About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=62af5940f940dca52585f6f9956eec94Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

A friendly hello!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
To-le ()

Medals: None

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: A friendly hello! Reply with quote

Greetings RL peeps! My name is Michael from around the Springfield Mo area. I happened across the Rebel Legion site looking for instructions/guides in making a Han Solo outfit. I have played SWG and now swToR for 8-9 years with a group of friends that share my love for star wars and last year we all took a trip to Orlando for celeb 6. We spent all 4 days there and a few of my friends had some lower end jedi costumes and I felt a little left out! Being "that guy" for 4 days in a row gave me the bug to get something made. Being a Harrison Ford fanboi I have to roll Han as my first costume.

I have been impressed with the volume of info on this site overall for Han content. I am going to start simple and work on the shirt, then vest, and last to pants. Keeping the formal requirements in mind I have set a deadline of Halloween to have this finished.

Anyway I wanted to hop in and say hi as I am sure to be posting again soon. (Prolly in the Fringe section though.)
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there. We don't have a lot of approved Hans in the base now (if any), though I think we have several that're getting close at least...

I've actually been helping a friend though (in Mountain Base) a little with his build, though all I did for him are the shirt and assemble the blaster kit for him. I hope the shirt at least is up to standards, we'll see when he gets the rest of the parts in and is ready to submit I guess. I can say, that while I'm not sure the outcome yet, I've spent several hours staring at reference pictures of all the versions of his shirts Smile So if you have any questions I can at least help point you in the right direction.

What version are you doing?

Dantooine Base: Keeping flyover country Imperial-free since 2007
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
To-le ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going old school ANH style. Did you do a resin blaster kit? I saw some threads about buying one for $50 to $100.
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To-le wrote:
I am going old school ANH style. Did you do a resin blaster kit? I saw some threads about buying one for $50 to $100.

My friend is doing the ROTJ version, and I got a ANH blaster as my payment for making the shirt and blaster for him. The kits came from here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/STAR-WARS-DL-44-DL44-HAN-SOLO-ANH-PROP-BLASTER-KIT-/290786791145?pt=UK_Collectables_SciFi_fantasyCollectables_EH&hash=item43b43e4ee9

They're from the UK, so the price fluxuates based on the exchange rate, but after shipping they're about $80. First set got lost in the mail too, so watch them, but they replaced them for me at least.

[url=http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1384587209289.53812.1070269804&type=3#!/photo.php?fbid=4766414112848&set=a.1384587209289.53812.1070269804&type=3&theater]This[/url] probably won't work either, but I just finished our guns last night. Links to FB may not work though...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
To-le ()

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I ask you how long it took to paint that? I might get some for my friends and have a blaster party. I see some gluing is involved. What is the dry time?
gandalfbmg (Bart German)
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put the pix on my photobucket so this should work now. I didn't take many though throughout the process.

As for the time; I've been working on these off an on for about 2 weeks. Partially because of work/family I don't get a lot of uninterrupted costuming time, so would work a few min here and there. The time is also dependent upon the painting conditions, and if you have to mask for the black/silver parts. On the ANH version you don't, and that kit comes in less pieces to glue as well.

I did all the pieces in a couple base coats of plastic-bonding primer in black. Let that dry overnight, then masked off the handle and did a layer of a dark esspresso brown on the handle. Let that sit for a day, then masked the handle and did the rest of the gun in a metalic black, and let that sit overnight.

Then it was assembly This is actually pretty quick. I sanded all the contact areas down to rough them up and remove paint first. I used 5 min, 2-part epoxy to attach the handle/trigger part to the barrel part. I was paranoid, so I held them secure for five min, then let them sit w/o touching for another 15 at least. Then I used gorrilla super glue (not gorilla glue, which has a pretty slow cure time and foams up a lot, but it has a set time a little slower than 'regular' crazy glue), and attached the scope peices one by one, holding each secure for about 30 seconds then giving about 5 min before I put the next pieces on. But I got that all the gluing done in an evening.

Las was touchup paint. The metalic black where I needed it from the sanding/gluing, then used some model silver paint for the details on the handle. last I used a half water/half craft black paint mix on a rag to 'weather' the handle over the dark brown. Once all that was set, I hit the whole thing with a couple coats of clear coat.

Because I'm paranoid about paint , I wouldn't want to condense the process down to less than 4 days. Day one for priming the parts and the handle, day two for masking the handle and the metalic coat, day three for all the gluing, and day for for the touchup paint and clearcoat... but ovre a LONG day you could probably do it all, especially if it's warm and dry out...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Rebel Bases N. America -> Dantooine Base All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: