Forum and Costume Controls

FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups  medals.php?sid=79fdf07fbc4cce78e2388c1889b7136cMedals   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

REMINDER: Do not change your e-mail address yourself. Please read this first for why.

ANH Leia WIP
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Queelea (Christine Wilkinson)
Rebel Legion Reserve

Medals: None

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 4:57 am    Post subject: ANH Leia WIP Reply with quote

I am currently almost finished with my ANH Leia costume, but I am having a lot of trouble with the belt. How do I rivet on the metal pieces when I have to slightly bend the pieces to go around my waist? And where do you buy rivets? Also, after the metal pieces are attached, how do I attach the round metal pieces on top of them? I have the button covers, and I tried hot gluing them on but they fell off within an hour.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, how do I go about getting a Legion approved wig?
SongofAmazon (Jenna)
Detachment CO
Detachment CO

Medals: 1 (View more...)
Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had my old roommate do my Leia belt, but here is what I understand. She used some kind of silicone glue (like a caulk) to attach the buttons to the metal and the metal to the belt. I think in the long run, rivets will probably be better. You'll need a punch and riveting tools for that, but I highly recommend looking up your local Tandy Leather. All the Tandys I have gone to have been super helpful in "So I'm making this Star Wars costume and I don't know how to do this one thing..." plus showing you what tools and supplies you need.

Also, this thread has some really handy tutorials for hair and the costume pieces: http://www.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21883

For the wig... well, I would strongly advise against a wig. Unless you commission one styled for you, anything you will by online is probably not going to be a high quality fiber and will look awful in photos. Plus, the front hairline will look wig-y, in that it is obviously not your own hair.

Unless your hair is [img]really[/img] short, I would advise you do some sort of buns that you attach to your own hair over pigtails. My hair is jaw length and really fine, so I do a sort of insta-bun that there's a tutorial linked to in that thread. Kathy's tutorial is a different sort of insta-bun that works better with medium-length, medium-thickness hair. A technique I haven't seen tutorial-ed up yet (though DWH has promised to) is where you get a loose ponytail of wig fibers, attach that to your own pigtail and twist your hair and the fake hair together into the buns. That makes your hair longer and much thicker. Though, you need quite a bit of hair for that.

If you hair is too light, you can use temporary spray-in hair dye that can be found at your local Sally's Beauty Supplies.

In planning and progress:
Riyo Chuchi, Havoc Trooper, Amilyn Holdo, Lilac Handmaiden

Charter Committee | Galactic Senate DCO | RLGS Web Site | She/Her

JediDWH (Lisa Curtis Saunders)
Detachment XO
Detachment XO

TFA LFL Red Carpet World Premiere (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I only recently got my life back (within the last few days- woooooooo!), so tutorialing should happen sometime in the coming weeks- I really need to make a list of all the things I want to get done so I can just start working through them, but I'm giving myself a bit of space to breathe, first.

As for the belt, I've done it a couple of different ways with varying results.

To attach the plates to the belt, your best bet is epoxy. Anything else will just come loose over time, and I've tried several different adhesives. Jenna's is epoxied, as is mine. Mine was not originally epoxied, but the old glue wasn't holding up to heavy wear. The glue would hold down decently in the center, but you want a glue that will hold even when you curve the belt.

The button covers were, as Jenna said, attached with silicone glue. I was a little bit worried this wouldn't hold, but as it turns out, as long as you let it cure, that stuff does not pry off for anything. Now, the original way I did this was that I punched a hole in the belt and the center of the plate and riveted the plate on, but the rivets I used were too tall and stuck up a bit. But, I figured I could use that to my advantage, and that's when I came up with the idea for silicone glue- I filled the button covers with the glue, set it over the rivet, and knew that once the silicone cured around the rivet head, there would be no moving it.

The only reason I didn't employ this method on my second belt is that I was in a rush, and couldn't find my metal punch, so I just filled the covers with silicone and hoped for the best. As it turned out, I didn't need the rivets to get the buttons to stay on, but if you really want some extra security, the rivets won't hurt.

So yes, the Leia belt is really all about finding the best adhesive for the job at hand; at least that's what I've learned by making three belts. Smile And I doubt I'm done with my belt making- it's a process of learning and making it better each time!

Sew Corellian
KJO DXO
Celestia Delegation Leader
Sunrider Base Webmaster

Retired LWM, BCO, BMO
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome, thank you so much! I'm going to try the rivets and epoxy today. I'm think also since I do not have silicone glue that I'm just going to fill the buttons with hot glue and let it set, and then epoxy them on.

Also, I got a wig, and am having some trouble making the buns stay. I cannot seem to find a tutorial online anywhere, including the legion forums. I know about the "magic bun" extensions, but I already bought the wig. So, is there a tutorial somewhere that shows how to get perfect buns with a wig instead of extensions?
tereshkova2001 ()
Active Legion Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recommend zillions of hairpins and lots of aquanet. Smile
What I believe I did for my classic Leia buns is to anchor ponytails on each side of the wig with elastics, then twist the loose hair and spiral it around and around. I added pins (use the open u-shaped hairpins, not closed bobbypins) and hairspray all the time. I used a lot of loose extensions in addition to the fibers attached to the wig, and I just tucked the loose strands into the buns and added, yes, more pins and hairspray.
Apparently Carrie Fisher's buns were covered by hairnets, so you could try that. The hairnet will be too big for the bun, so you'll have to tuck the extra netting underneath the edges.

Make sure you've got a wig that's meant to be parted down the center back. Most of them aren't, which means you'd need to add fiber to make it look nice and hide the wig structure. Here's the tutorial I used to do that: http://www.katiebair.com/wigtutorial_parting.html
Mieal Deneb (Rachel Orange)
Active Legion Member

Droid Wranglers (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of tutorials on this costume up at the top where the Tutorial section is, that might help.
Blue (Beth)
Legion Costume Judge
Legion Costume Judge

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not, I just used bobby pins to hold the plates on the belt with the button. I'll see if I can find some time to post a few pics, but basically used the bobby pin to act like a cotter pin. The plates slide a bit, but not terribly.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I went for approval and got denied. One of the reasons was for the gown being too long. However, I feel like if I cut it any shorter then it would be too short. What do you guys think?

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q680/cwilkinson93/frontnohood_zps06cbb1f6.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q680/cwilkinson93/back_zps0d56071e.jpg

http://i1353.photobucket.com/albums/q680/cwilkinson93/pose_zpse565eff0.jpg

Also, I have to put a lining inside because the dress is still a bit sheer. How do I go about doing that?
Leia (Vera Campbell)
Active Legion Member

Gold Star (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm confused why they would say that about the hem length, I just looked at several Leia reference pictures and I don't think it's too long at all.

You may want to take better pictures. I notice the angle of the pictures looks skewed and I had this happen a few times when I've had a photographer take pictures who was taller than me, it made me look shorter. The camera needs to be at about waist level so we get a good clear view and can see exactly where the hem hits.

It's best to add the lining during construction, but I'd say take the sleeves off, make another copy of the body and line the inside. Line the sleeves then re-attach. Did they tell you to add the collar that Leia has? What other things did they suggest? We highly encourage new members to post, with pictures, while they are building to help prevent getting denied and having to start over. Smile

Costumer of the Year - 2010
Current Build Threads: Meadow Gown: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=100662
Ceremonial Leia: http://www.forum.rebellegion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=986837#986837
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, they did tell me about the collar. I do have a collar on it, but the girl who attached the collar and hood for me attached the hood on after the collar. So now my hood comes out of the collar instead of being underneath it. So yes I have to redo that too.
Also, do you think instead of doing a lining, I could just wear some sort f nude colored leotard?
Obi Anne (Johanna Nybelius)
Active Legion Member

Medals: 3 (View more...)
Philippines Typhon Relief (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just going to say that I might not need a lining, since it's only your bra/tanktop that visible. This might come as a surprise but try the dress on with the brightest red underwear you can find. Red under a white layer, like your dress, is actually more invisible than nude coloured underwear under white.
Rebel Legion Reserve

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obi Anne wrote:
I was just going to say that I might not need a lining, since it's only your bra/tanktop that visible. This might come as a surprise but try the dress on with the brightest red underwear you can find. Red under a white layer, like your dress, is actually more invisible than nude coloured underwear under white.

Lol Johanna I thought you were crazy before I tried this. The red does actually look somewhat invisible! I'm going to try to find some sort of leotard that comes up to my neck that also has some sort of shorts attached to it...i don't really know if they make that sort of thing haha i guess I'll find out
RebelSenator ()
Active Legion Member

Celebration Anaheim (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try a nude bra? White always shows under white in photographs but nude usually doesn't
Leia8674 (Macy)
Active Legion Member

Website Supporter (Amount: 1)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 9:51 pm    Post subject: Belt Reply with quote

Hi - were you able to get answers or do you still need help?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Rebel Legion Forum Index -> Costume and Prop Making -> Royalty/Senatorial -> Leia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: