, do you feel that you have met all the criteria?

Tython Base Facebook Page
BeeJay (Bradley Bristow-Stagg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, what an entrance Shay! You're certainly encouraging me to lift my game when I do my Ep3 Obi as this is a very, very nice costume! Very Happy

Last edited by BeeJay (Bradley Bristow-Stagg) on Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:43 am; edited 1 time in total
SithariRog (Roger Allen)
Legion Membership Officer
Legion Membership Officer

Medals: 2 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made the dye for my OWK belt. It was from Tandy dyes and I mixed Java Brown, Dark Mahogany and a hint of black. Took me a while to get the recipe just right.

I will tell you that one of the biggest and most consistent problems LCJs have is interpreting color of fabrics and costume components. We would be thrilled if folks would take their pics, then evaluate their colors for themselves. If they're not right, then...take them again.

For folks that don't have access to professional photography set up, I often recommend making application pics outside on a sunny day, preferrably in the late afternoon when colors are "warm" and not harsh. A more bland and diffuse lighting would be outside when it's cloudy, about mid afternoon.

The worst lighting conditions? (Besides anything with flash? I'd say fluorescent, especially the old bulbs that give two wave lengths in the green and red. Next to the worst...probably inside at night with low lighting using tunsten bulbs.

Past Offices: Asst. LMO, Legion Costume Judge, DCO KJO, BCO Tranquility Base
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi SithariRog.

I hear you. I couldnt agree more. The lighting is everything. During that shoot I tried some various lighting conditions. some worked - some didnt. In some of the shots overexposure made the tunic look stark white.
Then you see the pic and think - it doesnt look like that at all! So as you say, change the lighting so it does look right or use the photos that do it justice. One thing that frustrates applicants, Im sure, is inconsistent colour of reference photos. During my build, I found the exact same photo of OWK's tunic from 3 different sources that were 3 very different colours! Not helpful! Smile

Hey Fyr,

Sage advice mate. I think it was a good idea to throw it up here and get some feedback.

To answer your question, Yes, I cant think of another thing I could do before application. I have Re checked the list and I have all the required items as well as the optional items. I think I have also respected the pre amble regarding quality of workmanship, accuracy of execution , and use of materials.

Hi BeeJay! Thats a really generous comment from one Obi fan to another Smile Thanks mate. And no need to lift your game at all - Ive seen your costume, it looks awesome Very Happy

BeeJay (Bradley Bristow-Stagg)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay, you're too kind, mine is only a Generic Obi'ish Jedi but I would love to do an Ep3 obi just like yours as you've even stolen my idea about dying the beard Very Happy

After going back and reading the OP you say that your pouches are leather AND operational? (Fully armed and operational.... LOL) Any chance we can get some close ups on those babies and a tutorial maybe?

Also, can you show us your saber? Is it a custom job? Parks? Did you build it yourself?

Details man! Details!

BTW Thanks again for the compliment Very Happy
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and as a former GML for the 501st I absolutely concur with Sitharog's comments about lighting which you're obviously VERY familiar with as your photos ROCK! However I did rush my photos and didn't take them in the best light so I wont be doing that when Obi is done!
Hoth Base CO
Hoth Base CO

Rebel Legion Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an awesome build, it looks great, it is a hard character and you have done a good job so far
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rick.

Thanks very much Smile
You probably dont realise this, but I did tell you I was doing an Obi Wan back in August. Can you remember? I met you with my family at Disneyland in Orlando just after celebration 6. I wasnt in costume at C6 but my son was young Anakin. Your friends all remembered him from the convention and said he was awesome Smile

Anyway, its taken a little longer then I said it would but I am here, phew! LOL

Great to hear from you Rick. I hope its all going well down on the Ice planet. Nice choice of name by the way. I like Hoth. Smile

Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey BeeJay, no problems at all mate. I'll just post some close ups for you now. Although, these are the kinds of shots I was talking of earlier. They were over exposed a little, making the tunic too light so I havent posted them, but they do show good detail of what you are interested in.

There is a bit more of a blurb about my saber on the Tatooine site under "New obi Wan" that I posted but basically, I bought it off Ebay. When it turned up it was absolutely Identicle to the Master Replicas Ep3 I had on display. The drawback is that ( if you have ever picked up an MR ) it is quite heavy for trooping but is very accurate to the screen. Im sure the saber forums will know exactly where to get what you are looking for and if not, I can put you in contact with an amazing sabersmith in Queensland. He is a great bloke and will point you in the right direction.

The pouches rock!!! LOL I love them.
I got them from a guy in the US that does great work. He is also a member of the Rebel Legion.

Sorry, because Im so new here I dont know if I am allowed to name companys???? If someone says its ok, i'll post it otherwise I can find and then send you his details in a PM. I spend half of my life in the US so would be happy to bring them back for you if you like them.

Let me know if you need pics of anything else

Cheers BeeJay

Shay.

Mihunai (Jermain Palmen)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hold on are those- Is that a- Costumebase belt and foodpellets?
It is, isn't it...

Might I make a suggestion and suggest you get/make a leather belt
and staedtler-pen foodcaps? That's something I =can= help with Smile

It's just such a shame to see an otherwise great costume finished with
parts like that...

There are people who swear by them, and I guess it might get you
through the application, but I've see too many belts like that break to
recommend them to anyone. Not to mention the inaccurate stitching
and *cringe* velcrow... Especially for a face-character...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: