About Us Members Unit Listing Events Costuming Resources Forum Contact Us Trading Cards

Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=7fad9ee6bcfab65ecd44b6119d404368Medals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

New Obi Wan..
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tatooine Base
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Hurricane Sandy Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shay, and welcome to the legion.

Your costume looks awesome, and if it was a Generic Jedi I would be hunting you down this weekend to get a submittal photoshoot in! I am not as familiar with all the intricacies of screen characters, but from what I do know it seems that you are pretty close to completion. If you've been lurking a while, I'm sure you've already found the Jedi section of forums, and it is there that posting these pictures for comment will most likely get you help with the tweaks that will carry you over the line.

This is an exciting time to be in the RL in NSW. Tatooine base has been through an amazing change in the last few months, successfully compartmentalising into state aligned bases, with first South Australia forming Ryloth Base and Victoria forming Hoth Base. It requires 12 members to form a base... Once your approval goes through,(which I have no doubt will be soon) you will be our Base's 20th member.

NSW is still in a formation stage, and like a good costume, is still a WIP, with steps to go through.

1) We decided to form a base, then voted to do so.
2) We discussed several name option, then voted on them.
3) We nominated candidates for Base Commanding Officer (BCO), went through Q&A stage and then voted on the candidates.

That's where we are up to. We have a new BCO,(10 minutes ago) who will now be going through the laborious process of submitting for a new base to Legion council and getting all the paperwork sorted....

Discussions are underway regarding Base logo, and detachments. So.... Hurry up and get that costume tweaked and approved... We look forward to you joining the discussions!

Welcome to the family, Shay.

Fyr

Tython Base Facebook Page
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

Medals: None

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the encouragement guys, Im really glad you like it.

Cheers Ashley, thats nice mate Smile

Ewok hunter, thanks for that. I saw the saber on ebay some time back and thought it looked very accurate. It didnt have that fatter neck indicative of the hasbro style so I bought it. When it turned up it was IDENTICLE to the Master Replica display version I already had. I dont know who made it or when but it was an exact copy of the MR. except for the "Master Replicas" stamped on the pommel.
Screen accurate, but the down side is that it is also the same weight as the MR which is quite heavy to hang on the belt when kitted up.

Hi Anakin! So awesome you are part of the Nordic base. A big hello from Down under. I watched your base do the Angry Bird Star Wars release at Rovio last year. You guys rocked the house it was so cool Very Happy

Yes the material! As everyone that has ever done a Jedi knows, the search for the mythical, illusive " Indian Homespun" can lead to long periods of sobbing in the corner. Interestingly enough, Im not sure it was Indian homespun. I know the Padawans guide talks about Iain Mccraig telling the community it was ( which sent the fraternity scattering to all corners of the universe in search of ) but during my research, I managed to speak with a lady here in Sydney ( where the movies were made ) that worked on the costumes and she told me that it was definitely wool! A loose woven wool, but wool.

I was lucky enough to come accross a material I found in a store in the U.S. It looked nothing like the right stuff, but after you wash and dry it it goes sort of soft and "nubby". Then I had it dyed and then professionally pleated to get the lined texture. You then have to carefully steam out those same pleats so it doesnt look too rigid and formal and to give it a more subtle look.
So thats how you do it Smile

" Another happy landing "
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome Fyr Very Happy

It certainly seems to be an interesting time for the RL.

I know there must be a mountain of work to do behind the scenes. I will have my fingers crossed that it all goes smoothly for those involved.

Yeah, Im not boned up on the approval process for face characters either. I will have to do some reading, hopefully it wont be too long Smile

Shay.

Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Shay,

There is a Jedi subforum called, oddly enough; Obi-Wan Kenobi. If you put together a WIP (Work In Progress) thread there with as many pictures as you have got together, you will be able to get comments from our Obi-Wan experts on how to tweak it. Chewie and I have become a pretty slick approval photography team, so we should get together and do a photoshoot ASAP for you. Judging is critical on such a costume, it may well be that they offer you a Generic Jedi approval in the interim, as well as suggestions on what needs fixing before you reapply for Obi-Wan. If that happens, I urge you to accept the generic membership, it's better to work on finishing from inside the legion than outside, I believe! However, if you use the costume standards as a checklist and your costume certainly has the look going for it... You may well pass first go! Having a WIP in the above forum should help you prepare for that best.

Glad to have you aboard, I look forward to meeting you.

Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again Fyr.

Done! Smile

luciferian ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOhh nice Obi Wan and welcome Shay another sydney person here Smile
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2013 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Luciferian, thats awesome. Glad to be here Very Happy

davej ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shane, about bloody time. You've been lurking around here for too long!
Told you people would love your costume!

Great to have you here, and hope to be trooping with you soon Smile
Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dave,

You have been a great source of support throughout the process.
Thanks Mate, its good to be here Smile

Shay Kenobi ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

My formal Obi Wan received approval the other day so I just wanted to say thank you for the interest in my costume and all the kind words of encouragement.

I hope I get to troop with you all. Smile

Shay.

Fyr Mureys ()
Tython Base CO
Tython Base CO

PostPosted: Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shay Kenobi wrote:
Hi everyone

My formal Obi Wan received approval the other day so I just wanted to say thank you for the interest in my costume and all the kind words of encouragement.

I hope I get to troop with you all. Smile

Shay.

Head over to Tython forums and check out mission planning.
NSW 2013 Planning Calendar to get started on that...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Australia -> Tatooine Base All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: