Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=a6b1188c244c9bdfc416f98b79c9d4fdMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Obi-wan Kenobi WIP *Photos Working Again*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug - congratulations on finding that inner robe material. I was recently approved with my Ben Kenobi costume but I know the materials are not screen accurate. I have literally spent weeks on the internet looking for that material and have been unsuccessful up to now. I called King Fabrics and have placed an order but the woman I talked to said it was Dupioni silk. I send a couple of your pictures to the store with my email and told them to make sure my order matched your material both in color and weave.

Was the 8m that you bought enough material?? I ordered 10 yards.

What did you use for the worn spots as a backmaterial patches and did you have to dye it to the grey? How is it attached to the silk?

What material are you using for the brown outer robe? I thought I read somewhere it was made of WWII British Army blankets. I have been scouring army surplus stores for blankets and have only found 2 and they are US, and I am going to have to dye them brown.

I hope you don't mind all these questions but I have been trying for so long to upgrade my costume to screen accurate materials and wear marks and with your post I can see a light at the end of the tunnel at last.

Highest Regards,
Paul Moomey (pmoomey) Kessel Base - Houston Texas
Blue Leader Canada (Doug Cottrell)
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Paul. I will post some more pics soon. I am getting closer to the end myself.

My robe is made from a wool blend. I plan to upgrade that too once I find 100% wool as I can tell it doesn't have the structure to the fabric that Ben's has - the hood droops too much on my head.

The 8 m I bought was plenty actually and I still have some to spare which I'm using to test out ideas for fabric weathering.

I made the patches from burlap actually. The texture and colour seems right. I cut holes in the robe and then used iron-on adhesive to hold the patch in place. I went in with a machine and zigzagged to add extra strength. The zigzagging hides in the fabric. I pulled some threads of burlap and used an upholstery needle to hand sew the stitches around the patches. I tried my best to match but took a little creative license. It looks nice and uneven.

Schph Gochi (Phyllis Schulte)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 17 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 3)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobaFuss wrote:
[
I lucked out. I bought it at a fabric store in Toronto called King Textiles. I initially saw it in orange in the silk section and took a sample. Then I found it in another section of the store in the yellow-beige colour and bought everything they had (8.75 m). I will take a look again in a week or so and let you know if they have it again. It is not cheap ($20/m) but it is great fabric.

You got lucky indeed!

The great "fabric search" is one of the things I dread when trying to do a new costume...

http://livefromthegalaxyfarfaraway.blogspot.com/
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a few more progress pictures. On the back you can see that I ended up adding fabric from the waist down to make it fuller. I sewed in a wider panel and then gathered it at the waistline. It drapes much better now.

You can also make out the detail on the elbow patches.

I also soaked the garment and hung it to dry. As it was drying I worked the folds and pleats into it so it would hang properly on me. It was still looking too new and stiff.

Last edited by Blue Leader Canada (Doug Cottrell) on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:42 pm; edited 3 times in total
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you use a pattern or did you have something to go by? Also, I have a set of pictures of the original costume when it was put on display. I did not take the pictures but downloaded them from another site. Unfortunately the pics don't clearly show the inner robe except for the very front nor do they show any sleeve detail. In one of the pics it appears that part of the basic tunic is showing between the tabard and the overlapping trim. It looks in that pic like the weave is vertical for the basic tunic with the trim as horizontal. BUT in other screen grabs from the movie showing his back without the outer robe - that unfortunately are not in any great detail - it appears that the fabric weave across the back and waist is horizontal. I will try to see if I can figure out how to insert a pic in the post. Basically - how did you decide to do your tunic with the weave being horizontal rather than vertical?
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Following is the link to a pic of the Ben Kenobi costume display that I was talking about that seems to show the inner tunic weave to be vertical. I circled the area that looks to me to be between the tabard and the edge trim on the front. The link is Photobucket. Something is wrong with my PC or Photobucket - I can't bring up the links.

http://s213.beta.photobucket.com/user/thatguyno1/media/Ben%20Kenobi%20Costume/bmaben4pf0a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0
Active Legion Member

Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW...this build is great...
and..
we have had several really great Ben Kenobi costumes approved the last couple of weeks...

I am really excited to see them all...
all of you guys rocked your costumes....

Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phyllis - I agree that costume is fantastic!! And what Doug is doing with the patches is really amazing.

Doug - I called the textile store back to make sure they didn't cut any material until they received both of my emails. After talking to the woman again apparently they use Dupioni and Shantung interchangeably for the same fabric. So I'm fairly confident they will match the weave - now hopefully they have the same color.

Paul
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it is the same fabric. I have found that fabrics go by so many names depending who you talk to. All I know is I found it in the silk section of King Textiles and my friend Jordan contacted a friend of his in wardrobe who looked at the fabric and said it is called Shantung Silk. The fabric I have is a pale butter-yellowy-beige. I don't know if it has an official name.

I made a pattern up myself. I used a bathrobe as a base pattern and modified it but flaring it out from the armpits downward on the sides. For the front, I just continued the neckline straight out at an angle so there would be a lot of material at the front to cross over. For everything (such as the sleeves, tabbard width, obi width, etc.), I consulted the Blu-ray to match the proportions on myself.

I still have my pattern. I'll try to take a photo of it so you can see what I'm talking about.

Now - the weave. I have studied those Magic Of Myth photos and I have looked at the Blu-ray to determine which way the weave goes. On the obi, tabbards, and the trim it is very clear. On the body, it looks like it goes horizontally in some shots, and vertically in others. It was really driving me crazy. I believe the fabric reacts differently depending how it is lit. In the end, I made a judgment call.

Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean Doug - it is driving me crazy as well. I will study the Blu Ray more and have to come to the same decision point. I wonder where the costume is now and if it can be viewed by the public. My son and I managed to get tickets to San Diego Comic Con. Wouldn't it be nice if it was on display there!!! (probably not).

Paul
Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sent you a PM.
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wore the costume on Saturday at Toronto Comicon. Here are a few pics. Still need to do a few tweaks before I'm finished and ready to submit.

Last edited by Blue Leader Canada (Doug Cottrell) on Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
Active Legion Member

South Carolina Relief Badge (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic!!

Ben Kenobi (Paul Moomey)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great Doug. Love that material for the inner robe.
EeanLedgor ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: 8 (View more...)
Dragon Con 2014 (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice indeed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Jedi -> Obi-Wan Kenobi All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: